Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things on Netflix

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

While watching a couple of episodes last night it finally hit me what the music in the opening credits reminded me of. The old Warriors game from PS2. The music is eerily similar.

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

The theme music always reminds me of just about any John Carpenter movie music, like, ever. The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China and Escape from New York in particular.

Then again, nothing says 80s quite like Snake Plissken and Jack Burton.

EDIT: If you really like the music, the first season soundtrack is available on Spotify. I'm waiting for season two to show up.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I found season 2 to be as excellent as the first; every minute, whether battling monsters or regretting halloween costumes, was compelling. It managed to maintain the feeling that we were still going along for an uncertain ride, and not simply being served a helping of "here's what happened the day after the prom" etc.

I had no problem with
    Spoiler:
    11 crying etc.; the fact is that she is powerful when having to use her powers, but vulnerable when simply trying to connect with others.

I had no problem with
    Spoiler:
    Hopper flipping out at her, because he had to take total control over her simply to have a chance of protecting her from the government types that no doubt still had eyes on Hawkins.

About episode 7:
    Spoiler:
    everything in this episode made sense (that 11, having escaped Hopper's clutches, would seek out her mother and go from there to find 8, but would feel the need to return to Hawkins), but given that the entire episode occurred outside Hawkins (I think), it did feel like it wasn't an episode of ST. That may sound like the ultimate insult, or admission of failure, but I don't see it that way; I just see it as a detour that the writers found necessary. I would've preferred that they fit it into half an episode and filled the rest of the episode with Hawkins-based events, but no big deal. Having said that, if this had turned into a 2 or 3-episode "on the run" arc, I would have been disappointed. Some have said that this episode may set up future seasons; if future ST seasons become some version of X Men/Mutants, count me out.

I liked Bob, but really I went from first thinking
    Spoiler:
    he was a tack-on character only present to illustrate that life had somewhat gone back to normal for them, to thinking he was obviously a government plant to keep an eye on their family, and then only when he helped interpret the map did I understand he was nothing more than what met the eye.

As for Billy, I think a big part of any child-centric horror story is that the children aren't just dealing with the monsters, they're dealing with the apathy of unhelpful adults as well as the crap other kids do to them (like Billy or any other bully). Billy was a big part of this, not to mention a significant part of Max's life. To me, it all fits.

Cool idea to
    Spoiler:
    paint the lab as involved in a more mundane type of corruption in order to get it shut down.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with every one of your points, St. Troy.

I loved Bob's character and I like how they took him in different directions too. That said, I knew
    Spoiler:
    he was going to bite it
    from the day Astin was cast.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanted...
    Spoiler:

Billy to either help or be disposed of. Something about the character appealed to me though. I'll wait for season 3.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have the Season 1 soundtrack on one of my spotify playlists. It's fantastic!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've got one more episode of Season 2. I'm enjoying it but I was really hoping the shadow monster would be more of a presence throughout the season. Plus, everyone's story just feels like a side-plot.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I've got one more episode of Season 2. I'm enjoying it but I was really hoping the shadow monster would be more of a presence throughout the season. Plus, everyone's story just feels like a side-plot.
    The shadow monster's presence literally has its tentacles wrapped around everything almost the entire season. Unless you're talking about the actual manifestation of the monster.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I mean actually seeing it. Similar to the creatures in The Mist where they were literally spilling over into the town (and no, the demidogs don't count).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Yeah, I mean actually seeing it. Similar to the creatures in The Mist where they were literally spilling over into the town (and no, the demidogs don't count).
    The Mist film. We don't discuss the TV show. It's been forbidden.

Country
    Country Flag

A NEW GAME BEGINS

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed season 2 and thought it was much better than typical TV offerings. There were a number of things to me that didn't ring true with the time period but overall it was entertaining, nostalgic, and just plain fun. I hope for another season or something similar to keep me smiling and entertained.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Finally finished up this season the other week. I really enjoyed it. While it wasn't as good as S1 I thought it was still a very solid show. The only thing I didn't like was the episode everyone else has mentioned already, when 11 goes off to find 8. It just didn't flow with the rest of the season and seemed completely out of place. I really hope this isn't something they pursue in future seasons.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    There were a number of things to me that didn't ring true with the time period
    Like what?

I've determined that I was almost the same age as the kids in the time period this is set in, maybe just a little bit younger, so a lot of it is nostalgia for me. The He-Man figures, the Star Wars figures, the arcade. Wearing a Halloween costume to school when you are almost too old for it.

I didn't notice anything obviously out of place but maybe I missed some things.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Finally finished up this season the other week. I really enjoyed it. While it wasn't as good as S1 I thought it was still a very solid show. The only thing I didn't like was the episode everyone else has mentioned already, when 11 goes off to find 8. It just didn't flow with the rest of the season and seemed completely out of place. I really hope this isn't something they pursue in future seasons.
    I agree that it didn't fit with the rest of the season but I'm glad they told the story. Hawkins has been around for quite a while and Eleven is obviously not the only kid they've experimented on/with. It's good to see that the story goes beyond just this small town.

It was an abrupt change but I don't know that it would've made sense putting it anywhere else in the season either. The one good thing was that unlike network shows that are only on once a week, it was easy enough to just go right into the next episode and get back into the story again. I didn't have to spend a week wondering what happened.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Subtle things mostly revolving around language.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    There were a number of things to me that didn't ring true with the time period
    Like what?

I've determined that I was almost the same age as the kids in the time period this is set in, maybe just a little bit younger, so a lot of it is nostalgia for me. The He-Man figures, the Star Wars figures, the arcade. Wearing a Halloween costume to school when you are almost too old for it.

I didn't notice anything obviously out of place but maybe I missed some things.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I agree that it didn't fit with the rest of the season but I'm glad they told the story. Hawkins has been around for quite a while and Eleven is obviously not the only kid they've experimented on/with. It's good to see that the story goes beyond just this small town.

It was an abrupt change but I don't know that it would've made sense putting it anywhere else in the season either. The one good thing was that unlike network shows that are only on once a week, it was easy enough to just go right into the next episode and get back into the story again. I didn't have to spend a week wondering what happened.
    I agree it was a little out of the flow, but I actually liked learning more about Hawkins Lab. I wouldn't mind at all if Season 3 dug more into Hawkins Lab itself and the other children they experimented on.

A possible SK connection I just read about today... Ed Deepneau works for Hawkings Laboratories, which is very similar to Hawkins Laboratories. Apparently the Duffers are big SK fans so might not be a coincidence.
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Country
    Country Flag

I actually liked The Lost Sister. I didn't mind the detour with Eight. I can see how it may have been jarring for some, but the episode had to exist to allow Eleven to see the other side of the coin and what she could/could have become (Eight) and allow her the chance to decide for herself which "side" she was going to choose: bitterness and revenge with her new friends, or putting aside the things she doesn't like (Hopper keeping her from Mike, Max's new place in the group) for the pre-existing closeness with her old ones.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

11 + 8 = 19

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    11 + 8 = 19

I saw a bag similair to this while out shopping over the weekend. It made me laugh. Of course my wife didn't get it as she's never watched the show.

Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast