Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 388 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread: Current Market Value-Experts assess yours, or other's collectible King item

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This one ought to be interesting.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dark-Tower-The-Gu...QQcmdZViewItem

The seller pulled it and re-listed it in a lot, I got the lot for $90 including shipping.

Additional to the description - it has a forward lean to the spine and the binging is loosening at the covers. Aside from the darkened areas where tape had been, the tear to the ffep, and a library stamp (which is well placed so as not to be obvious) - it looks like a well loved book as opposed to an actual ex-library copy.

Obviously without a DJ its value plumets, but I'm interested to see what you guys have to say about its value. Did I make a good purchase?

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    This one ought to be interesting.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dark-Tower-The-Gu...QQcmdZViewItem

The seller pulled it and re-listed it in a lot, I got the lot for $90 including shipping.

Additional to the description - it has a forward lean to the spine and the binging is loosening at the covers. Aside from the darkened areas where tape had been, the tear to the ffep, and a library stamp (which is well placed so as not to be obvious) - it looks like a well loved book as opposed to an actual ex-library copy.

Obviously without a DJ its value plumets, but I'm interested to see what you guys have to say about its value. Did I make a good purchase?
    I have a spare DJ for this book for sale. It is pretty beat up, but it might be better than nothing. PM me if you are interested.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

My Signed/Limited Firestarter is also inscribed and dated at the title page. Has this added to the value or devalued it?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I would say it added to the value. (I'm assuming the inscription and signature is that of King.) Is the date close to the issue date on later? The closer to the issue date, of course, the more valuable.

John

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I would say it added to the value. (I'm assuming the inscription and signature is that of King.) Is the date close to the issue date on later? The closer to the issue date, of course, the more valuable.

John
    The inscription is dated 8/22/80. That's just over a month after release.

I got it from Betts, so King's inscription and signature are genuine. It also looks spot on to me.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations! That's a great acquisition!

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    The inscription is dated 8/22/80. That's just over a month after release.

I got it from Betts, so King's inscription and signature are genuine. It also looks spot on to me.
    It sounds great to me, too. To whom is the book inscribed? It might be an "association" copy.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    It sounds great to me, too. To whom is the book inscribed? It might be an "association" copy.
    It is inscribed: To Mark - All Best Stephen King 8/22/80

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just curious....

This is the Plume Gunslinger variant cover next to the actual released 1st edition. Does anybody know the full story of how many of these survived? What value would you place on it? I am considering taking my copy to DC to get is signed. It might be the only one of its kind signed....value?

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

2nd question pertains to the UK ARC of Song of Susannah. We know that UK Dark Tower ARC was limited to 100 copies numbered. SoS was not numbered but still appears to have a fairly limited release. Anybody have a guestimate as to how many? This is one of the other books I am thinking about taking to DC as I have a signed UK DT VII ARC (the only one signed that I know of). Thought it might be a cool set, given the similarity of the covers.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Gunslinger Apprentice Hutch will become famous soon enough Hutch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Just curious....

This is the Plume Gunslinger variant cover next to the actual released 1st edition. Does anybody know the full story of how many of these survived? What value would you place on it? I am considering taking my copy to DC to get is signed. It might be the only one of its kind signed....value?

We've all seen the drop in the value of our items. But nowhere in the King world has any drop been as steep as it has in the Dark Tower realm. If judging by value, I wouldn't take anything Dark Tower to get signed if you have other options in your collection. And David I know you have options.
    If you feel obligated to take a DT book because of the love of the series. Why not take your favorite remarque Artist edition DT VII?

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Just curious....

We've all seen the drop in the value of our items. But nowhere in the King world has any drop been as steep as it has in the Dark Tower realm. If judging by value, I wouldn't take anything Dark Tower to get signed if you have other options in your collection. And David I know you have options.
    If you feel obligated to take a DT book because of the love of the series. Why not take your favorite remarque Artist edition DT VII?
    That's a good idea....better still, why not take the S/Ltd you got from me? I'm sure King would enjoy seeing it and he might write an inscription to go with it....

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

P.S. I believe I have a unique Dark Tower item - I have the Wizard & Glass promo booklet signed. Never seen one before or since SK signed it for me.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wiz:

I received the letter from the publisher: 250 copies only of SOS UK ARC
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Wiz:

I received the letter from the publisher: 250 copies only of SOS UK ARC
    Very good information Ari, thanks even though it was directed at Wiz.
    Geoff

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Geoff.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Ari for the 250 number.

Thanks Hutch and Calla for your advice. Yes, I do have items where I could meaningfully increase the value by having King sign them. And yes, you are spot on in that the Dark Tower is my most favorite, extensive and unique part of my collection. I know too often I make decisions for my collection based 60% value and 40% love. Perhaps the Whelan remarqued DT AE editions represents the best of both to me. Will give it some thought.

And Ceri, I appreciate your suggestion on my "ultimate" remarque, but in my eyes, it is perfect in every way. Not even an inscription to me would make me love it more.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

David, ignore your head and listen to your heart. This isn't about the potential for a few hundred bucks swing in a book's value. You meet King, he signs a book for you, make it one you love because whatever he signs specifically for you in person is the last thing you'd sell anyway.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

You got that right
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gunslinger Apprentice Justin Case is on a distinguished road Justin Case's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi all.... I got to thinking. I've got an Arkham House 1st ed of New Tales of the Mythos (or some title similar - I'm at work and forget ). It has the first printing of SK's Crouch End. Any ball park estimate would be helpful. THANX!!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

If it's in fine condition, I'd say about $100-150. A quick search of Adall bookstores show some a lot higher, but the prices there are always too high. (They showed a high of $350!) There are a couple later printings on eBay in the $50 range.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Hi all.... I got to thinking. I've got an Arkham House 1st ed of New Tales of the Mythos (or some title similar - I'm at work and forget ). It has the first printing of SK's Crouch End. Any ball park estimate would be helpful. THANX!!

If this is the book you refer to..... I got mine off ebay for $9

Gunslinger Apprentice Justin Case is on a distinguished road Justin Case's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

John - thanks for the info... yeah, mine is not that fine but pretty OK

Mr. Rabbit Trick - yup, that's the baby. Wow, $9!!! I really did get beat, I paid $75!!

Phil

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    John - thanks for the info... yeah, mine is not that fine but pretty OK

Mr. Rabbit Trick - yup, that's the baby. Wow, $9!!! I really did get beat, I paid $75!!

Phil
    Arkham House books go from $10 to $500. It just matters. Unless we are talking about Dark Carnival or The Outsider and Others, then we’re talking thousands. If you remember Phil I got Lovecraft’s Dagon in mint condition for $25. I could have easily bought it for $250 somewhere else. So you never know what you could get on eBay for that book. In fact it's up for $55 on eBay right now (no bidders, though)
    Geoff

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I had a collection of about 150 Arkham House books that I sold last year for $8000. I was happy. I didn't have any of the real rarities, but I did have some of the more scarce ones.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 388 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 ... LastLast