Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Petition of over 450 writers on Trump

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Petition of over 450 writers on Trump

Including King :

AN OPEN LETTER TO OUR FELLOW AMERICANS

Because, as writers, we are particularly aware of the many ways that language can be abused in the name of power;

Because we believe that any democracy worthy of the name rests on pluralism, welcomes principled disagreement, and achieves consensus through reasoned debate;

Because American history, despite periods of nativism and bigotry, has from the first been a grand experiment in bringing people of different backgrounds together, not pitting them against one another;

Because the history of dictatorship is the history of manipulation and division, demagoguery and lies;

Because the search for justice is predicated on a respect for the truth;

Because we believe that knowledge, experience, flexibility, and historical awareness are indispensable in a leader;

Because neither wealth nor celebrity qualifies anyone to speak for the United States, to lead its military, to maintain its alliances, or to represent its people;

Because the rise of a political candidate who deliberately appeals to the basest and most violent elements in society, who encourages aggression among his followers, shouts down opponents, intimidates dissenters, and denigrates women and minorities, demands, from each of us, an immediate and forceful response;

For all these reasons, we, the undersigned, as a matter of conscience, oppose, unequivocally, the candidacy of Donald J. Trump for the Presidency of the United States.

>>> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/WritersOnTrump
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Um, shouldn't this be addressed to all politicians. haha
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Because the rise of a political candidate who deliberately appeals to the basest and most violent elements in society, who encourages aggression among his followers, shouts down opponents, intimidates dissenters, and denigrates women and minorities, demands, from each of us, an immediate and forceful response

I love this for a couple reasons.

1) denigrates women - oh really? Is that why men are paid nearly 38% more than women while working for the Clinton foundation?

2) badest and most violent of society - huh? Didn't know I was part of that. I'm a peace loving American who likes trumps ideas of putting America first. Whether or not he will deliver On his promises is another story.

3)can someone please explain how the democrats help minorities? The minorities are becoming acutely aware that voting democrat doesn't really get you much.

King should chill on the politics for awhile.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

+1.

Yes, we are now told that "America first" is synonymous with "hey dumb rednecks, let's go round up all the non-whites" despite it always having been the implied job description for the office of the presidency.

Trump is far from perfect (no one is perfect, but he's further away than most ) and was never my first choice, but why distort his message? Politics, that's why...whether listening to a Trump speech or reading this petition, remember to think for yourself.

While you can vote for or against Trump and still be intelligent and sane (this has nothing to do with taking sides; I agree with some, and disagree with some, of most candidates' positions), I have to say that these writers (as well as many of Trump's critics) have embraced the fictitious narrative of hostility supposedly underlying his goals, and charges like "encouraging aggression" are best leveled at his opponents at public events (yes, Trump said something dumb once, but his opponents have been bringing violence and intimidation on a regular basis). If someone had stolen an Obama lawn sign 8 years ago (or 4), it would have been considered a hate crime, but with Trump it's practically considered a heroic act of protected speech. Oppose the guy, but let's be fair. [Note: of course I'm not blaming these writers - or King - for those specific acts; I'm addressing the overall anti-Trump hysteria.]

Vote your conscience, but enough about Trump = antichrist etc. He's just another candidate that may or may not do a terrible job. If he gets in, we can kick him out in a few years. Unless there's a real life Johnny Smith out there that knows he's going to blow the whole thing up, let's be a bit smarter about this than this petition wants us to be.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

St. Troy gets it.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Because the rise of a political candidate who deliberately appeals to the basest and most violent elements in society, who encourages aggression among his followers, shouts down opponents, intimidates dissenters, and denigrates women and minorities, demands, from each of us, an immediate and forceful response

I love this for a couple reasons.

1) denigrates women - oh really? Is that why men are paid nearly 38% more than women while working for the Clinton foundation?

2) badest and most violent of society - huh? Didn't know I was part of that. I'm a peace loving American who likes trumps ideas of putting America first. Whether or not he will deliver On his promises is another story.

3)can someone please explain how the democrats help minorities? The minorities are becoming acutely aware that voting democrat doesn't really get you much.

King should chill on the politics for awhile.
    The petition just said they oppose Trump; it didn't say anything about them supporting a democratic candidate or the Democratic Party in general.

My Mood
    Inspired

So are you trying to tell me that King doesn't support liberal democratic politics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    So are you trying to tell me that King doesn't support liberal democratic politics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, I'm saying that the petition only speaks to not supporting Trump for President.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Both Candidates are nightmares. This is an extreme, reckless idea, just a thought, but I really wish that NO American whatsoever vote in this election. Zero turnout for each candidate. THAT would send a definite message. This will never happen of course so we are left to vote for which one we think is the lesser evil. Some bullshit...

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

These kind of petitions are, imho, just asinine. There are petitions to get Clinton and Sanders to drop out too. It is just ridiculous.

The majority of the republican party have voted to make Trump their candidate and the majority rules. And I imagine most of the signers are supporters of the democratic party which makes this petition even more ridiculous and self serving, seeing as they won't be voting for a republican/conservative anyway.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

The petition is irrelevant. The fact that they are authors and have political opinions is also irrelevant. It holds no more importance than if 399 random people and I got together and signed a petition. The fact that they think this somehow matters to anyone, or that it even should matter what they think about politics, shows how disillusion they are. I don't care about their political opinions. Their votes count exactly the same as everyone else's. That's the great thing about democracy.

How obnoxious.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Both Candidates are nightmares. This is an extreme, reckless idea, just a thought, but I really wish that NO American whatsoever vote in this election. Zero turnout for each candidate. THAT would send a definite message. This will never happen of course so we are left to vote for which one we think is the lesser evil. Some bullshit...
    That would be something. This is only the third presidential election I will be able to vote on and I am so sick of all the campaigning, ads, and wall to wall media coverage, I may just walk into the voting booth and blindly stab at the machine until it accepts my votes. I don't think I could do worse then actually picking one of the candidates.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    That would be something. This is only the third presidential election I will be able to vote on and I am so sick of all the campaigning, ads, and wall to wall media coverage, I may just walk into the voting booth and blindly stab at the machine until it accepts my votes. I don't think I could do worse then actually picking one of the candidates.
    It's been quite the shitshow, that's for sure...maybe they should just flip a coin and be done with it.

+ Reply to Thread