Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: The Voynich Manuscript limited edition

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Voynich Manuscript limited edition

Not King-related at all, sorry, but I still think this is a very cool collectible book that might pique someone's interest. If it weren't for the price tag, I'd pick one up for sure.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...hed-in-replica
    The Voynich Manuscript is a singular mystery. But thanks to a small publishing house in Spain, the one-of-a-kind text will soon be more like one-in-900.

The 15th-century document is written in an unknown, apparently encrypted language that has defied every code breaker's efforts. It's illustrated with unknown or imaginary plants and never-seen constellations. The only copy is locked away at Yale University to protect the book; scans online are the closest most mortals can get to viewing its pages.

The Spanish publishing house Siloe specializes in replicas — very small runs of carefully re-created manuscripts, such as the 16th-century Bestiary of John of Austria and 10th-century Beato Emilianense. For 10 years, Siloe appealed to the Beinecke Rare Book & Manuscript Library at Yale, asking for access to the Voynich, Agence France-Presse reports.

The library — which tightly controls who can view the original, in order to protect it — granted permission for Siloe to examine the book, AFP writes. Now the publishing house is in the process of re-creating the volume — "every stain, hole, sewn-up tear in the parchment," the news service says.

Siloe will release 898 volumes (their standard, palindromic publishing run) and sell them for 7,000 to 8,000 euros, or about $8,000 to $9,000, AFP reports. Nearly 300 people have put in preorders.

In an annual bulletin, Juanjo Garcia and Pablo Molinero of Siloe said in Spanish that they were proud to have been chosen for the "fabulous adventure" of replicating the Voynich.

"What mysteries are hidden behind this monumental enigma?" they asked, wondering who was "the genius or the sadist" who created the book.

Maybe a few hundred precise copies of the book will help the world's code breakers answer those questions. But don't bet on it: Countless cryptographers — including some of the world's most brilliant code breakers — have dedicated themselves to trying to solve the puzzle.

High-resolution scans and active Internet-enabled collaboration have not led to any big breakthroughs.

Writer Reed Johnson spent three years of his life as a Voynich obsessive. He spoke to NPR in 2013 about the enticing mysteries of the book, named after the Polish-American book dealer who bought it in 1912.

" 'It doesn't match any other language that's been seen in any other book,' Johnson tells Rachel Martin, host of Weekend Edition Sunday.

"The drawings often have labels, which would seem to offer a route to deciphering the code. But that hope has proved to be an illusion, he says. ...

" 'The history of this manuscript is littered with ... all these people who have spent years and years trying to decipher this manuscript,' Johnson says."

In fact, over all the decades of dedicated pursuit, there's only one documented success story.

"The only person to have made any headway is Indiana Jones," the AFP writes. "The fictitious archaeologist manages to crack it in a novel."The Siloe team is working on crafting the reproductions now; it will take at least a year and a half for the first ones to be finished.

If you can't wait that long — or, you know, are looking for a price with fewer digits — Yale University Press has a printed facsimile coming to print this fall.

In the meantime, the digitized version is available through the Beinecke library's website, where it's described as a "scientific or magical text in an unidentified language, in cipher."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript
    The Voynich manuscript is an illustrated codex hand-written in an unknown writing system. The vellum on which it is written has been carbon-dated to the early 15th century (1404–1438), and it may have been composed in Northern Italy during the Italian Renaissance. The manuscript is named after Wilfrid Voynich, a Polish book dealer who purchased it in 1912.

Some of the pages are missing, with around 240 still remaining. The text is written from left to right, and most of the pages have illustrations or diagrams. Some pages are foldable sheets.

The Voynich manuscript has been studied by many professional and amateur cryptographers, including American and British codebreakers from both World War I and World War II. No one has yet succeeded in deciphering the text, and it has become a famous case in the history of cryptography. The mystery of the meaning and origin of the manuscript has excited the popular imagination, making the manuscript the subject of novels and speculation. None of the many hypotheses proposed over the last hundred years has yet been independently verified.

The Voynich manuscript was donated by Hans P. Kraus to Yale University's Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library in 1969, where it is catalogued under call number MS 408.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Love the pictures of the guys touching this thing with bare hands. Ridiculous.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guess I'll go for the Yale edition, just $30 on Amazon:

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Love the pictures of the guys touching this thing with bare hands. Ridiculous.
    That isn't the original. He's creating a replica.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Taking away the fact that he's touching it with bare hands, what makes you think that's not the original? Looks very originally to me.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe it's one of the replicas... the caption states he is in quality control.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool! I'll probably order the Yale edition. I've always been interested in the Voynich Manuscript.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Taking away the fact that he's touching it with bare hands, what makes you think that's not the original? Looks very originally to me.
    The photo caption: "Luis Miguel, a quality control operator with Siloe, works on cloning the illustrated,hand-written Voynich Manuscript in Burgos, Spain, on Aug. 9"

Since the original is still at Yale University that must be a replica.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I would assume that quality control would look at both books under the microscope, and more so the original. The location is a good catch though. Its very unlikely that Yale would loan out the book for any reason/amount of money.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Very cool! I'll probably order the Yale edition. I've always been interested in the Voynich Manuscript.
    Me too, I've been fascinated by it for years. Preordered the Yale edition!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I ordered #19...