Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Donate to keep the site robust and ad free!

Clown on the Bus Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Donation sent!

Dan
    Good health to all!!!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to all that donated. I'll be pulling the donation button in a couple of days.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I finally remembered my password. Donated.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I finally remembered my password. Donated.

John
    If John can manage to donate, then the challenge has been set for members who are fortunate enough to be healthier. A dime a day is $36.50 for a year.

crownandcola@aol.com

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the reminder - meant to donate a second time this month.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm removing the donation button in two days.
    Thanks to everyone who has donated!

I am extremely grateful for the support.

My "hobby" has been delightful for the last 9+ years.
    Eerily reminiscent of my original job. I started at the very bottom and worked myself to the the highest position. It took me ~ 15 years at my job to get there and I loved the first 20 of the 30 years I was there. I had bad days, bad weeks, yet loved the first two decades. I had the pleasure of actually looking forward to going to work-a rare thing nowadays. The last 10 years were done under duress from a take-over company, but I consistently produced the highest sales and profits in my region ( ~180 supermarkets).

Early on in 2007 I begged for a job here. Had Patrick not gone out on a limb to beg for me by proxy, I'd have never been "hired".
    Over 1,000 labor hours were spent creating and populating the Catalog and Calendar. I had a great deal of help so it was not a solo task...it was/is a labor of love.

After 10 years of service here, I plan on retiring from this hobby at the end of 2017. I don't believe I can continue to perform here at the highest level. There is no succession plan.

It is disheartened that no matter what I do, people more and more (that's the internet, I know), want everything for free.
    In 2015 members donated well over $2K. This year (despite me spending over $2k on a new server which had to be purchased or the site would have literally died with no notice, and over $1K on hosting) members have donated just over $1K.

I retired from my actual job after 30 years (no pension). I'll be retiring here a bit after my 10 years of service (a pleasure).

Thanks to every member who has helped and I promise to deliver the best and most informative Stephen King site on the internet through 2017.

A hobby is one thing, a job is another. A job usually pays, and a hobby always costs...

Jerome

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Regarding Jerome's post here :
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...=1#post1038601

First of all, thanks for the many hours spent on this website, and maintaining it.
    Do you mean that you will close the board in a year, if nobody wants to keep it?

I personally do not mind advertising : i actually work professionally on websites owned by a company within the Lagardere / Hachette conglomerate, and we rely on advertising. The fact that more and more people use adblockers is an issue for us, but it's also because the advertising industry have been doing a lot of bad things too.
    But, I support advertising as long as it's not too annoying and is relevant.

Also, why not stopping the HAVEN FUNDRAIDER for actually doing a fundraider for keeping the forum online instead?
    I personally dont care about the Fundraiser as I am not an american freelancer, and I dont think that people here would care that much if it wasnt to try to get a signed /personalised book.

Just my two cents.
    Also, unfortunately I didnt give this year because I had waaaaaay too many expenses this end of the year, and uncertainty about my wife's upcoming incomes. I could however do a modest donation now that i have been payed and if the button was still up.

Thanks again.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That's sad to hear, boss! But I completely understand. Hopefully someone else will have the time and means to keep the forum afloat. I know it won't be me, I have neither of the two unfortunately.

You've done great work for the King community, and raising funds for charity. I really respect everything you've done here and look forward to spending the last year of the site, or at least with you as admin, with you.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Jerome, Thank you for the heads up and putting this awesome community together. My collecting days are basically over due to various reasons but I still find myself coming back to this board for information and community interaction(s). I have very little history with internet forums but in my limited experience this one has a unique "feel" to it and is singularly the most informative in regards to SK.

Whatever happens here I want to thank you for your efforts and time here. Thank you.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

When my Stephen King hobby feels like a job, I am out of here. I enjoy collecting and looking at the site, although limited lately, because my funds have dried up as well. I seriously considered selling my collection a few times to pay off much needed medical bills, but i thought the bills will always be there and my books would take forever if ever to get back. Anybody have regrets selling their collection?

i think the Haven Foundation Fundraiser is great, but I even had to cut back on donating to that too.

I dont think ADS would be a bad thing, i would like to see the site up and running for along time. I miss some of the frequent posters to the site...

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

So, am I reading your message right? That the site will inevitably cease to exist after 2017 unless someone wants to manage it?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

A couple questions:

Jerome,

Are you stopping because you're tired of managing DT.org? If so, I completely respect and understand that and thank you for a wonderful time. I consider DT my second family.

Are you stopping because last year members donated $2000 and this year $1000? If so, stop the Haven Fund Raiser and make it the DT.Org fundraiser. If money is left over from the DT needs, by all means, give to the foundation.

How much a year do you need in order to maintain DT.org?

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I agree with the above post. I've donated to keep the site ad free and would be up for donating to keep it running if that's what it takes. This place is like a second home to me and I'd hate to see it go if it's because of the financial burden of it.

If I see it go because Jerome is simply wanting to retire from it, I can do nothing but respectfully accept that. I mean, I'll still go cry in the corner when it's all said and done, but...

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I can't imagine myself not spending time here. I LOVE this place and spent a lot of great moments here. If the problem is the money, I think there should be a visible target. And the Heaven FR should come in second place. First this place. It's our space and I think a lot of us enjoy it more than we could explain.

Jerome, besides the donation, what else can we do to help you with? Please let us know. As I said: I LOVE DT.ORG.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

^Good thought Ari! Maybe sharing the load a bit might make you feel a bit more at ease here again.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I love the site and the community of friends I have made here. Like Mulleins said, if you're just tired of managing it then I respect that. If it's more about the money, then the idea of doing a fundraiser makes a lot of sense.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm just a bit disillusioned and a bit down that there are numerous members who could send money, but don't. Many of these people have received numerous bargains by coming here, saving sometimes hundreds of dollars annually. There are also sellers who save quite a bit in fees, yet for reasons unknown, don't contribute. I understand if money is tight, and hate to come off as not being sympathetic, but it's baffling that people who come here ever day can't give a dime a day. Even if it was $10 four times a year.
    This year was tough as I had to buy a new (refurbished) server, drives, etc. to build it, a fair amount to ship a 70lb. unit to L.A. and the labor for someone at the server farm to install it.
    The replacement was preemptive and neccessary as one of the processors failed on the unit and if the second unit failed, the site would instantly turn off and likely be down for 1-2 weeks.

Between last years donations and this years donations I should barely break even.

For those of you who want to see what a discussion board with ads looks like, I suggest you do a Google search for "Acura Fuel Gauge Problem".
    Go to what should be the #1 result-Acurazine.
    Navigate through the posts and see if ads pop up.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why pull the donate button down? I (and others) may be a little short right now, but maybe after the first of the year or later will have some extra. I don't think it bothers anybody being there...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Why pull the donate button down? I (and others) may be a little short right now, but maybe after the first of the year or later will have some extra. I don't think it bothers anybody being there...
    The primary reason is that when we start the Haven Foundation Fundraiser, the button is used for that.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

As already mentioned, do a fundraiser as always, but this site (ad free) comes first. Anything left over, send to Haven.

I'm one of the members that hasn't put money in yet that Jerome is talking about. Why? Because I purchased a signed King to donate as a prize. But if it's only for the Haven, I'm not helping now. Sounds mean, I know. Look at this way...without this site taken care of first you won't have donations by DT members to even give to The Haven Fund. The cart (DT.org) comes first.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm now just over a year into this place and love it - I've made friendships and learned a hell of a lot. (And I've always bloody hated the idea of online forums, until this one). I'd hate to see this place go, and it takes a certain disposition to keep the wildlife tame (which RF does very well, so I'd hate to see you go too RF). I think Ralph and Ari have a good idea - perhaps a % of every donation to the Haven Fund goes towards running this place (e.g., say 10%, until a threshold is reached)? This in addition to the donation button. And perhaps if the donation button has to go, there can be some permanent reminder banner on the site that "Donations are welcome, message X or Y" and PayPals can be sent... Whatever it takes - there's no place for SK collectors like this place.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would be very sad to see this site go. I don't have account with any other site (face book, Twitter, Pinterest etc) although my wage goes on my three girls two dogs and medication i would make cut backs on painkillers to see this place continue... but if you WANT to retire from this then thank you for the enjoyment that you have given!!!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I concur with the above sentiments. A lot of us have reasons for not being able to donate at this time but after the first of the year I would be in better shape to do so. I don't have to stay in Mississippi any more and spend money on my Mom's care or her funeral and can get back to Dallas and have a secure connection. I have always donated to the site/ad thing and Haven but this year life got in the way.

The site should come first and Haven second. Sure it's nice to make Uncle Stevey happy with a big check to Haven but if the site goes, so does that.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

While I was ale to contribute this year; last year I was not in position in time. The button had come and gone.Furthermore, I'd like to contribute several time a year but there seems to be limited times when the button and my budget correspond.

With all of the hook ups and relationships, eHarmony or Match.com subscriptions are saved too!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Just donated what I could. Love this place would hate to see it gone.........

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast