+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Custom Stephen King Slipcases

John F. Kennedy Geminii23 will become famous soon enough Geminii23's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default My Custom Stephen King Slipcases

Hi everyone!

I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate place because I am not sure this would be consider art, but I decided to create this thread as a one stop place to post all of my slipcase designs. I will continually update as I create new slipcases.

I am uploading in the order in which I created them...Let's get started... Round 1

MISERY

DOLORES CLAIBORNE

NEEDFUL THINGS

Country
    Country Flag

Round 2...

11/22/63

THE STAND

LISEY'S STORY

FULL DARK, NO STARS

BAZAAR of BAD DREAMS

Country
    Country Flag

Round 3...

FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT

UNDER THE DOME

ROSE MADDER and NIGHTMARES & DREAMSCAPES

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You make these YOURSELF? Do you sell them?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Round 4...

CELL

GERALD'S GAME

INSOMNIA

CUJO

EYES OF THE DRAGON

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

These are great! Seriously, do you sell them?!

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice DIY slipcases. I've been wanting to do the same but haven't yet. I have some supplies. Did you learn from someone?
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool. I really like EOTD.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    Very nice DIY slipcases. I've been wanting to do the same but haven't yet. I have some supplies. Did you learn from someone?
    I watched a lot of YouTube videos on how to build craft boxes and what not. If you search you will find a few really good videos about making slipcases and I think maybe even some on tray cases. I haven't been daring enough to try that yet. I also researched a lot on how books are bound and repaired. I make sure to use high-quality PVA archival glue and acid free paper for the inner lining of the cases and good quality book board for the build. I also did a lot of research on what materials the professionals use for the faux leather. So it has been a lot of trial and error. I guess the method I came up with for how I do the lettering was all my own creative problem solving. I couldn't afford to buy a Hot Foil Embossing setup and a 3D die cutter which is probably what Cemetery Dance's Slipcase manufacturer uses. So I have to design the cases in photoshop and then use a Cricut to cut the material.

I am working on my Dark Tower complete set of slipcases right now and taking photos of the different steps in the process. I might make a video tutorial at some point that I could share with everyone.

It's definitely not a cheap endeavor and pretty time consuming. I do buy all the material in bulk to save some money, but I just don't know how much each slipcase would really be worth to people and if it would be a profitable time cs cost option. I think I would be willing to do something in trade though if someone had a specific collectible/signed book that they really wanted a nice custom slipcase for.

Thank you again to all for the praise and positive feedback!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

It's nice to see a true craftsman at work. Wonderful slipcases!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Very Nice. There are a couple of threads dedicated to custom slipcases:

These are by Dolso, who makes some beautiful wooden cases:
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...d-cases-thread

And this thread contains some that are a joint effort between myself (design and artwork) and Jeff who makes the actual cases:
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...-amp-Traycases
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

And this thread contains some that are a joint effort between myself (design and artwork) and Jeff who makes the actual cases:
    Whoah! Some awesome stuff there! Would love to talk to you more about these. Do you do all the hot foiling stamping too?
    “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” - Steve Jobs, Apple Inc. RIP

My Videos
    My Artwork

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Geminii23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

Whoah! Some awesome stuff there! Would love to talk to you more about these. Do you do all the hot foiling stamping too?
    All stamping is done by Jeff. He gets plates made from my designs. We have so far managed to get enough interest in each case so the cost of the plate is covered by Jeff. - PM me if you have any specific questions.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Very innovative and they look great however, I hate to break it to you, but they appear to use the copyrighted lettering fonts. If so, you may be hearing from, Mr. Kings' legal representation. I only caution you because, Dick Olson who crafts the wooden cases did early on. Doesn't take much in the way of online presence apparently to draw their attention. Just a head's up to you. Especially if you try to sell them at some junture. They look marvelous though and if you contact, Dick he may be able to help you out with the font issue. He goes by "Dolso" here and has a thread for his wooden cases, which are of some reknown. Best of luck to you!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Very innovative and they look great however, I hate to break it to you, but they appear to use the copyrighted lettering fonts. If so, you may be hearing from, Mr. Kings' legal representation. I only caution you because, Dick Olson who crafts the wooden cases did early on. Doesn't take much in the way of online presence apparently to draw their attention. Just a head's up to you. Especially if you try to sell them at some junture. They look marvelous though and if you contact, Dick he may be able to help you out with the font issue. He goes by "Dolso" here and has a thread for his wooden cases, which are of some reknown. Best of luck to you!!!
    Hey. Thanks for that information. These are definitely not for sale. Only for my personal collection. I have shared pictures of my progress creating these cases over at SKMB for quite awhile, and have never had anyone complain. But I will definitely not share images anymore if someone will be knocking down my door. I guess I considered it in the same realm as fan art but also a way to protect my own books since many of these don't have any official slipcase to purchase from the publishers. I will definitely get in touch with Dolso and see what he says. Thanks!
    “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.” - Steve Jobs, Apple Inc. RIP

My Videos
    My Artwork

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey. Thanks for that information. These are definitely not for sale. Only for my personal collection. I have shared pictures of my progress creating these cases over at SKMB for quite awhile, and have never had anyone complain. But I will definitely not share images anymore if someone will be knocking down my door. I guess I considered it in the same realm as fan art but also a way to protect my own books since many of these don't have any official slipcase to purchase from the publishers. I will definitely get in touch with Dolso and see what he says. Thanks!
    Hey, I'm no lawyer, just wanted to give a head's up. I think the crucial element is if you offer them for sale. Since you are not doing so I believe you are "A-OK". Dolso, has public fonts that mirror the copyrighted ones so close you don't even notice. With those no one can touch you. So as I said, wonderful work, awesome cases and nothing but the best of luck to you!!!

Spoiler:
    Happy Holidays as well!!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, I'm no lawyer, just wanted to give a head's up. I think the crucial element is if you offer them for sale. Since you are not doing so I believe you are "A-OK". Dolso, has public fonts that mirror the copyrighted ones so close you don't even notice. With those no one can touch you. So as I said, wonderful work, awesome cases and nothing but the best of luck to you!!!

Spoiler:
    Much appreciated! I definitely would not try to sell cases knowingly violating copyright! My creativity is driven by a love for the man and his words! That and a desire to have a complete and worthy collection of his work to pass down to my kids.

My Videos
    My Artwork

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    Much appreciated! I definitely would not try to sell cases knowingly violating copyright! My creativity is driven by a love for the man and his words! That and a desire to have a complete and worthy collection of his work to pass down to my kids.
    I am sure and I was not trying to discourage you at all. Seems like a great hobby and one that obviously comes from love. Just FYI, you can get similar cases from, Jeff Whiley in the UK for about $20-25 a pop if he has the plates. Cheapest I've found anywhere. Again, as a labor of love, I truly get it, but if the cost is getting to be too much you may want to look into it. Again, just trying to help out a fellow member I have no stake in which way you choose to go and encourage you in either case (No pun intended)!!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Those are really awesome cases, G! If you ever do decide to mass market them, please let us know. Several of us are nuts for slipcases/traycases so you'd definitely have a market here. After all the legal issues are/would be ironed out of course. In the meantime, good for you and welcome!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Those are really awesome cases, G! If you ever do decide to mass market them, please let us know. Several of us are nuts for slipcases/traycases so you'd definitely have a market here. After all the legal issues are/would be ironed out of course. In the meantime, good for you and welcome!

I'm Merlin1958 and I endorse this message!!!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

I'm Merlin1958 and I endorse this message!!!!! LOL
    Thanks guys!!!

My Videos
    My Artwork

Country
    Country Flag

Finally finished my latest custom slipcases!

The Dark Tower

My Videos
    My Artwork

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That last picture is beautiful, lol. Great job!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Do you sell these? I love the DT set!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast