Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jack Ketchum

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Jack Ketchum

I've heard a lot about this author but he's come off as pretty extreme so I've been a bit nervous about reading him. Anyway, I got 'Red' at a used bookstore, which is supposedly one of his 'milder' books. If I like 'Red', which books should I read next?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read those two--Red and TGND. Both are good, but TGND is pretty disturbing. Stephen King did the introduction for the signed/limited edition of that story.

I don't know a lot about Ketchum (other than it's actually a pseudonym for Dallas Mayr), but I've got a few more of his books on my TBR pile.

Let us know what you think.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

TGND - yes quite disturbing. I kind of felt dirty rading it!

Sidenote: I bought the S/L at Betts for $75. It was my first SK signature! And if you are reading hte S/L do not read the intro until after you have read the book - too many spoilers!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    TGND - yes quite disturbing. I kind of felt dirty rading it!

Sidenote: I bought the S/L at Betts for $75. It was my first SK signature! And if you are reading hte S/L do not read the intro until after you have read the book - too many spoilers!
    I paid a few dollars more ($115, I think), and it was my first SK sig as well. I read the book before I had the S/L. I want to see the movie and see how they handled it.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought that TGND was an ok book. This dude in nothing like Stephen King though.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

I read Red. It was decent but not enough for me to hunt any others down.
    In Digitized Remorse

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fall of Gilead View Post
    I read Red. It was decent but not enough for me to hunt any others down.
    I'd agree with that. Luckily TGND was the first Ketchum I'd read and it made me chase down everything I could find by him.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by William50 View Post
    I thought that TGND was an ok book. This dude in nothing like Stephen King though.
    Is anyone like Stephen King????

The one thing I haven't read yet is SK's intro to TGND that he did for the limited edition.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Disturbing in what way?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

What the book? The Girl Next Door? Ketchum?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

All of them

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, okay disturbing in most every way you're likely to think of.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Including gore?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Umm...yes. Somewhat over the top sex and gore.

If you rescue me

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Sign me up!

Gunslinger Apprentice Samanthita is on a distinguished road

I read TGND a few weeks ago. It's the first book I've read by him and I enjoyed it. The subject matter is a little over the top for some, but that part comes late in the book. It didn't really bother me though. I'm very interested in psychology, so I read it thinking about the reasons why, not the actions themselves. It probably helped that someone told me what it was about first, so I was prepared for it.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

+ Reply to Thread