Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: The Official 2017 Oscar Discussion/Contest Thread

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I ended up with 13. Outside of Best Picture (never thought a small film like Moonlight would beat La La Land), I got all the big awards...all four acting awards, best director, both screenplays, score (given), cinematography, and production design. Figures Hacksaw Ridge, the only best picture nominee I didn't watch took two technical awards on which I couldn't judge properly. OJ is so hot right now so that seemed like a shoe-in. Basically take away the shorts (I'm lucky to get one right) and the costumes/make up (which I don't believe I have ever gotten right), and foreign language film and animated film (of which I saw zero of the nominees for either) I only missed 3 that I had seen most to judge on, and two of those went to Hacksaw which I didn't watch. Not a bad year for me. Probably my best year.
    Actually you did better last year - you scored 15 then.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I honestly can't believe that Piper won best animated short. WTF is that about? It's because it's Pixar! Borrowed time told a powerful albeit limited story but had simply gorgeous animation, and was done by Pixar animators independently. Pearl was really well done as well. Pear Cider and Cigarettes was by far the most inventive when it came to style and animation (I really wish these categories didn't seem to favour computer animation over other mediums). Piper was incredibly underwhelming to me. I didn't think the plot was anything special not, was the animation as impressive, not did it move me or really impact me at all.
    My thoughts exactly. It's funny because when we watched them, right after Piper ended I turned to Matt and said, that was cute but how on earth did it even get nominated. My guess is because it was a Pixar short. And go figure, it won. Definitely the least deserving of the animated shorts in my opinion. And I completely agree that I dislike that they seem to favor the computer animated ones. Can we please get real animation back...

Also really glad that Sing won for live action short. I didn't think it was going to. It was the only live action short I cared for. It was lighthearted but also told a message.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

So I just saw that Moonlight won best picture. I was falling asleep watching the show last night so when they announced that La La Land won best picture I shut off the tv and went to bed. Guess I should have watched for a few mins longer I'm pretty surprised. Seemed like La La Land was the favorite, not sure many people saw Moonlight winning. Too bad they messed it up when announcing it.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Did anyone else notice the LLL producer just snatch the envelope out of Warren Beatty's hands?

Steve Harvey was be one smiling mf right now.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Did anyone else notice the LLL producer just snatch the envelope out of Warren Beatty's hands?

Steve Harvey was be one smiling mf right now.
    Yeah, he was apparently he noticed there was a mistake and was the one who basically brought the party to a close.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, it looks like we were all pretty close with the number of correct picks we all got. I don't think we've ever had everyone be THAT close before (and so many ties). I did about how I thought I would--not amazing, but not terrible either. Congrats to TDogz on winning (and thanks to Mike for running the contest again)!

As for the show itself, I thought it was one of the most entertaining shows in recent years. The opening was actually fun and not stuffy, they did a nice job at keeping things moving at a quick pace, and I liked that it didn't drag after the first half. Plus, there were enough good chunks of entertainment to keep things light, fun, and interesting (the candy parachutes, the tour bus of tourists, the "Lion King" bit, etc.) throughout the show. It also helped that the speeches were reined in and there were barely any winners played off stage. Overall, it was light and fun and not too, too heavy on political statements.

I think Jimmy Kimmel did a pretty good job, too. He wasn't laugh-out-loud hysterical, but he wasn't obnoxious and a lot of his jokes landed. I liked how present he was, too. He seemed to pop in and out a lot more than recent hosts.

(A note on run time: I'm not sure why they don't just expand the "official" timeslot of the show by an extra half hour. The show ALWAYS goes over its time by at least thirty minutes. Either cut some awards or cut some original content, but I'm not sure the show will ever fit into 3 hrs. with the amount of awards, original content, songs, and pre-recorded montages and clips.)

I'd still like to see more of an emphasis on the fun and magic of movies and filmmaking in general, but it was a fun show overall and I enjoyed watching.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Me and my friend were joking that Mel Gibson was a huge Trump supporter and was going to run up onto the stage, in a Make Mel Gibson Great Again hat, and suicide bomb Mahershala Ali for being Muslim, but then Andrew Garfield would jump out of his seat and kick Gibson up into the air and through the roof where he'd explode in the air.

And John Cho was funnier almost his his little segment with Leslie Mann than Kimmel was as a whole. Considering I kind of hate Jimmy Kimmel, I'll say he did a good job. He wasn't the funniest host, but his experience really shined through. It's the same reason why Ellen and Chris Rock did such good jobs, because of their experience with live crowds and stand up comedy. And, much like Ellen, I might not think they are the funniest people out there, but I'll damned if they aren't both charming! Cho and Mann for 2018!

I thought the show was very entertaining as well, especially compared to the last couple of years. I've also wondered why they don't expand the time slot. Has it ever not run over? I doubt it. Also really wish they would start it earlier for us here on the east coast. Didn't it use to at least start at 8? Now it's 8:30, which is just way too late for me to stay up. I don't know how I managed to make it to the end. And I've been a zombie all day because of it

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I thought the show was very entertaining as well, especially compared to the last couple of years. I've also wondered why they don't expand the time slot. Has it ever not run over? I doubt it. Also really wish they would start it earlier for us here on the east coast. Didn't it use to at least start at 8? Now it's 8:30, which is just way too late for me to stay up. I don't know how I managed to make it to the end. And I've been a zombie all day because of it
    You think 8:30pm is bad?? For me, the show didn't start until 1:30am and finished gone 5:00am. THAT was hardcore!!!

I could never handle that

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Well, it looks like we were all pretty close with the number of correct picks we all got. I don't think we've ever had everyone be THAT close before (and so many ties). I did about how I thought I would--not amazing, but not terrible either.
    This was one of the more closely contested years we've ever had. (See result history below) We had a three way tie a few years ago with me, you and Heather. Honestly, when I was doing the scoring, I thought you were going to win. I know you were nervous because you didn't do as much homework, but it doesn't matter. I saw almost every film and you and I tied.

Congrats to TDogz on winning (and thanks to Mike for running the contest again)!
    T-Dogz is the only person to beat Heather, it would have been cool to see him enter last year. He might be on a 3 year win streak. Also, you're welcome! I love running the tournament and I thought the online form worked out nicely. It made scoring things at the end of the night easier.

As for the show itself, I thought it was one of the most entertaining shows in recent years. The opening was actually fun and not stuffy, they did a nice job at keeping things moving at a quick pace, and I liked that it didn't drag after the first half. Plus, there were enough good chunks of entertainment to keep things light, fun, and interesting (the candy parachutes, the tour bus of tourists, the "Lion King" bit, etc.) throughout the show. It also helped that the speeches were reined in and there were barely any winners played off stage. Overall, it was light and fun and not too, too heavy on political statements.
    Completely agree. I thought this was the case even before the historic ending. It's pretty cool though that we will be talking about that moment for years to come. It will be a trivia question and everything. It should have never happened, but that's besides the point. I would have liked to have seen an opening that included all the films or something, but I understand doing the musical dance number. Jimmy's opening was strong, I loved the bus tour bit. I also thought the We Bought a Zoo bit was great too

I'd still like to see more of an emphasis on the fun and magic of movies and filmmaking in general, but it was a fun show overall and I enjoyed watching.
    This is always the case for me as well. I will say that I loved the segments where actors were talking about who they looked up to. The segment with Michael J. Fox was great. I also really loved the segment that had fans of film like ourselves talking about what they loved about cinema. I love stuff like that. For people like us, we love the Oscars because we love film.

As for the awards themselves, there were quite a few surprises. This was especially the case in the technical categories. Arrival winning a sound Osar, Suicide Squad and Fantastic Beasts were all relative surprises.

I figured Casey was going to win for months, then Denzel won the SAG and started gaining steam, so I switched to him. Regardless, I was happy to see Casey take it. I also had a feeling Best Picture and Best Director were going to split, I just thought it would be opposite.

I thought it was a strong year for film, and honestly, I think 2017 is off to a great start. Get Out, John Wick 2 and Lego Batman were all really good. We might be in for a very good year.

Past results:

2010 results
    Heather - 15
    Servant - 14
    Turtlex - 14
    Cody - 8
    Seymour - 8
    Odetta - 4

2011 results
    Heather - 17
    Servant - 15
    Path - 14
    Mattrick - 14
    Ricky - 12
    Merlin - 11
    Feev - 8

2012 results
    Servant - 14
    Heather - 14
    Ricky - 14
    Stockerlone - 12
    Shannon - 11
    Thorin- 10
    Mattrick - 9
    Feev - 8
    Garrell - 8
    Odetta - 5
    Mystima - 4

2013 results
    Heather - 20
    Servant - 17
    Ricky - 15
    Matt - 14
    Stockerlone - 13
    Feev - 12
    Pablo - 10

2014 results
    Heather - 22
    Ricky - 20
    Servant - 19
    Randall - 16
    Pablo - 13
    Matt - 10
    Mystima - 10
    Merlin - 7
    Stockerlone - 6

2015 results
    T-Dogz - 20
    George Monkey - 19
    Lurker - 19
    Ricky - 18
    Servant - 17
    Feev - 17
    Heather - 15
    Shannon - 15
    Pablo - 13
    Stocker - 9
    Matt - 6

2016 results
    Heather - 17 (winner by tiebreaker - Mad Max 6)
    Servant - 17
    Pablo - 16
    T-Dogz - 16
    Ricky - 15
    Matt - 15
    Lurker - 14
    Stocker - 8

2017 Results
    TDogz - 16 (winner by tiebreaker)
    Doc Z - 16
    Tommy - 16
    Ricky - 15
    Lurker - 15
    Servant - 15
    Heather - 14
    Pablo -14
    Matt - 13
    RF - 13
    Stocker - 8
    Merlin - 7
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I love Jimmy Kimmel, so I enjoyed the show immensely. All the feud stuff with Matt Damon was awesome.

My favorite skit was when he was watching We Bought A Zoo and he was mocking Damon's performance; "it's so... effortfull"

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey I tied Heather, I'm happy!

It's great to see the scores all together for the past years. So aside from those very predictable years for me where I got 22 and 20, I've stayed pretty consistent with 14-15.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    It's great to see the scores all together for the past years. So aside from those very predictable years for me where I got 22 and 20, I've stayed pretty consistent with 14-15.
    That year you dropped 22 was straight up amazing. Ricky got 20 and still lost by 2. That's pretty amazing.

I remember it well. The one I got wrong was the animated short, and that was the first year I saw them so should have had a leg up on that award, but alas no

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Always a bridesmaid! Not bad for my first time. Turned out to be what I call a spread-the-wealth kind of Oscars. I think people finally realized that La La Land was not as good a movie as it was originally thought to be. I liked it, but didn't love it. Kimmel on the other hand, killed it last night. One of the most consistently humorous hosts I can remember in years. He may not have gotten me with many belly laughs, but I was very amused throughout. Thanks for organizing the event.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Always a bridesmaid! Not bad for my first time.
    You did great. You came so close to winning. If you had picked Hacksaw Ridge to win Best Sound Mixing instead of Sound Editing, you would have won.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Actually you did better last year - you scored 15 then.
    I was more referring to getting all the big awards right (excluding BP which I haven't gotten right ever.). If I get acting/directing/cinematography/writing/score/production design right, I'm satisfied. And this is the first year I got each of them right! In 2013 I missed best/supporting actor, cinematography, and design, and in 2014 I missed both lead acting awards and Adapted Screenplay, and in 2015 I missed both lead acting awards, director, Original screenplay, score, cinematography, and last year I missed both supporting (I still can't believe Rylance won it!), and adapted screenplay. In my own personal contest, I was 10/10 last night! And the movie I wanted to win Best Picture actually won, but I didn't pick it because what I want to win never wins, and if I go with what I figure the academy will choose, they pick something out of left field like Spotlight!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8