Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Saturday Night Live

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Saturday Night Live

SNL is an American institution and will never be canceled. At least, I hope so. It's now in its 42nd season (just started October 1) and already we've had some great sketches. There was some discussion in the "General" thread, so in order not to hog that one too much, I thought a dedicated SNL thread was certainly warranted.

I know a lot of people think it's not as funny anymore, and maybe that's true, but it's one of those things you have to watch. For me, anyway. The best sketch of the season (and one of the best of all time, in my humble opinion) is David S. Pumpkins, which is just too silly for words, and that music, man!

Any questions?

Here's my other favorite of the season. "Would you like an ooey-gooey yummy-yummy delicious quesa-dilla?"

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Actual politics aside, the political ones have been really good this season, I think. Alec Baldwin does a great Trump and McKinnon is great at everything.

The Sully sketch from this past week was pretty funny, too.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Actual politics aside, the political ones have been really good this season, I think. Alec Baldwin does a great Trump and McKinnon is great at everything.

The Sully sketch from this past week was pretty funny, too.
    Agreed. Baldwin has really nailed it.

I'm glad you started this thread, Pablo. Personally, I will use it in a variety of ways. As a recap of the previous week's episode, as a place to discuss the ins and outs of the show which I've always found fascinating, and a place to post some of my favorite sketches.

You're right, people are always going to say it's not as funny. It all depends on which cast you associate with the most. My uncle used to say the Farley era wasn't as funny as the early years with Belushi and Chase. Then you had the people who grew up with the Farrell years and swore they were better than the Farley years etc. The show has always gone in phases, and it might be a little down right now, but it will come back like it always does.

My biggest issue with the show is the inability to develop memorable, recurring characters in recent years. Think back to your favorite sketches, they're usually featuring great recurring characters. The odd thing about SNL right now is that most of their memorable recurring characters are all relegated to the Weekend Update. You have McKinnon's Russian lady, Strong's Girl You Wouldn't Want to Talk to at a Party, Bobby Moynihan has two (both personal favorites) Drunk Uncle and Anthony Crispino. More recently, one of the most famous characters ever was Stefon.

Personally, I don't see why they can't transition some of these characters into actual sketches. As you all know, the cast members very often come up with sketches and characters, so it's on them to create the next memorable characters.

Lastly, if you guys ever get the chance, see if you can get tickets to an SNL rehearsal. I had the pleasure of going years ago and it's a lot of fun. It's longer and they are trying out tons of sketches. It's cool to go back and watch the actual show later in the night and see what made it to air and what didn't. The night I went, they cut two of the funnier sketches I thought.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I won tickets in their lottery a few years ago but the host (Charlie Day, with Maroon 5 as the musical guest) didn't really get me excited. I'm glad I didn't end up going, though, because I watched it live that night on TV and it was not a very good episode. I'd still like to go one day, though. I went to a Late Night with Jimmy Fallon taping once and that was a ton of fun. Got an aisle seat, met Jimmy, he signed my book, and got to participate in a "birthday dance-off" in the aisles with another audience member (this was after the show ended).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The best sketch of the season (and one of the best of all time, in my humble opinion) is David S. Pumpkins...

Really? Different strokes I guess but I didn't even get a small grin out of it. Nothing. Had to watch it online just now because when it was on that night, I changed the channel mid-sketch. Still don't like.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I tried to start this thread a few years back and got 0 replies.

Not the same w/o Fred Armisen.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Or even Taran Killam. He was always great.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

IMHO, best sketches are probably "More Cowbell" with Christopher Walken, Chris Farley as Matt Foley (in a van down by the river!) or any of the Jeopardy sketches with Will Ferrell as Alex Trebec and Norm McDonald as Burt Reynolds.

This one never fails to crack me up as well.

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Stefon!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    IMHO, best sketches are probably "More Cowbell" with Christopher Walken, Chris Farley as Matt Foley (in a van down by the river!) or any of the Jeopardy sketches with Will Ferrell as Alex Trebec and Norm McDonald as Burt Reynolds.

This one never fails to crack me up as well.
    More Cowbell is an all-time classic. Matt Foley is my favorite SNL character. I truly believe they would have made films with that character if Farely had lived. Jeopardy are great too. Actually, the recent Black Jeopardy sketches are strong.

Here's one of my faves.

Country
    Country Flag

The previous week's episode with Cumberbatch wasn't very good, other than the cold open, but it was a great one last night:

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The Dave Chappelle monologue has nothing on the Kate McKinnon cold open. Man, that was unexpected.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I had no idea. Her rendition of "Hallelujah" was amazing. So much win. Leonard would've been proud.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not gonna lie, I was hoping to see Baldwin and McKinnon do Hillary and Trump. That opening was just odd to me. She looked like Hillary but was singing as Kate. The song was sung straight too, so Hillary voice or not, it wasn't meant to be funny, which defeats the purpose of a comedy show.

Country
    Country Flag

Obviously, they weren't going for laughs there. She was honoring the memory of Leonard Cohen and lamenting Trump's win.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Obviously, they weren't going for laughs there. She was honoring the memory of Leonard Cohen and lamenting Trump's win.
    Which is great, but millions of people tuned in to see SNL give their take on the election by seeing it through the eyes of the two people who have played the roles of Trump and Clinton all year. We didn't get it. I would have ended the show with the tribute to Cohen. Also, if you're really going to honor Cohen, have a real singer sing that fantastic song. I love Kate, but her voice is average at best.

I actually watched it live, which I never do anymore.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, I was hoping to see Baldwin and McKinnon do Hillary and Trump. That opening was just odd to me. She looked like Hillary but was singing as Kate. The song was sung straight too, so Hillary voice or not, it wasn't meant to be funny, which defeats the purpose of a comedy show.
    SNL has perhaps become a bit too aware of the impact it has, or wants to have, on the culture; when combined with its leftist political slant, we get (for several weeks now) open propaganda and political instruction, and then this weekend, McKinnon's (nice voice, talented woman) uber-pretentious and wounded portrayal of a left wing that literally can't believe that they lost an election.

As you say, it wasn't meant to be funny - but as things work out, it was mighty funny to me in its own way.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Let's not make this a political thread as well!!! Stick to the comedy!!! I agree with the above, SNL went a little off the rails with that, Hillary piece. I've been watching SNL since it's pilot and while they always included political humor they were pretty good at not overtly taking sides though they did always skew liberal though I think the main focus was they always questioned with a comedic slant. Heck, I'm a dinosaur though I suppose. lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Let's not make this a political thread as well!!! Stick to the comedy!!! I agree with the above, SNL went a little off the rails with that, Hillary piece. I've been watching SNL since it's pilot and while they always included political humor they were pretty good at not overtly taking sides though they did always skew liberal though I think the main focus was they always questioned with a comedic slant. Heck, I'm a dinosaur though I suppose. lol
    Agreed. Unfortunately, when it comes to SNL at certain times of the year, it's almost impossible to separate the comedy from the politics.

Country
    Country Flag

I thought that was a very fun episode this past Saturday. The QVC sketch for some reason had me rolling. Love that Cecily!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, they certainly took the gloves off in regards to Trump last episode. After largely ignoring the election the first episode back after the decision, they really came out swinging.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool Video, Pablo!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast