Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturday Night Live

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, that was quick. Good. But how was he hired in the first place?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/16/enter...lis/index.html
    "Saturday Night Live" has fired one of its most recent hires, Shane Gillis, just days after videos of comedian making bigoted comments came to light.

"After talking with Shane Gillis, we have decided that he will not be joining 'SNL,'" an 'SNL' spokesperson on behalf of Lorne Michaels said in a statement to CNN. "We want 'SNL' to have a variety of voices and points of view within the show, and we hired Shane on the strength of his talent as comedian and his impressive audition for 'SNL.' We were not aware of his prior remarks that have surfaced over the past few days. The language he used is offensive, hurtful and unacceptable. We are sorry that we did not see these clips earlier, and that our vetting process was not up to our standard."

Following news of his ouster, Gillis wrote on Twitter, "I'm a comedian who was funny enough to get 'SNL.' That can't be taken away."

He added: "Of course I wanted an opportunity to prove myself at 'SNL' but I understand it would be too much of a distraction. I respect the decision they made. I'm honestly grateful for the opportunity. I was always a Mad TV guy anyway."

The NBC sketch show had announced Gillis' hire last week, along with the additions of new series regulars Chloe Fineman and Bowen Yang, the only full-time cast member of East-Asian descent next season. News broke that afternoon of Gillis' history of making defamatory comments about Chinese Americans and homosexuals during episodes of his and fellow comedian Matt McCusker's "Matt and Shane's Secret Podcast."

In one since-deleted video, Gillis says, "Let the f---ing ch--ks live there," of Chinatown. Gillis also mocks a Chinese accent, the language barrier and says, "Chinatown's f---ing nuts."

Gillis responded to the backlash Thursday night, posting on Twitter that, "I'm a comedian who pushes boundaries. I sometimes miss. If you go through my 10 years of comedy, most of it bad, you're going to find a lot of bad misses" and that "I'm happy to apologize to anyone who's actually offended by anything I've said."

Many took him up on his offer, including television creator Daniel Chun, who wrote back "I was offended, Shane!" Novelist Monica Byrne responded, "Looking forward to your offer getting revoked, dude. Wow."

2020 Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang, who Gillis referenced with a racial epithet in a May podcast, stated over the weekend that he didn't think Gillis should lose his job.

"I've experienced a lot of anti-Asian racism throughout my upbringing, and it hurts. It's something that is very real, and I do think anti-Asian racial epithets are not taken as seriously as slurs against other groups," Yang said in an appearance on "State of the Union" with CNN's Jake Tapper. "But at the same time, bigger picture, I believe that our country has become excessively punitive and vindictive about remarks that people find offensive or racist and that we need to try and move beyond that, if we can, particularly in a case where the person is, in this case, to me, like a comedian whose words should be taken in a slightly different light."

In a tweet Monday afternoon, Yang wrote that Gillis had reached out to him and the two planned to meet.

Shane Gillis reached out. Looks like we will be sitting down together soon.
    — Andrew Yang (@AndrewYang) September 16, 2019

Gillis is just the latest example of a comedian's past comments and actions gaining new attention in the online world.

Trevor Noah saw a backlash to some of his old tweets, which were deemed offensive toward women and Jews, when he took over as host of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" in 2015. Kevin Hart stepped down from hosting this year's Oscars after his past homophobic tweets surfaced. Sarah Silverman recently revealed she was fired from a movie after producers found a sketch of her eponymous Comedy Central show in which she wore blackface make-up -- a sketch she says she no longer supports.

Gillis was due to start his new job at "SNL" as part of the show's 45th season, which premieres September 28 with host Woody Harrelson and musical guest Billie Eilish.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Well, that was quick. Good. But how was he hired in the first place?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/16/enter...lis/index.html
    "Saturday Night Live" has fired one of its most recent hires, Shane Gillis, just days after videos of comedian making bigoted comments came to light.

"After talking with Shane Gillis, we have decided that he will not be joining 'SNL,'" an 'SNL' spokesperson on behalf of Lorne Michaels said in a statement to CNN. "We want 'SNL' to have a variety of voices and points of view within the show, and we hired Shane on the strength of his talent as comedian and his impressive audition for 'SNL.' We were not aware of his prior remarks that have surfaced over the past few days. The language he used is offensive, hurtful and unacceptable. We are sorry that we did not see these clips earlier, and that our vetting process was not up to our standard."

Following news of his ouster, Gillis wrote on Twitter, "I'm a comedian who was funny enough to get 'SNL.' That can't be taken away."

He added: "Of course I wanted an opportunity to prove myself at 'SNL' but I understand it would be too much of a distraction. I respect the decision they made. I'm honestly grateful for the opportunity. I was always a Mad TV guy anyway."

The NBC sketch show had announced Gillis' hire last week, along with the additions of new series regulars Chloe Fineman and Bowen Yang, the only full-time cast member of East-Asian descent next season. News broke that afternoon of Gillis' history of making defamatory comments about Chinese Americans and homosexuals during episodes of his and fellow comedian Matt McCusker's "Matt and Shane's Secret Podcast."

In one since-deleted video, Gillis says, "Let the f---ing ch--ks live there," of Chinatown. Gillis also mocks a Chinese accent, the language barrier and says, "Chinatown's f---ing nuts."

Gillis responded to the backlash Thursday night, posting on Twitter that, "I'm a comedian who pushes boundaries. I sometimes miss. If you go through my 10 years of comedy, most of it bad, you're going to find a lot of bad misses" and that "I'm happy to apologize to anyone who's actually offended by anything I've said."

Many took him up on his offer, including television creator Daniel Chun, who wrote back "I was offended, Shane!" Novelist Monica Byrne responded, "Looking forward to your offer getting revoked, dude. Wow."

2020 Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang, who Gillis referenced with a racial epithet in a May podcast, stated over the weekend that he didn't think Gillis should lose his job.

"I've experienced a lot of anti-Asian racism throughout my upbringing, and it hurts. It's something that is very real, and I do think anti-Asian racial epithets are not taken as seriously as slurs against other groups," Yang said in an appearance on "State of the Union" with CNN's Jake Tapper. "But at the same time, bigger picture, I believe that our country has become excessively punitive and vindictive about remarks that people find offensive or racist and that we need to try and move beyond that, if we can, particularly in a case where the person is, in this case, to me, like a comedian whose words should be taken in a slightly different light."

In a tweet Monday afternoon, Yang wrote that Gillis had reached out to him and the two planned to meet.

Shane Gillis reached out. Looks like we will be sitting down together soon.
    — Andrew Yang (@AndrewYang) September 16, 2019

Gillis is just the latest example of a comedian's past comments and actions gaining new attention in the online world.

Trevor Noah saw a backlash to some of his old tweets, which were deemed offensive toward women and Jews, when he took over as host of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" in 2015. Kevin Hart stepped down from hosting this year's Oscars after his past homophobic tweets surfaced. Sarah Silverman recently revealed she was fired from a movie after producers found a sketch of her eponymous Comedy Central show in which she wore blackface make-up -- a sketch she says she no longer supports.

Gillis was due to start his new job at "SNL" as part of the show's 45th season, which premieres September 28 with host Woody Harrelson and musical guest Billie Eilish.
    That's my question too. I would have thought SNL had SOME sort of vetting process. This guy's "comedy" was everywhere, he didn't hide it. It's weird but oh well....

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I wonder how many of SNL's previous cast members would have made it through had cancel culture existed back then (it's hard to believe they were all "woke saints").

But hey, kindness is the main ingredient in comedy, right?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I wonder how many of SNL's previous cast members would have made it through had cancel culture existed back then (it's hard to believe they were all "woke saints").

But hey, kindness is the main ingredient in comedy, right?
    No, being funny is the main ingredient in comedy and after watching some of his videos, I realize he simply isn't funny. He's boring.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

I thought last night's Season 45 premiere was excellent. Really liked the two new cast members Chloe Fineman and Bowen Yang, even though they didn't really get much screen time (Chloe was great as Marianne Williamson). Billie's performance was awesome as expected. It's great to have SNL back!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've said it before, but I will say it again. My Godfather used to talk about watching SNL and loving the show but commented how he never knew who the musical performances were. My sister and I would laugh and roll our eyes at our out-of-touch elder.

Now every week my sister and I comment how we have never heard of any of these musicians. Also, I had to jack up the volume on my TV because she was whispering the entire time.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Now every week my sister and I comment how we have never heard of any of these musicians. Also, I had to jack up the volume on my TV because she was whispering the entire time.
    Yes to both of these points.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I've said it before, but I will say it again. My Godfather used to talk about watching SNL and loving the show but commented how he never knew who the musical performances were. My sister and I would laugh and roll our eyes at our out-of-touch elder.

That's kinda her thing. I think I posted in another thread that I just don't understand her appeal.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Grouch parody was fantastic. It might just be my favorite SNL trailer, narrowly beating out the English one from a few years ago.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

One of the better episodes in recent memory. I thought there were some really clever sketches here, especially the one you just posted above and the Wizard of Oz one as well.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really? I DVR'ed it and was immediately glad I didn't stay up until 1am to watch it live.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Really? I DVR'ed it and was immediately glad I didn't stay up until 1am to watch it live.
    It had tons of cameos! The debate was great too!

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I do appreciate the cameos. Any time they want to bring in Rachel Dratch and Maya Rudolph is fine by me!

Also, do you guys watch the SNL Thanksgiving compilation special they play every year? It's become by annual tradition for the day before Thanksgiving. There's some good ones in there that get me every time (Martha Stewart, Adam Sandler's Thanksgiving song, the one where Will Ferrell's family feed each other by mouth).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

the one where Will Ferrell's family feed each other by mouth).
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I do appreciate the cameos. Any time they want to bring in Rachel Dratch and Maya Rudolph is fine by me!

Also, do you guys watch the SNL Thanksgiving compilation special they play every year? It's become by annual tradition for the day before Thanksgiving. There's some good ones in there that get me every time (Martha Stewart, Adam Sandler's Thanksgiving song, the one where Will Ferrell's family feed each other by mouth).
    Yeah, that's a classic bit. I still remember watching that live and applauding them for their dedication to comedy.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised no one posted/commented about the Eddie Murphy show this week. I DVRed it and watched it yesterday and I think I laughed hard at nearly every sketch (except the one at the North Pole at the end of the show, which I thought was really the only weak one). Probably in my top two shows of this season. Eddie did a great job.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I'm surprised no one posted/commented about the Eddie Murphy show this week. I DVRed it and watched it yesterday and I think I laughed hard at nearly every sketch (except the one at the North Pole at the end of the show, which I thought was really the only weak one). Probably in my top two shows of this season. Eddie did a great job.
    A lot of the sketches were complete duds for me. None more so than black jeopardy.

Agreed.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Loved it, loved it, loved it. Great to see Mr. Robinson, Buckwheat, Gumby, etc.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Christmas sketch was great, but I honestly don't think a lot of Murphy's characters have aged very well. I never thought Buckwheat or Gumby were ever that funny.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast