Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerald Winters and Son, the new bookstore in Bangor

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    Perhaps Gerald was simply attempting to convey to the collecting community, and specifically those that own a copy, a general idea of the current market value without revealing the actual sales price.

From my perspective, likely exercising the agreed upon discretion and I am sure the Buyer remains appreciative.

Yeah, maybe. However, I bet he could use all the support he can get up there and we should try and provide it as his fellow members and friends, no?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely.

As my prior posts indicate, I am extremely appreciative that Gerald shared the general details of the final results and respect that he continues to exercise discretion specific to his sales when asked to do so by the seller.

If he didn't say anything, all those interested would be complaining that no results were shared....

A final congrats to the Buyer and Seller and a thank you to Gerald for bringing this piece to the collecting community.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    I totally agree with you, if he really wanted discretion we wouldn't be talking about the price at all.

Just a thought, but maybe he is just trying to garner attention for the shop. Gotta be hard to make a go of it with a brick & mortar shop in, Maine. Maybe he just needs the publicity?
    Gerald doesn't impress me as an unintelligent or foolish person. Please don't ask me to feel sorry or exude sympathy for his decision to open a B&M in Bangor Maine.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh please, really?
    This is total bullshit, Total magical crap.
    Why does everyone pander to this?

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    I totally agree with you, if he really wanted discretion we wouldn't be talking about the price at all.
    Exactly! Loudly announcing the sale of an extremely rare King book, is hardly being discrete.

As my prior posts indicate, I am extremely appreciative that Gerald shared the general details of the final results and respect that he continues to exercise discretion specific to his sales when asked to do so by the seller.
    Of course you are appreciative. You probably own a copy, so profit from knowing about its general sale value...

We now have a general idea of the value of this item and those fortunate enough to have one in his/her collection should feel really good about the outcome....
    Yeah, I'm sure you feel really good about the outcome.

If he didn't say anything, all those interested would be complaining that no results were shared....
    If he didn't say anything, then nobody would know about it to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    Oh please, really?
    This is total bullshit, Total magical crap.
    Why does everyone pander to this?
    + 1 on this.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Here is a picture of a BLACK Lettered Eyes of the Dragon, and NO I do not own this book....I wish.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

And a red Lettered EOTD...again, not mine

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Here is a picture of a BLACK Lettered Eyes of the Dragon, and NO I do not own this book....I wish.

I'm not sure about this. The Letter "N" is larger and in the wrong place, than any other I have seen. I suspect that someone has written the letter in themselves. I have no evidence of any foul play, just a hunch.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post

I'm not sure about this. The Letter "N" is larger and in the wrong place, than any other I have seen. I suspect that someone has written the letter in themselves. I have no evidence of any foul play, just a hunch.
    Omg.. seriously? Please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The letter "N" is in an odd place, but without seeing numerous other lettered copies, it's impossible to say for sure.

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

David,

Thanks for posting the picture of N. I am having a problem with Adobe, Image Shack and the site. My lack IT knowledge strikes again!

For those questioning the legitimacy of letter N, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know at least 2/3 of the provenance and I am 100% certainty that it is legitimate. There were numerous anomalies surrounding the Philtrum EOTDs -- including signatures. I, too, would like to see more lettered EOTDs but I don't think they will come to the market until some of the current owners pass. And I wish nothing like that for anyone!

FWIW, I bid on the lettered E book. I thought I had a very good chance of winning but it was not to be. However, it does not surprise me that someone with very deep pockets overbid me. Not having this book does not diminish my collection and no one else here should feel that way. There are few Charlie Fried, Bob Jackson, Chris Cavalier, Dave Hutcheson, or Gerald Winter-type collections. They were/are great collections but they should not make anyone's collection (or anyone themselves) in any way inferior. Be proud of what you have and don't let anything take away from your collecting efforts! My two cents...

John

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

WOW... Gerald just posted a local chap brought a box of un-opened 1st IT's into his store... OMG.. Can you imagine??????????? He bought them. I hope they go for sale... I WANT ONE.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nah; these "unopened 1st Its" are either A) nonexistent (no photos, after all) or B) have already been sold and he's just teasing us with them in order to drum up attention.

(or so I expect some out there are thinking right now...)
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Nah; these "unopened 1st Its" are either A) nonexistent (no photos, after all) or B) have already been sold and he's just teasing us with them in order to drum up attention.

There are photos.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Photos are easily faked.

(note in case it's not obvious: I'm not actually skeptical of GW.)

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure they are real, but I suspect that if a deal isn't in place, it's in the works.

Country
    Country Flag

There is photos everytime he posts. LOTS of them. I am not sure what your referring to....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My sarcastic posts were mocking the undeserved skepticism and shade being tossed Winters' way earlier in this thread.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

My sarcastic posts were mocking the undeserved skepticism and shade being tossed Winters' way earlier in this thread.
    Some of the skepticism is deserved. Please do not attack me for stating a few concerns i have about his business. Rest assured he is very nice guy, but some of his business decisions make me scratch my head... He does have a great future in story telling though...

Three examples come to mind....

He is marketing to a very specific collector - Stephen King collectors....

1. He purchased 3 (maybe more) cases of Charlie the Choo and will be distributing them to sick children in a hospital. I admire him greatly for that, but he posted that collectors might not understand his desire to leave these books unopened for these kids the joy to open them! I do not understand his desire to leave the books sealed. but they are his books and he specifically addressed our concerns, so it is up for debate or palaver. They are kids and we are obsessive collectors, i would open the books, record the numbers, and let collectors trade or buy the books, seal the books and then donate the books to the kids.

2. He purchased a case of books THINNER, posted about them and said they would be up for sale ( i might be wrong about this, but i thought they would be up for sale, could be my fault for assuming), then sold them to 1 collector/dealer. His right to do so, but as a collector, i watched for the sale only to be shut out by one buyer.

3. NLR was listed by him a few years ago, only to be pulled only I assume because of comments on this site. I was anxious at the time to buy this, but pulled for a variety of reasons (before he was a book seller and subject to trying to please a customer base)

If i owned a Stephen King store, i would reach out to a small but loyal base on this website, but maybe he has his reasons. But i am sure David can attest, you must HAVE thick skin when dealing with a passionate and loyal fan base.

If someone is negative or does not like your business practices, you can choose to ignore them or face them head on like CD, PS Publishing and Betts does on a regular basis on this site.

Gerald has been very nice to me in the past, and has responded to all my requests, etc... I do not harbour any grudge or ill feeling toward him or his shop, just wanted to point out a few things that i do not fully understand or need to. It is not my store.

That being said, i would love to be able to purchase a fine copy of IT before a rich benefactor buys them all and makes a neat (profit) project out of these sought after books.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Some of the skepticism is deserved. Please do not attack me for stating a few oddities about his business. Rest assured he is very nice guy, but some of his business decisions make me scratch my head...

Two examples come to mind....

He is marketing to a very specific collector - Stephen King collectors....

1. He purchased 3 (maybe more) cases of Charlie the Choo and will be distributing them to sick children in a hospital. I admire him greatly for that, but he posted that collectors might not understand his desire to leave these books unopened for these kids the joy to open them! I do not understand his desire to leave the books sealed. but they are his books and he specifically addressed our concerns, so it is up for debate or palaver. They are kids and we are obsessive collectors, i would open the books, record the numbers, and let collectors trade or buy the books, seal the books and then donate the books to the kids.

2. He purchased a case of books THINNER, posted about them and said they would be up for sale, then sold them to 1 collector. His right to do so, but as a collector, i watched for the sale only to be shut out by one buyer.

3. If i owned a Stephen King store, i would reach out to a small but loyal base on this website, but maybe he has his reasons. But i am sure David can attest, you must HAVE thick skin when dealing with a passionate and loyal fan base.

If someone is negative or does not like your business practices, you can choose to ignore them or face them head on like CD, PS Publishing and Betts does on a regular basis on this site.

Gerald has been very nice to me in the past, and has responded to all my requests, etc... I do not harbour any grudge or ill feeling toward him or his shop, just wanted to point out a few things that i do not fully understand or need to. It is not my store.

That being said, i would love to be able to purchase a fine copy of IT before a rich benefactor buys them all and makes a neat (profit) project out of these sought after books.
    Interesting post. It brings about thoughts on the rare find of the 20 off slinger jackets and 10 (I think) S/L slip cases for said book. I know of a few people that could have benefited (and paid handsomely) from this find but after showing us and the King collecting world... Gerald said none were for sale. I was puzzled no question.... but at the end of the day they are his items and his decision to do with as he pleases, as well as the Thinners. the IT's and his Choo Choo's. All we can do is respect that.... whether he owns a store or not.. they are HIS items, not ours.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

Ahhh my bad. Apologies.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Roseannebarre ' s thoughts.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

[/QUOTE]

Interesting post. It brings about thoughts on the rare find of the 20 off slinger jackets and 10 (I think) S/L slip cases for said book. I know of a few people that could have benefited (and paid handsomely) from this find but after showing us and the King collecting world... Gerald said none were for sale. I was puzzled no question.... but at the end of the day they are his items and his decision to do with as he pleases, as well as the Thinners. the IT's and his Choo Choo's. All we can do is respect that.... whether he owns a store or not.. they are HIS items, not ours.[/QUOTE]

Good job in summarizing my thoughts exactly! and much more succinctly.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It does seem to rain boxes of unopened, mint King collectibles in Bangor, Maine...

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Complete Speculation Ahead

Could he be getting boxes of unopened books from King himself? It my memory serves me right (I'm sure Br!an or Stroppy will have the post ready if it exists) Gerald was at the NLR party where King distributed the books. That being said it would make either him or someone he knows as close friend or relative of King to be invited to such event. He may have friends in high places where he can source these crazy collectibles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast