View Poll Results: Please choose one

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Coldplay - Clocks

7 41.18%
  • Johnny Cash - Hurt

10 58.82%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great Music - Semifinals: 2000-2004 (Bracket 1 of 2)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Great Music - Semifinals: 2000-2004 (Bracket 1 of 2)

For this playoffs poll, please choose one track to move on to the Finals.

IMPORTANT! Please do not simply vote on name recognition (or lack thereof) alone. Please do listen to each nomination and then make your choice. Even if you think you know a track well, it's still worth giving it a listen for a refresher.

The poll will run for seven days. Discussion is greatly encouraged!

The nominees are (please let me know if any video doesn't play for you):

Coldplay - Clocks (2002)

Johnny Cash - Hurt (2002)

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Clocks

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    Clocks
    Of course. What a painfully beautiful song.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Clocks
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Cash.

This was a tough choice though.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hurt. The other song is something I can't even stand to hear.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    The other song is something I can't even stand to hear.
    Really? Such an amazingly beautiful melody!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep. It doesn't elicit a positive response from me at all. I really do not like listening to it.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    The other song is something I can't even stand to hear.
    Really? Such an amazingly beautiful melody!

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, completely opposite for me. Very emotional repose here. Funny how the same thing can work completely differently for different people. But with any tournament I strive to be as objective as possible.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I will say for the 2000s and on I have very little personal experiences which correlate to these songs. I'm sure that is a factor.

Wow, completely opposite for me. Very emotional repose here. Funny how the same thing can work completely differently for different people. But with any tournament I strive to be as objective as possible.

Country
    Country Flag

I cannot divorce Cash's cover from the original, which is so ingrained in my brain. It's such an amazing song:

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I cannot divorce Cash's cover from the original, which is so ingrained in my brain. It's such an amazing song:

I've never heard this version before. Just curious, is it supposed to sound like a badly tuned radio (especially the left channel)? Or is it something wrong with my connection (at least the first 3:30 sounded this way). Annoying to the point that I would never listen to this version again.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Country
    Country Flag

That is the original. And yes, the sound design on that track (and the album in general) is mind-blowing. The Downward Spiral is a concept album, so to me, it's the disintegrating finish to the self-destructive personality it's about. Great conversation about the album here: http://www.popmatters.com/post/19030...wnward-spiral/ A couple of quotes:

If there was one album that could concisely sum up my musical taste as a teenager, it would be Nine Inch Nail’s The Downward Spiral. In 1994, I was wandering around the rock and roll wilderness, trying to find my way with nothing more than a couple of Rush records and a mixtape of Pink Floyd’s greatest hits. Then the video for “Closer” hit MTV and my world changed. A path opened up in the woods and I was shown the way into my rock and roll. I spent the next couple of years listening to The Downward Spiral record, along with the rest of the NIN archive, plus a myriad of less talented bands who were proffering the industrial rock that was fighting for ears in the mid ‘90s. None of it was as well thought out as Trent Reznor’s vision. Some of it was downright terrible (obligatory finger pointing at Marilyn Manson—not the worst, but a frequent and repeat offender). By the end of high school I had cut my long hair, boxed up the black t-shirts and acquired a marginally better taste in music. I would check in with Nine Inch Nails from time to time over the last decade but it seemed that aside from the ardent following Reznor had built for himself, there was little cultural currency left in the newer albums, as he drifted into an atmospheric approach that lent itself better to movie scores than rock albums.

I was the angst-ridden teenager in 1994. The anger and alienation that drove The Downward Spiral spoke to me on a level like no other music. In retrospect, there is no way I could fully understand the thematic material that formed the basis of Reznor’s musical neurosis. But the sheer sonic push of the record speaks a universal language and as soon as the gunshots in the beginning of “Mr. Self Destruct” morphed into that unstoppable beat, I was hooked. I’m not nearly as captivated as I once was. The unmitigated anger and depression no longer speaks to me and I find it a bit off putting having to listen to a man battle his demons for an hour before pulling the trigger.

Despite all of that, I’m still amazed at the sonic landscapes that Reznor paints throughout the album. They are intricate and complex, a layered aural visage that loops around itself, repeating phrases and hooks as it ebbs and flows from a torrential flood to a quiet trickle. On top of all of that, we get to see Reznor as a master synthesizer, marrying synth pop, the rhythmic nature of Joy Division with nods to hip-hop, and classic rock in a complex package that expertly used the quiet/loud dichotomy of grunge music but eschewed the stripped down aesthetics for something much more complicated. Listen to “Ruiner”. Reznor packs all of that into five minutes of agro-rock.

Nine Inch Nail’s music may be slightly unconventional, abrasive or obtuse, but strip away the layers and under almost every track on The Downward Spiral is a pop song with an undeniable groove or a beautiful melody so stunningly stark that its hard to believe they all start in the same place. Reznor did manage to write one truly magnificent song and he did it without the drum machine, synthesizer or industrial noises. At the end of an hour of angry ranting, the acoustic “Hurt” stands in sharp contrast to the agro-rock that fills most of the record. This is the song that ultimately makes this record work, not only for its beauty, but for the needed resolution to sixty minutes of full-throttle rage and providing the slightest sliver of hope before the album fades into feedback and white noise. In the more experienced hands of Johnny Cash, “Hurt” was taken to an entirely different level and exposed to an audience to otherwise would not have heard any of Reznor’s music. The resurrection of “Hurt”, nearly a decade after its original release is really a testament to not only Cash’s ability to hear the music through the song, but Reznor’s skills as a songwriter.
    "Closer" and "Hurt" from this album should really have made it much further in this tournament than they did.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I've long lost track of many times I've heard "Hurt". Four times live now. NIN usually end their shows with it, at least all the ones I've seen so far.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hurt

but Clocks is a damn good song

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. "Hurt" will face Michael Andrews feat. Gary Jules - Mad World (2002) in the Finals.

+ Reply to Thread