Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roland's longcoat(s): specific quotes/excerpts?

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Roland's longcoat(s): specific quotes/excerpts?

Are there any passages in the The Dark Tower novels that mention Roland wearing a duster? I know that the novel illustrations and Marvel comics depict him wearing one, but was this ever outright stated in any of the eight books?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Not to my knowledge. There was only the deerhide coat that he and Susannah made in the seventh book. In the first book, he's wearing jeans and a shirt. No hat or coat.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think so, but strangely enough this has long been my defining mental of image of Roland;

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I don't think so, but strangely enough this has long been my defining mental of image of Roland;

10000000000000000000%
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A few people who appear to be sticklers for realism are upset that cinematic Roland is wearing a duster. Apparently, such an article of clothing would impede his ability to quickly draw his revolvers.

Now, there was always this belief in my mind that Roland has worn at least one longcoat during his many literary adventures, but I did not have any hard references stored in my mental libraries. So...that is why I came here to seek information.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    Now, there was always this belief in my mind that Roland has worn at least one longcoat during his many literary adventures, but I did not have any hard references stored in my mental libraries. So...that is why I came here to seek information.
    I've searched through the texts -- no mention of a duster. He certainly wouldn't have needed one crossing the desert, which is where he starts out. It is only fall by the time they reach Calla Bryn Sturgis, so the first time he'd really need a coat would be in the winter, which is when they crossed Empathica. The entire series, remember, takes place during a single year (flashbacks and hiccups in time notwithstanding).

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you all the same, Bev Vincent.

John F. Kennedy BrandoRex will become famous soon enough BrandoRex's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The art never seems to be consistent in his dress or appearance. I wonder if King just gave everyone liberty to create their own Roland or if he had a purpose behind it.

*Conspiracy Theory Warning*

What if the reason they are all different looking (some look like King, some like Eastwood, some like a mix?) is that they are different Roland's, failing to gain entry because they don't carry the Horn of Eld and cycling back to try again? Could explain the reason behind the movie casting Elba and that the horn is going to be in it.

Country
    Country Flag

Was the Tower also upset with the myriad Rolands and their various choices of fashion?

John F. Kennedy BrandoRex will become famous soon enough BrandoRex's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Of course. My tinfoil hat tells me it's not just the horn, because that's an accessory, but the right pair of shoes as well :p

+ Reply to Thread