Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Beauties: new Stephen King novel with Owen King

Hybrid View

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Sleeping Beauties: new Stephen King novel with Owen King

As per Lilja:

http://www.liljas-library.com/section.php?id=122
    On the Charleston stop on the End of Watch tour King mentioned how he and his son Owen have collaborated on a book set in a women’s prison in West Virginia. A first draft of that work has been finished which means we probably won’t see it until the fall of 2017 at the earliest. No info on what kind of book it is but the title will be Sleeping Beauties.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Kind of disappointed that it's not with Joe Hill. I haven't read any of Owen's stuff.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm pretty excited. I haven't read anything by Owen either but by all accounts he's very different from Stephen and Joe, very funny and realistic, so I will be very much looking forward to this. Always great to see King doing something different.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read Double Feature and greatly enjoyed it. It was a different genre from his family. I think this could be interesting.

Gunslinger Apprentice NoAttitudeThisTime is on a distinguished road

Yeah, we've already enjoyed Steve and Joe together twice, let's get something different.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well they've done a few decent short stories together but I'd prefer a novel over them.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Just a tiny bit of an update about this novel from King's Library of Congress event today. He called the book "very long".

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Publishers Weekly announcement: Stephen King and son Owen King's SLEEPING BEAUTIES, a novel set in the near future, [sold] to Nan Graham at Scribner, for publication in 2017

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Publishers Weekly announcement: Stephen King and son Owen King's SLEEPING BEAUTIES, a novel set in the near future, [sold] to Nan Graham at Scribner, for publication in 2017
    Shocker...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Country
    Country Flag

Hope we get some more news soon! Maybe a spring/summer publication date?

Country
    Country Flag

Well, it could've been published with Owen's publishers. I guess this may mean it's more of a King book.

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/art...-joint-reading
    Renowned suspense novelist Stephen King and award-winning poet Eileen Myles gave a joint reading at 4:30 p.m. on Nov. 16, as part of the Althea Ward Clark W’21 Reading Series 2016-2017. The writers were introduced by professor of creative writing Emeritus Joyce Carol Oates and professor of creative writing Susan Wheeler, respectively.

“We invited both of these writers because they do something in their genres that no one else does,” Michael Dickman, a lecturer in the Creative Writing department, said. “They read on the same day by happenstance in their schedules, but it was a great combination.”

Dickman aided in organizing the talk.

Myles read a selection of her older works as well as an excerpt from her current project “Afterglow.” King followed with two excerpts from his upcoming novel Sleeping Beauties, which he co-wrote with his son Owen King.

“To tell a really good story is what is most important to me,” King said. “I think writers decide what they really think by codifying their thoughts in words.”

“It’s very interesting to see an author speak in person. With athletes or actors you directly see the person doing their work, but when an author creates art I have a bond with that art piece and not necessarily the actual person,” Jacob Sweetow ’20 said. “It was cool to bridge that gap and unveil the real Stephen King.”

“It was really awesome seeing Tracy K. Smith, Joyce Carol Oates, Stephen King, and Eileen Myles in the same room,” said Destiny Salter ’20.

Salter also noted that the difference between the various speakers contributed to her enthusiasm for the event.

“What struck me is the number of people at the reading today, and that’s what we want for every reading in the series,” Dickman added. “Whether you know them or not, the other writers in the series are just as dynamic and exciting.”

The next reading in the Althea Ward Clark W’21 Reading Series will consist of University student readings and will take place on Dec. 14, at 5 p.m. in the Chancellor Green Rotunda.

Citizen of Gilead Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja's Avatar

I'm surpriced that so little has been said about this. Did no one film it? Didn't anyone attend and could tell us what the book was all about? Usually we know a lot very soon after King has read from something new but not this time...

Lilja

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
    I'm surpriced that so little has been said about this. Did no one film it? Didn't anyone attend and could tell us what the book was all about? Usually we know a lot very soon after King has read from something new but not this time...

Lilja
    I agree. Someone please help.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think anyone here got tickets. There weren't many available to the public.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.centraljersey.com/lifesty...338a7838c.html
    Stephen King gave a Princeton audience a preview of his newest work, which will be published in 2017.

The legendary author shared two excerpts from “Sleeping Beauties,” which Mr. King wrote with his son, Owen King, an author in his own right, having published such acclaimed books as “We’re All in This Together: A Novella and Stories,” and “Double Feature: A Novel.”

During his reading — which was part of the Althea Ward Clark Reading Series, presented by Princeton University’s Program in Creative in Writing — at McCarter Theatre on Nov. 16, Stephen King read the excerpts from an iPad. He explained that he and his son started working on the book two years ago after Owen came to him with an idea — a story about what would happen if all the women in the world fell asleep.

Mr. King, whose bibliography of bestsellers includes “Carrie,” “The Shining,” “Misery,” “Under the Dome,” and “11/22/63,” said the idea brought two memories to mind. His mother-in-law once told him that if you go into someone’s house and there isn’t a ring in the toilet bowl, it means a woman lives in the home. The other thought was his mother saying that no man knows how to property fold a shirt (men who served in the military may disagree).

Wearing jeans, a collared shirt, and sneakers, Mr. King was introduced by Joyce Carol Oates. Mr. King talked about the story, and a bit about writing. “One of the reasons writers write is to figure out what they think by codifying it into words,” he said. He also joked about pushing the wrong button on his iPad and losing the excerpts, “What will you do then Smartass?” he said to himself. He added that while the iPad is amazing, he preferred reading printed pages. “These are just boops and bleeps,” he said of the words on the screen. It was an interesting remark from a writer who was among the first major authors to publish an original story as an e-book, and who has published a few things exclusively for Amazon’s Kindle.

The stage was decorated with the set for a production of the musical “Once,” presented by the Lewis Center for the Arts. Standing before some wooden tables, a bar and under dozens of hanging chandeliers, Mr. King read two excerpts from the book, one from a man’s point of view, and one from the point of a view from a female character, who is existing in another dimension.

Poet and novelist Eileen Myles also participated in the reading, sharing several poems, and an excerpt from “Afterglow,” her upcoming account of a dog’s life.

Eight days after the election, it was clear that Donald Trump’s victory was on everyone’s mind. The day after the election, Mr. King announced a break from tweeting after Mr. Trump’s win. As of this writing, he hasn’t resumed tweeting, but Ms. Oates said she hoped he’d return to Twitter (and his more than 2.5 million followers) soon.

Audience members were given a paper listing the platform for Ms. Myles’ run for president, in 1992. She promised to abolish the income tax, and to tax assets instead; to refuse to live in the White House while there were homeless people in America; to write her own speeches; and to guarantee healthcare for all Americans, because she needed it to.

Ms. Myles started her reading with what she described as her “early lesbian poems,” before reading her more recent work. She then nodded toward Mr. King and said, “We’ve all got them.”

Her poems included “Failed Appointment,” about her 95-year-old mother. The poem came about after a few incidents where people gathered because thought her mother would die. It’s a serious topic, but Ms. Myles was funny and engaging as she read the work.

Another poem, “Peanut Butter” was about hunger, sex, swimming and summer (“the sensation of being dirty in body and mind/ summer as a time to do nothing and make no money”).

At one point, Ms. Myles paused to note about the election, “Not to be partisan, but... “ She then made a gesture with a certain finger.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX is a glorious beacon of light RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good grief what a sob fest. Imagine listening to these bores pout about the election. I never even heard of this "poet." I'm surprised King can carry on even with his $400 million dollars. I hope he can rally himself.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for contributing to the conversation.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Has a synopsis or plot been released about this book?

Country
    Country Flag

Not an official synopsis or anything. Just what's been posted in this thread.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The book will be published in October (no day set yet)

Brief synopsis: What would happen if all the women abandoned the world? A wildly provocative novel of supernatural suspense, SLEEPING BEAUTIES is the first father/son collaboration between Stephen King and Owen King. ​

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Brief synopsis: What would happen if all the women abandoned the world? A wildly provocative novel of supernatural suspense, SLEEPING BEAUTIES is the first father/son collaboration between Stephen King and Owen King. ​
    Neat! thanks Bev. I was hoping it would be a straight up comedy novel like Owen's book but sounds cool like a reverse Y the Last Man.

Country
    Country Flag

SK.com lists October 1. Is that just a placeholder date?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    One would think. Sunday book releases are unheard of.

Gunslinger Apprentice nocny will become famous soon enough nocny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Moderator of SK.com wrote: "the book will be released in October but no exact date has been decided yet."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast