Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cycle of the werewolf Porfolio

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I asked about the limitation number for the various editions. This was the reply.

there will only be 500 of these sets produced, we just adjusted the qty's for the reward levels to reflect this! The Wood box edition is limited to 50 at the $800 level, and the 5 sets for the $2000 level, and those will be marked as 'Artist Proof' 1/5 to differentiate them!
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I think they have some of their history wrong. I didn't think the COTW project was originally Wrightson's idea. Wasn't it Christopher Zavisa's? And Zavisa originally approached King? Was Wrightson in it from the beginning? I didn't think so.
    For what it's worth, in the Kickerstarter video there's a clip of Bernie saying "The first thing, uh, that I did with Stephen King was a comic book adaptation for the movie creep show. Afterwards I got an idea for a werewolf project. Why not do it as a calendar? The perfect monster for a calendar is the werewolf, you know, because he becomes, you know, every month with the full moon. Steve agreed with that and said yeah, that's, uh, yeah we can make that work. But my publisher friend talked to Stephen King's publisher who said we can't allow you to do a calendar. Basically, if anyone is going to do a calendar with Stephen King it's going to be us. So that's what happened. It became a book instead of a calendar."

https://youtu.be/hNTshq4G0tA?t=1m21s
    Wanted:

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    I think they have some of their history wrong. I didn't think the COTW project was originally Wrightson's idea. Wasn't it Christopher Zavisa's? And Zavisa originally approached King? Was Wrightson in it from the beginning? I didn't think so.
    For what it's worth, in the Kickerstarter video there's a clip of Bernie saying "The first thing, uh, that I did with Stephen King was a comic book adaptation for the movie creep show. Afterwards I got an idea for a werewolf project. Why not do it as a calendar? The perfect monster for a calendar is the werewolf, you know, because he becomes, you know, every month with the full moon. Steve agreed with that and said yeah, that's, uh, yeah we can make that work. But my publisher friend talked to Stephen King's publisher who said we can't allow you to do a calendar. Basically, if anyone is going to do a calendar with Stephen King it's going to be us. So that's what happened. It became a book instead of a calendar."

https://youtu.be/hNTshq4G0tA?t=1m21s
    But, it was Christopher Zavisa who approached King in 1979 about the project first. I believe that's why Bob is saying the information is incorrect. It's sort of a funny story where King mentions he was drunk when this guy approached him about it.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Country
    Country Flag

I guess that can all be true, right? Bernie came up with the idea for a calendar, then Christopher Zavisa approached King in 1979 about doing a book instead? I was just looking at stephenkingrevisited and it kind of matches Bernie's story. Bernie talks to his publisher > his publisher talk's to King's publisher who says no > King's publisher then approaches king about doing a book instead.

"Zavisa’s pitch intrigued King. The publisher, who had established Land of Enchantment Press initially to promote Wrightson’s works, wanted King to come up with a set of twelve vignettes that would each be accompanied by a Berni Wrightson painting and a calendar grid."

Unrelated, the original art tier for the kickstarter is now sold out.
    Wanted:

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

That "original art" is pretty pathetic no?

Edit: definitely should be underwhelming, not pathetic.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Link Nick?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Link Nick?
    These were the two that were posted. I think it's cool getting a behind the scenes look at Bernie's process so don't consider them "pathetic". Definitely underwhelming given the price point though.

Wanted:

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Link Nick?
    These were the two that were posted. I think it's cool getting a behind the scenes look at Bernie's process so don't consider them "pathetic". Definitely underwhelming given the price point though.

Did you get the "Marty confronted by the Werewolf"?

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Country
    Country Flag

Have not selected one yet. Based on the examples so far, I'm leaning towards one where Bernie is trying to get the werewolf right (e.g., the first pic) instead of one where he's laying out a scene (e.g., the second pic).
    Wanted:

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would not be interested I don't think at the price point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Have not selected one yet. Based on the examples so far, I'm leaning towards one where Bernie is trying to get the werewolf right (e.g., the first pic) instead of one where he's laying out a scene (e.g., the second pic).
    Me too for sure. Have you seen the others? Maybe you would prefer the other choices more so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that most professional artists have stuff like that laying all over their houses and studios. Their wives (or significant others) probably pick that stuff up and use it to write shopping lists, memos, etc. IMO they have little value.

Country
    Country Flag

Have not seen the others and will definitely wait to see all the options before deciding.

I agree the price point is high for what it is. If Tim was keeping all the money I'd probably cancel my pledge. However, Bernie is getting 50% of the proceeds, which I think he really needs right now, and I think it's not extraordinarily overpriced given there's a bunch of extras in addition to the original art (i.e., deluxe treatment on the portfolio, lunar calendar, regular calendar, t-shirt, pin, and maybe a werewolf skeleton letterpress print). Bernie getting 50% of the proceeds is the main thing keeping me in right now though.
    Wanted:

Country
    Country Flag

I suspect that most professional artists have stuff like that laying all over their houses and studios. Their wives (or significant others) probably pick that stuff up and use it to write shopping lists, memos, etc. IMO they have little value.
    I feel like a lot of that will very by artist. If most of that ends up in the trash or with writing all over it, there's not going to be much for the market. On the other hand, if they keep most of that and sell it, there's probably a lot of material to go around that's going to drive down prices.
    Wanted:

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think an important variable is how closely related to the finished artwork the prelim is. I have a prelim sketch that Ned Dameron did for "Kull" (a Howard book published by Grant) that is one of my pride and joys. I have compared scans of the sketch and the finished painting, and it lines up so perfectly, that I suspect he transferred the sketch to his board somehow before painting. However, there is another piece from the same painting that has been on eBay forever, but the relationship is so abstract that it holds no interest for me. Also important to note that I paid ~$50 for the sketch. I don't think something this would be worth $1200 (but they all sold out, so what do I know?)

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    I think an important variable is how closely related to the finished artwork the prelim is. I have a prelim sketch that Ned Dameron did for "Kull" (a Howard book published by Grant) that is one of my pride and joys. I have compared scans of the sketch and the finished painting, and it lines up so perfectly, that I suspect he transferred the sketch to his board somehow before painting. However, there is another piece from the same painting that has been on eBay forever, but the relationship is so abstract that it holds no interest for me. Also important to note that I paid ~$50 for the sketch. I don't think something this would be worth $1200 (but they all sold out, so what do I know?)
    Man that Kull book is amazing. I'd say it's Ned's best work.

Also for the record there is quite a few of Bernie's prelims floating around. I have one from The Stand and I know someone else here has a couple from COTW, so it's not like they are impossible to find. So, yeah, the price is high if you are just buying it for the prelim, but it's more than just a prelim, and I do think that the value of his prelims will rise over time.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anybody else gotten their's yet? I just received mine this weekend, and I am a little disappointed in the quality. I bougtht the $175 level. The callender was "wavey/warped", and there are a lot of indentations at the bottom. It looks as if they couldn't decide where to put the hole, and started to squeze a hole pucnch device before realizing they were off center.

Then the box with the prints has significant dents at the top. There appears to be no damage to the shipping box, so this seems like it was that way before shipping.

Sorry, didn't take pictures yet, but can take some tonight if anyone is interested.

I didn't open the prints yet, as I will probably contact Nakotomi.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I got mine but haven't inspected it closely. Will look tonight and check back in.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Has anybody else gotten their's yet? I just received mine this weekend, and I am a little disappointed in the quality. I bougtht the $175 level. The callender was "wavey/warped", and there are a lot of indentations at the bottom. It looks as if they couldn't decide where to put the hole, and started to squeze a hole pucnch device before realizing they were off center.

Then the box with the prints has significant dents at the top. There appears to be no damage to the shipping box, so this seems like it was that way before shipping.

Sorry, didn't take pictures yet, but can take some tonight if anyone is interested.

I didn't open the prints yet, as I will probably contact Nakotomi.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Would like to see pics Mike....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I bought in at the calendar level, which was around $15 if I recall. It arrived in a cardboard envelope which was pretty beat up. The calendar has some noticeable bending from the shipping, but because the buy in was pretty low im not too worried about it. Its fun to finally have the images in a calendar as they were originally intended, but I am not sad I didn't go in for a higher level.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    I bought in at the calendar level, which was around $15 if I recall. It arrived in a cardboard envelope which was pretty beat up. The calendar has some noticeable bending from the shipping, but because the buy in was pretty low im not too worried about it. Its fun to finally have the images in a calendar as they were originally intended, but I am not sad I didn't go in for a higher level.
    Ditto everything you said with an added note that I wouldn't have minded helping Bernie out by going to a higher level but I just really didn't want anything else.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Here are some photo's of the defects I mentioned.

First of the calender in general, you can tell from the light/shadow patterns that the calender is "wavey" (I'm sure there is a technical term for this, but I don't know what it is)
    Spoiler:

Here is a zoom in on the pin hole. Looks like they started to put one off center and realized there mistake before punching it:

Spoiler:

Here is damage to the lid of the box for the prints. Looks like pressure was placed here, no evidence on the packaging (although that was frankly not the best).
    So I think this damage was there before it was packed.

Spoiler:

Thanks,
    Mike
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

What a mess.
    Damn near worthless.

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Glad I passed on these .... Although the Calendar would be pretty cool...

Country
    Country Flag

Just a note. I think Bernie is in a pinch financially and I heard (on FB maybe) that they are doing many more of these. For other facets of his work mind you.... either way, I will be steering clear of all them no matter King related or not.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast