Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Firestarter Rebound Edition

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    They are beautiful. Are you going to laser etch the Title and/or art on them?
    Yes, that would be the next phase for the boards. Get the lazer engraving done, and then onto the bookbinder.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome stuff, Paul!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Excitement Bump

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Firestarter Rebound Edition

Good timing on the bump. I was about to post a production update today.

The board production is taking longer than expected. Jim underestimated the time needed to complete this many boards. He's spending a significant amount of time on each and getting them just right. Of course there's two per book so there is a lot to make. There are so many steps and so much manual labor than goes into making these wood boards and perfecting them.

Also some don't end up meeting quality requirements, so he has to make more than what was initially planned. This sort of stuff you don't know until you actually get deep into production.

He's looking to hire some help to move things along. We also have to wait for the last lot of cut wood to dry as it has to air dry. In the middle of it all, he is going to be away for three weeks teaching and giving classes. I am safely estimating another 3 months for completion.

Anyway.... thanks for your patience. I can tell you, it will be well worth the wait. The level of craftsmanship that is going into these books is astounding.

To leverage this time now waiting for the boards, the bookbinder is starting to prepare the page blocks and I am getting the laser engraving done on the boards that I do have on hand. So this will save us some time when all the boards are ready.

Everything else is in place. Signed prints, original illustrations, etc.

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the update, brother. Just thinking about the craftsmanship going into these can make one downright giddy. Definitely worth the wait

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

HOW IS THAT "FIRESTARTER" COMING ALONG?

LOOKS LIKE WE WILL ALL HAVE TO RELAX A WHILE LONGER ON OUR QUEST FOR THE "FIRESTARTER"

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the update! Agree it's definitely worth the wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    The board production is taking longer than expected. Jim underestimated the time needed to complete this many boards. He's spending a significant amount of time on each and getting them just right. Of course there's two per book so there is a lot to make. There are so many steps and so much manual labor than goes into making these wood boards and perfecting them.

Also some don't end up meeting quality requirements, so he has to make more than what was initially planned. This sort of stuff you don't know until you actually get deep into production.

He's looking to hire some help to move things along. We also have to wait for the last lot of cut wood to dry as it has to air dry. In the middle of it all, he is going to be away for three weeks teaching and giving classes. I am safely estimating another 3 months for completion.

Anyway.... thanks for your patience. I can tell you, it will be well worth the wait. The level of craftsmanship that is going into these books is astounding.

To leverage this time now waiting for the boards, the bookbinder is starting to prepare the page blocks and I am getting the laser engraving done on the boards that I do have on hand. So this will save us some time when all the boards are ready.

Everything else is in place. Signed prints, original illustrations, etc.
    Good wood is worth the wait.

As a woodworker, these boards are a very exciting part for me.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Brain This young lady would like to know....
    Spoiler:
    Are you the woodworker who gets wood from wood?

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

You walked right into that one Brian. ;-)

Thanks for your understanding everyone!

Bruce, maybe I should tell Jim to stop using a stick and kindling to scorch the boards. Might save some time.

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the update Paul. I love hearing about the inner workings and have no problem waiting. It's like Christmas all year 'round when you're a book collector

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Lori. The bookbinder got the books today, so he can start preparing the page blocks. This will give us a jump on that while we're waiting for the rest of the boards.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Do you have a wish date release of the Firestarter?
    Yes. I actually just got off the phone with Jim who is making the boards. I don't typically set official 'release dates' for the custom bound books, but right now the Firestarters should be done around July as well. The boards need to be air dried and not kiln dried, so the drying process takes longer. We're getting there. Everything else is lined up and ready to go.
    Did we ever get a look at the custom handmade traycase? Still hoping for July?
    Hi Jeff, thanks for checking in. Here's an update I posted mid May. We're just waiting on the wood boards. The enclosure for the book will start production soon, but nothing to show yet. Everything has been pushed out as a result of the boards taking longer than expected. As soon as I have another update, I'll post here. It will all be worth the wait.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks!

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Firestarter Rebound Edition

Production update for you. I got a call this week from Jim (for those who may be out of the loop, Jim is the craftsman who is making the wood boards), and he said that the wood is now dry. We have been waiting for that to happen so he could continue with the board production.

So that's some good news. He will be working on the boards and is also looking to hire someone to assist.

Anyway, things are moving along. In the meantime, work has started on the clamshell box that will be housing the finished book, so we are at least utilizing this time while we wait for the boards.

Thanks for your patience!

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Exciting news! Thanks for the update Paul!

Wanted:

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just rewatched the video of Jim explaining the wooden book board process. I find it quite awesome.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome news!

Load up the Spaceship with the Rocket Fuel

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I just rewatched the video of Jim explaining the wooden book board process. I find it quite awesome.

We all know how much you love your wood Brian!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

I've got wood, and I know how to use it.

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

I've got wood, and I know how to use it.
    I can't believe there isn't a face palm emoticon.
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

What's up campers... Wanted to give you an update on this one. Talked to Jim today (I call him weekly now), and he is making good progress. The wood-drying phase is done, or was done a few weeks ago. I tell you, that was like watching paint dry, or in this case, wood dry.

He is now able to cut, shape and finish the boards, and is doing just that. So he's working it, and there is forward momentum; and even though it is slow momentum, it is momentum nonetheless.

It's looking like a fall release for this. I know... further out than I had planned, but the boards were a far bigger job that he had anticipated, and it's the sort of thing I have little control over as I'm not any good at making wooden book boards! Although, I could do one thing to light the fire, so to speak, and that was to offer up a cash bonus if he can get these completed pronto, which I have done. And it seemed to me to be a fair offer anyway, since he has ended up spending a whole lot more time on this than expected.

I had hoped this would be done before I announce the next one, but rest assured, she will be done, and it will be worth the wait.

Thank you again for your patience.

Peace.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the update Paul! I'm happy to wait for something like this and a couple extra weeks/months is definitely reasonable.

Thanks for staying in top of everything and keeping us in the loop!

Wanted:

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

What's up campers... Wanted to give you an update on this one. Talked to Jim today (I call him weekly now), and he is making good progress. The wood-drying phase is done, or was done a few weeks ago. I tell you, that was like watching paint dry, or in this case, wood dry.

He is now able to cut, shape and finish the boards, and is doing just that. So he's working it, and there is forward momentum; and even though it is slow momentum, it is momentum nonetheless.

It's looking like a fall release for this. I know... further out than I had planned, but the boards were a far bigger job that he had anticipated, and it's the sort of thing I have little control over as I'm not any good at making wooden book boards! Although, I could do one thing to light the fire, so to speak, and that was to offer up a cash bonus if he can get these completed pronto, which I have done. And it seemed to me to be a fair offer anyway, since he has ended up spending a whole lot more time on this than expected.

I had hoped this would be done before I announce the next one, but rest assured, she will be done, and it will be worth the wait.

Peace.
    Great news Paul....Thanks for the update
    Spoiler:

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Peace.
    Awesome news. Looking forward to it. No doubt, worth the wait. Thanks for the updates

Load up the Spaceship with the Rocket Fuel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast