Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Gerald Winters and Son, the new bookstore in Bangor

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

It's an amazing story. Makes you wonder what other treasures are out there waiting to be discovered.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    I liked Gerald's story on Facebook yesterday, which I think is totally amazing. A few hours my boyfriend comes in my office and said: "Wow, that story about Gerald is awesome. I'm not even a nerd and I know that!"
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Great story. Hope that more encounters like that occur for Gerald.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Dang I wish this had happened a couple of weeks ago. Could have bought the slipcase for the matching number set I bought off of ebay. But alas due to the poor condition of the slipcase I returned the set.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post
    Dang I wish this had happened a couple of weeks ago. Could have bought the slipcase for the matching number set I bought off of ebay. But alas due to the poor condition of the slipcase I returned the set.

What was the number? I plan on buying a set soon. I want to stay away from that set. Thanks!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The slipcases are not for sale alas I asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

What was the number? I plan on buying a set soon. I want to stay away from that set. Thanks!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Gunslinger Apprentice you ever seen a ghost? is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    Thank you East-Tennessee, Alec and a few other members here, who were kind enough to order a signed copy of Hearts in Suspension. I am especially grateful to those that ordered an extra copy, when they didn’t exactly need one, to help out a new business. I do appreciate it.

Yes, Herbestwest, you are correct in your statement that I do not post here often. I used to like it, but when you get a few bad apples that seem to take it upon themselves to leave nasty comments (both public and private), the desire (and free marketing) is just not worth it. I am not the only collector that has chosen to stop posting, or sharing their new additions.

I won’t sink to the levels of some (his post is 2 above me) that seem to think it is appropriate to comment negatively on the prices of another person’s books, because I was raised with the adage that you don’t poke a wicked dog. The best way to control them, is to control their food source (ie: buyers with money).

Alan / Mr. Rabbit Trick / fellow_pian (eBay), although we have never met, and probably never will, you are free to comment anyway you see fit on a public forum. I don’t check this website on a daily basis like some, but occasionally some friends here do tell me when others have posted something either about me, or really negative, and usually it centers around you. While I have never sought out winning a popularity contest, I can safely assume neither have you, and that is fine. Everyone can have an opinion on what a book is worth, what it’s not, and simply brag when the feeling takes hold. That is all very well and good.

However, the day may come, sooner rather than later, that you, or your heirs, may need to sell said books. When that happens, you can either use your go-to-route and try to sell on eBay. I don’t need to tell you that you won’t exactly get your desired figure there. Your other option, or your heirs, will be to contact a book dealer and cross your fingers that they specialize in Stephen King and can price them correctly (ie: Sphere Gunslinger Proof for GBP 1,500). Last option, open up a brick & mortar bookstore in 2017 or later, and try your luck there.

When the day comes that you want to liquidate your $10,000 Lettered Danse Macabre, or any other of your super-rare books, you are going to come to a Stephen King dealer with your hat in hand, and hope they don’t hold a grudge. My business model is very different than most. My customers demand perfection, and I don’t disappoint. They pay cash, they pay instantly, and they pay generously.

By the way, my Lettered Christine sold, and the buyer was not interested in saving $1000. Thank you for the discount though. Have a great day.
    Gerald

just...wow.

i was raised in the mountains of VA, so probably a bit more redneck than a lot of folks here, but two things I learned in my raisin':

1. don't pass up a good deal. someone says they can do something for a full grand less, you'd be a bit "touched" to pass that up
    2. don't hold a grudge. especially not one that apparently passes on to future generations if i'm reading this correctly? we can learn a lesson from the Hatfields and McCoys perhaps

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

So I had been eyeballing that Bill Hodges Trilogy on Gerald's website and just kind of spontaneously decided to order it and a few other things on the afternoon of the 23rd (Christmas present to myself, I suppose). I fully expected it not to be shipped out until after Christmas, but I was pleasantly surprised to receive an order update e-mail with tracking just a few hours after I completed the transaction. Gerald managed to get it in the mail the same day and it arrived today with an extra little Christmas bonus included. Great items and great service that exceeded my expectations. Thank you, Gerald!
    Looking for:
    - Philtrum Press Eyes of the Dragon RED #165
    - Fine Viking Eyes of the Dragon proof

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Gerald aims to please!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    So I had been eyeballing that Bill Hodges Trilogy on Gerald's website and just kind of spontaneously decided to order it and a few other things on the afternoon of the 23rd (Christmas present to myself, I suppose). I fully expected it not to be shipped out until after Christmas, but I was pleasantly surprised to receive an order update e-mail with tracking just a few hours after I completed the transaction. Gerald managed to get it in the mail the same day and it arrived today with an extra little Christmas bonus included. Great items and great service that exceeded my expectations. Thank you, Gerald!
    Thank you for your kind words Tony. I am glad it got there safely, considering there was a few other people sending parcels across the country. Happy New Year and I hope you enjoy the story.

Gerald

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gerald recieved a box sent 32 years ago, wtf?
    >>> https://www.facebook.com/GWandSonBoo...71850779663135
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah.. a couple of them it seems. I asked Gerald if he perhaps had bought those books years ago in anticipation of selling them. I got an "odd" reply... kind of making fun of my question maybe? I don't know for sure but I think that he wants to keep the answer to this close to his chest... thats ok though I think it is darn cool either way!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hahaha, great write up on his part. My guess is that he got them from someone, a printer or seller, who had a box tucked away somewhere, either on purpose or by accident. Great find at any rate.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Yeah.. a couple of them it seems. I asked Gerald if he perhaps had bought those books years ago in anticipation of selling them. I got an "odd" reply... kind of making fun of my question maybe? I don't know for sure but I think that he wants to keep the answer to this close to his chest... thats ok though I think it is darn cool either way!
    The box was sent to a bookstore (now a jewelry store) 32 years ago. At that time UPS requested Cash On Delivery. Either Gerald owned the bookstore, or acquired the box from someone who had the box. It could have changed hands numerous times.
    The post was a bit tongue in cheek, so not knowing your specific question, or his answer, it all seems in good fun.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    The box was sent to a bookstore (now a jewelry store) 32 years ago. At that time UPS requested Cash On Delivery. Either Gerald owned the bookstore, or acquired the box from someone who had the box. It could have changed hands numerous times.
    The post was a bit tongue in cheek, so not knowing your specific question, or his answer, it all seems in good fun.
    Oh I thought so too. haha I just thought he might have bought them in the past which was my question... he does have a vast collection!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL, I saw that answer on FB
    Gerald is being cheeky!

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

All 25 copies of Thinner sold for $425 each in 1 minute 18 seconds to one buyer.....
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    All 25 copies of Thinner sold for $425 each in 1 minute 18 seconds to one buyer.....
    I seen that. For some project being done in Bangor.. BUT not a rebound. Crazyness!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting...

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't realize those sold for that much.

That's awesome. Happy for Gerald and I love these local projects he(or someone)is plotting

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure most of you know by now that Gerald bought 60 copies of the UK edition to give out to the children's wing at the big hospital in Bangor. Apparently some people are displeased with this which just kills me. His own money to give what is essentially a children's book out to actual children who are sick with not one string attached. Gee, what an evil thing to do. Good for him and I think it's fantastic. If things come together there may be other charitable happenings in the future again with him taking no profit.
    I saw one of those Thinner firsts. I wanted to cry as it was so pristine. Perhaps we'll see them again.........

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Regarding the Thinners, there is a plan and it's a bit optimistic but, hey, good luck to those involved.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post
    Regarding the Thinners, there is a plan and it's a bit optimistic but, hey, good luck to those involved.
    Yes.....that's what I've heard. Not the actual plan or buyer yet but something may be coming. I hope so because I wanted one of those!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    I'm sure most of you know by now that Gerald bought 60 copies of the UK edition to give out to the children's wing at the big hospital in Bangor. Apparently some people are displeased with this which just kills me. His own money to give what is essentially a children's book out to actual children who are sick with not one string attached. Gee, what an evil thing to do. Good for him and I think it's fantastic. If things come together there may be other charitable happenings in the future again with him taking no profit.
    I saw one of those Thinner firsts. I wanted to cry as it was so pristine. Perhaps we'll see them again.........
    Where has someone indicated that they were displeased? I read no negative comments here or on FB. I wonder where he came across that? Although it is a cool idea... The 1st,2nd or 3rd trades would have sufficed no? Anyways, I just cannot imagine anyone getting upset about Gerald doing what he wants with his money either way.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast