Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things on Netflix

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Many many thanks to all of you for recommending this series!

I started watching and
    could
    not
    stop
    !!!

It was by far the best thing on tv in a long long time.
    I havent watched something this addicting since Fringe...

WHERE IS SEASON TWO?!?!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ladysai View Post
    WHERE IS SEASON TWO?!?!

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Thanks for the video link!

I dont understand what advantage there is in keeping the focus on S1...

those great kids arent getting any younger...

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a question that I've been thinking about and can't really answer. What is it about this show that makes it so ... great? I feel that there's something rare and special about it, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Thoughts?

Gunslinger Apprentice bugen will become famous soon enough bugen's Avatar

Tough question. It’s firing on all cylinders with acting, writing, sound, setting, music, etc.--all the normal required stuff. But I agree, there still seems to be more to it.

Something about the camaraderie of the kids recalls the film Stand by Me and its source story, and I don’t see much of that stuff around anymore--it was great seeing it done so well. King’s line comes to mind, “I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, did you?” I might just be watching the wrong stuff, but it seems most coming-of-age today focuses on teenage romance or innate, developing powers and not actual friendships.
    “Reality is a nice place to visit, but you wouldn’t want to live there.”
    -John Barth

bugensbooks.com

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I think it might also plays on our nostalgia for those of us that grew up in that era. Not to mention all the nods to some of our best loved films.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I think it might also plays on our nostalgia for those of us that grew up in that era. Not to mention all the nods to some of our best loved films.
    That's primarily what endeared me to the show. The nostalgia. Of course, it wouldn't have worked without the great writing, acting and directing, etc. which was all top notch. And of course the music. I made a playlist of it all from that YouTube video.

To me, the appeal is found in everything already stated above, but its also the fantastic actors they found to play the kids' parts. Their performances are so on point...they seem to truly be a group of suburban friends growing up in the 80s.
    The magic of the series is likely a combination of talents of everyone involved in the production, but those kids just shine.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think it's nostalgia per se, but more the authenticity of it. It looks like a lost treasure that was filmed in the '80s and remained unreleased till now.

Gunslinger Apprentice Glam Princess is on a distinguished road Glam Princess's Avatar

Love love love this show!!!! It does have that stand my me friendship feel to it.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished it. What an amazing show! I absolutely adore how it's filled with homage to so many different things, and yet overall, the story itself is refreshingly original. It's not a sequel or a reboot. It's not based on a comic or a film. It's completely its own thing, and yet the creators (who just seemed to come out nowhere!) have created a series that seems to be becoming massively popular. That is so refreshing to see in this day and age.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Just finished it. What an amazing show! I absolutely adore how it's filled with homage to so many different things, and yet overall, the story itself is refreshingly original. It's not a sequel or a reboot. It's not based on a comic or a film. It's completely its own thing, and yet the creators (who just seemed to come out nowhere!) have created a series that seems to be becoming massively popular. That is so refreshing to see in this day and age.
    Well said! I get so tired of the same shit over again, and while this had the retro flair, it was so vastly different. We finished it last night and both loved it. Now the tough part - when does season 2 become available?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Well said! I get so tired of the same shit over again, and while this had the retro flair, it was so vastly different. We finished it last night and both loved it. Now the tough part - when does season 2 become available?
    They haven't written it yet, so it'll be a while. I'm watching it a second time, one episode each morning while I exercise, in preparation for doing a tag-team conversational review with Hank Wagner for Dead Reckonings.

Gunslinger Apprentice Glam Princess is on a distinguished road Glam Princess's Avatar

I loved this! It was fun and nostalgic and scary. It ended perfectly, I don't wAnt another season unless it's perfect like this one! I'm afraid that another season will ruin it somehow.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Well - I did not grow up in that era (missed it by a decade, and even if I hadn't, my everything would have been totally different). As far as the best loved films, I was really really bored by most of those mentioned in this thread.

But I loved loved loved the series, and totally agree with Shannon on there being something rare and special about it. For me it might be this:
    Quote Originally Posted by bugen View Post
    Something about the camaraderie of the kids recalls the film Stand by Me and its source story, and I don’t see much of that stuff around anymore--it was great seeing it done so well. King’s line comes to mind, “I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, did you?” I might just be watching the wrong stuff, but it seems most coming-of-age today focuses on teenage romance or innate, developing powers and not actual friendships.
    Agree with every word, and can't thank the creators of the series enough for actually making it happen - not only conceiving of a story consisting of basic truths and essential values, but giving it flesh, bringing it to life with magnificent storytelling, superb directing, and cast which - I have no words to begin to describe how awesome it is.

It is pure delight to watch, and it's so - which would be the correct word? tight? - not a word, not a wink goes astray, everything hits the mark.

And oh so King-ish! A perfect ka-tet of "losers", and observation that kids and adults live in worlds that don't cross - for ages those three age-based groups of people (kids, two teens and two grown-ups) fought each their own fight, without ever thinking that it was possible to join forces with someone, to get help, hell, just to be understood and believed! Each in their own private world, whose boundaries are firmly defined by their age - thus when finally they did get together, it was such a great moment in the film, one of its many many tops.

Funny at times, and sweet in that sad nostalgic way, and honest in a way that seems long-forgotten: reminding that good is good and bad is bad, and the time might come when one must stand and be true, and one doesn't give up on those one loves, and friends don't lie.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Glam Princess View Post
    I loved this! It was fun and nostalgic and scary. It ended perfectly, I don't wAnt another season unless it's perfect like this one! I'm afraid that another season will ruin it somehow.
    Nooooooo!!! I want Eleven back!!! I am absolutely crazy about her, and I want her back!!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler Walter O Dim will become famous soon enough

I enjoyed it, and it certainly hit a nostalgia sweet spot. That being said, I did feel that towards the end it lost a lot of its impact. The upside down was very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glam Princess View Post
    Nooooooo!!! I want Eleven back!!! I am absolutely crazy about her, and I want her back!!
    i do to, but it was so perfect, i am fearful that another season will ruin things.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure about Eleven but you can guarantee you'll be seeing Papa again.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I've watched the first two episodes, and I am enjoying it so far. I'm not head over heels excited about it yet though.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I've watched the first two episodes, and I am enjoying it so far. I'm not head over heels exited about it yet though.
    I didn't fall in love until the 3rd episode. Just wait.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I've watched the first two episodes, and I am enjoying it so far. I'm not head over heels excited about it yet though.
    I didn't fall in love until the 3rd episode. Just wait.
    The third episode did it. Wow!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I can't boil the success of ST down to one thing, but something that stood out in ST as well as Super 8 was that so much of it was told through
    Spoiler:
    the inner world of a pre-teen friendship, a time when you were just getting an idea of how big the world is but before you got an idea of how small it was too. That window is so temporary, in large part because the hormones are about to hit, and those things really shrink the mind's focus down, and you start caring less about things like who would win in a battle between Indiana Jones and James Bond (the consensus answer: Bond would get the upper hand, but Jones would escape). If that sounds like a cynical view, maybe it's because the absence of cynicism is one of the identifying qualities of those years - when you know the easter bunny isn't real, but some of this other magic stuff just might be.

As far as the whole "pre-hormone" thing goes, in both ST and S8, there is a bit of interest in the opposite sex, but it manifests in ways that show that girls are still a source of mystery with a magical nature all their own (in ST, Mike has a bit of a thing for Eleven and there is one quick kiss; in S8, I think Joe and possibly the other boys eventually learned to look at Alice like she was magical after starting out thinking of her as just another one of the gang) and not quite yet the subject of more concrete and practical plans on the part of boys everywhere.

In a general sense, it's interesting to see how filmmakers (I include TV) present material that is at all fantastic (portraying the impossible or unreal). You can present it coldly and simply bludgeon people over the head with it (the Nolan Batman movies did this very well), or you can try to subtly finesse it in somehow (two of my favorites are M. Night Shyamalan's Signs and Lady In The Water). The use of
    Spoiler:
    the 'young friendship'
    as a vehicle in ST and S8, I think, can be a great way to do this, very ripe for this kind of story (when done well, of course, as was the case in both).
    Last edited by St. Troy; 08-16-2016 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Learning to use spoiler tags! Hurrah for the adventure!
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    SOME SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T YET SEEN THE WHOLE SERIES:
    Stopped reading.

Please use the spoiler tags, my friend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast