2018 DT.Org Fundraiser-The Last Hurrah!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21
Results 501 to 511 of 511

Thread: Gerald Winters and Son, the new bookstore in Bangor

  1. #501
    Other worlds Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick has much to be proud of Patrick's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    12,493
    My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Personally, if a burst water main destroyed 2000 items of my personal collection that I had moved the the basement temporarily, my priorities would be:
    - trying to recover what I could
    - figuring out what insurance would and would not cover
    - trying to clean up the whole mess so I could reopen for business
    - trying not to blame myself for having the stuff in the basement in the first place
    - keeping well-wishers informed of what was going on, as time permitted

    Posting photographic proof of the extent of the damage so complete strangers can be assured that I'm not lying would not be on that list, let alone near the top.

    HBJ
    +1
    Good perspective on priorities in the face of personal disaster.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

  2. #502
    Gunslinger Apprentice Alec has a spectacular aura about Alec has a spectacular aura about Alec has a spectacular aura about

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Good perspective from a collectors point of view, however I would have thought from an insurance perspective with most books apparently hosed into a soup, photographic evidence would have been right at the top. Not necessarily to show complete strangers. But when a catastrophe occurs like this you can rest assured your insurance assessor will not be a stranger for very long.

  3. #503
    Citizen of Gilead amd013 is a jewel in the rough amd013 is a jewel in the rough amd013 is a jewel in the rough amd013's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    739
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Good perspective from a collectors point of view, however I would have thought from an insurance perspective with most books apparently hosed into a soup, photographic evidence would have been right at the top. Not necessarily to show complete strangers. But when a catastrophe occurs like this you can rest assured your insurance assessor will not be a stranger for very long.
    I am sure an insurance inspector would have been on site to inspect it, and taken their own pictures. I am sure they would like to see any pictures he had of the inventory pre-flood if he has them.
    Wanted:

    'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606. (could just trade limitation sheets).

  4. #504
    Can Toi Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    5,373
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Personally, if a burst water main destroyed 2000 items of my personal collection that I had moved the the basement temporarily, my priorities would be:
    - trying to recover what I could
    - figuring out what insurance would and would not cover
    - trying to clean up the whole mess so I could reopen for business
    - trying not to blame myself for having the stuff in the basement in the first place
    - keeping well-wishers informed of what was going on, as time permitted

    Posting photographic proof of the extent of the damage so complete strangers can be assured that I'm not lying would not be on that list, let alone near the top.

    HBJ
    Positive Rep, Jack! I'll admit I haven't been following this thread very closely, but I do wonder why such value items would be stored in the basement. That being said, my "library is in the basement but all books are well above the waterline should there ever be a disaster. My greatest fear is fire.
    "Any area of collecting only becomes really worth it when shared with like minded people"-Alec aka Anonymous

  5. #505
    Gunslinger Apprentice Hunchback Jack has a spectacular aura about Hunchback Jack has a spectacular aura about Hunchback Jack's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Good perspective from a collectors point of view, however I would have thought from an insurance perspective with most books apparently hosed into a soup, photographic evidence would have been right at the top. Not necessarily to show complete strangers.
    Absolutely agree. Getting a list of damages and photos for insurance would absolutely be a priority. But posting those photos online to allay suspicious minds would not be much of one, for me personally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Positive Rep, Jack! I'll admit I haven't been following this thread very closely, but I do wonder why such value items would be stored in the basement.
    Thanks for the rep! I think I read in one of the early accounts of the disaster that Gerald had moved the items into the basement temporarily while he was reorganizing stock in his store. He planned to move them back upstairs to display in the store.

    HBJ

  6. #506
    Can Toi Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861 has much to be proud of Brian861's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    5,373
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post
    Thanks for the rep! I think I read in one of the early accounts of the disaster that Gerald had moved the items into the basement temporarily while he was reorganizing stock in his store. He planned to move them back upstairs to display in the store. HBJ
    Most welcome. Ah, I see in regards to the basement.
    "Any area of collecting only becomes really worth it when shared with like minded people"-Alec aka Anonymous

  7. #507
    Don't. Get. Married. Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon has a brilliant future Shannon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    7,475
    My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    ... holy shit, that was awesome. Just caught up on the last four/five pages of the thread and situation.

    TDT.org: Civil War

    Mooooooooooooore! Mooooooooooore! Someone call someone else an asshole! Someone demand photographic proof! Someone talk shit to Boss Man! Mooooooooooooooooore!


  8. #508
    Motion Picture Extraordinaire T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47 has a brilliant future T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The naughty corner....
    Posts
    3,690
    My Mood
    Flirty
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    ... holy shit, that was awesome. Just caught up on the last four/five pages of the thread and situation.

    TDT.org: Civil War

    Mooooooooooooore! Mooooooooooore! Someone call someone else an asshole! Someone demand photographic proof! Someone talk shit to Boss Man! Mooooooooooooooooore!



    SUPPORT HOT LIBRARIANS!
    DONATE TO THE DT.ORG FUNDRAISER!!!


  9. #509
    Citizen of Gilead amd013 is a jewel in the rough amd013 is a jewel in the rough amd013 is a jewel in the rough amd013's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    739
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    ... holy shit, that was awesome. Just caught up on the last four/five pages of the thread and situation.

    TDT.org: Civil War

    Mooooooooooooore! Mooooooooooore! Someone call someone else an asshole! Someone demand photographic proof! Someone talk shit to Boss Man! Mooooooooooooooooore!



    I didn't remember any of it after he leaves the office to complain. I should watch an episode tonight.
    Wanted:

    'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606. (could just trade limitation sheets).

  10. #510
    Owner Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg has a reputation beyond repute Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    37,372
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    I think this discussion has run its course. Feel free to post more opinions/arguments if you think they will contribute to passionate discussion.

  11. #511
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958 has a reputation beyond repute Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    YANKEE STADIUM!!!!!
    Posts
    26,714
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I think this discussion has run its course. Feel free to post more opinions/arguments if you think they will contribute to passionate discussion.
    The Evil Empire!!


    "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy" - Josey Wales

    My collection thread:
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ion-Merlin1958

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts