Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Murder of Stephen King

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by burial View Post
    CANCELED:

‘Murder of Stephen King’ Pulled By Author James Patterson

Author James Patterson is canceling the release of what was supposed to be his next novel, “The Murder of Stephen King.”

According to the Associated Press, the author released a statement through Little, Brown and Company explaining that he didn’t want to cause Stephen King or his family any trouble.
    I bet he didn't run this by King first and King must've sicced some sick lawyer types on him.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah something must have transpired behind the scenes. It would be interesting to know some details. I wasn't a fan of this idea and wouldn't blame King for not taking kindly to it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was kinda looking forward to this, weirdly.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As if they didn't think that through first.
    Just a big marketing scheme.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If they kept the name and the "murder" inside the book and its plot, that probably would've been fine. The title must've been what did it. I know that whether I was famous or not, I wouldn't want another writer to have a title about the murder of me. Seems like a tasteless marketing ploy.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

John F. Kennedy Ebdim9th is on a distinguished road

Stephen King has a thing about fanfic. He doesn't like it, due to legal problems that might arise, such as reverse-plagiarism claims ... ("hey I came up with a new situation for your character Roland, and then you used it in the movie sequel without giving me credit!!") Somewhere in that murky territory, if Patterson didn't check with him first, lies the cancellation of the book.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah but Roland and the tower aren't exactly King's intellectual property either. Nor are Harry Potter and DC characters he mentioned in Wolves. Or any other bazillion pop culture references he has made.

I don't think we'll ever know what the true reason for cancelling the book is. That's between the two camps involved.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Yeah but Roland and the tower aren't exactly King's intellectual property either.

A valid point, Pb.

But I suspect a book about one's murder; or attempted murder is far more personal than intellectual property.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

While the book was pulled, here's the cover anyway:

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i would have read it 1. cause i do like the author. and 2 just cause i am honestly curious if it was a good one or a bad one? i wonder if he'll ever put it out? my guess he should have talked to King 1st and also sent him a copy of the book before he took it to his publisher to read to know if he's okay with him publishing it or not.

It probably, in the end, does have something to do with Stephen's thoughts on Patterson and other authors' writing. I don't think he feels he would be done justice in a Patterson co-authored novel. And he has copyrighted himself as a character in the Dark Tower series. When there's a group Halloween story on the SKMB there's a no fanfic allowed rule, and there's enough copyrighted material in the Dark Tower I'm sure that still makes it a possible legal issue ..... (and almost certainly a personal one as well)

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

actually what i read online wasn't that, it was Patterson had read that in the past he has had fans come to his house and i think he was afraid his novel would make more fans attempt to do just that. i love king like you do. i'd love to be invited inside his wonderful house but i would never try and force myself into there. and hell i'd love to Meet King too. apparently also what i read online how it ended was King didn't actually end up getting killed. still i would have liked to read it but oh well ya know? you may also be right too it may also have had to do with that as well.

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    i would have read it 1. cause i do like the author.
    patterson, or the author he got to actually write it?

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if somehow a few review copies had been sent out (and what would be their value), or if that was just a big marketing campaign with maybe not even a written book
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

According to the first report, King had been sent a galley of the book, but I imagine that was one of the first internal copies and that none have escaped into the wild.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by burial View Post
    CANCELED:

‘Murder of Stephen King’ Pulled By Author James Patterson

Author James Patterson is canceling the release of what was supposed to be his next novel, “The Murder of Stephen King.”

According to the Associated Press, the author released a statement through Little, Brown and Company explaining that he didn’t want to cause Stephen King or his family any trouble.

I was trying to confirm directly from the Co-Author, this is what he stated:

Sent: Friday, October 21, 2016 12:53 PM
    To: Reitz, Glennon
    Subject: RE: Followup- The Murder of Stephen King

Hi, Glen. Thanks again for your note. I'm sorry to say there's not much I can comment on (in most cases, I really don't even know the answer). I can verify what Mr. King himself has publicly stated, which is that the book was completed and a galley was sent to him by Little, Brown. I'll also echo what Mr. Patterson has said publicly, which is that the story was written with absolute admiration and love for Mr. King and his literary career.

Stephen King was my earliest and most fundamental influence as a writer, and he continues to be an inspiration to me. I've cut my teeth as a mystery/crime writer, but the next two books I've written with Jim Patterson are both horror, and I'm thrilled to be working in the same genre as one of my biggest literary heroes so often does.

And, no, the character of Stephen King does not die in the book! (Jim Patterson has also said that publicly).

Cheers,
    Derek Nikitas

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i've always wondered just how much James Patterson does write when he doesn't write most of his own work anymore. if memory serves me right and i could be wrong i think one thing he did say was he does do an outline of the story he wants to do however he didn't much say more than that i don't think. while it's true no doubt that it can be hard to tell which author is which but when you have King and Straub like The Talisman or The Black House if you know both authors writing style cause no doubt there's more people on here that know both authors far better than i do you can perhaps tell which style is which. i have no issues with stuff like at all with authors working on whatever book, but i don't get how Patterson can use that many on so many books? does anyone have any kinda how many books he does a year anymore? off the top of my head the only ones he does do himself are the Alex Cross books and he puts one of those out every year. truth be told i've never read any of his co-writes solo books so i dunno their style at all. thanks for an update on this though i think that was awfully nice of him to respond back to you even though he didn't really say much.

but i also don't think he was lying either. or he just was saying what he was allowed to either way he seemed to be honest with you

Hmm, well, that mostly clears everything up, then ....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2