Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30

Thread: Book Collection: peripheral

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very sorry to hear that you'll have to depart with it
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cheers guys, lettereds were always a cheeky stretch for me. We are in the middle of a smallish home renovation and I found myself saying, “Oh, that book could pay for those stacker doors. Or, that book could pay for that $3k Weber BBQ.” 😂😂 I’m still collecting, but just narrowing my focus to SLs and inscriptions 👍🏼

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Cheers guys, lettereds were always a cheeky stretch for me. We are in the middle of a smallish home renovation and I found myself saying, “Oh, that book could pay for those stacker doors. Or, that book could pay for that $3k Weber BBQ.” 😂😂 I’m still collecting, but just narrowing my focus to SLs and inscriptions 👍🏼
    Ooph I've also been falling prey to this not incorrect way of framing my book purchases. I recently opened a box and thought to myself "this book is 1/2 of the new washer/dryer set we want"

I'm never going to stop collecting books, but I am definitely now considering how much joy a book will bring me relative to how much joy an equally expensive home improvement might bring...

Also my kids might want to go to college, but that's far enough off that it doesn't feel real yet. Hell, the fact that I'm going to have teenagers running around the house someday doesn't feel real yet.

Anyway - nice book! Sorry you have to let it go but at least there are lots of nice other ones there to help keep you company

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry you’re having to sell, Antoni. Fully understand your reasons though.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post
    Ooph I've also been falling prey to this not incorrect way of framing my book purchases. I recently opened a box and thought to myself "this book is 1/2 of the new washer/dryer set we want"

I'm never going to stop collecting books, but I am definitely now considering how much joy a book will bring me relative to how much joy an equally expensive home improvement might bring...

Also my kids might want to go to college, but that's far enough off that it doesn't feel real yet. Hell, the fact that I'm going to have teenagers running around the house someday doesn't feel real yet.

Anyway - nice book! Sorry you have to let it go but at least there are lots of nice other ones there to help keep you company
    Spot on - 100%. I also find my collecting interests change. I'm always going to collect books. While I may not want to keep a Lettered (and would rather buy a Weber 6 burner), I would still spend just as much for a King first with a super cool unique inscription!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Start counting your money! I'm going to write a super cool inscription in one of my King books for you right now!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

Antoni, your comment that you would rather pay as much for a signed and inscribed 1st Edition resonates with me. I could not agree with you more. Still the heart of any collection, as far as my ideals go, is the signed 1st Edition. Lettereds and limiteds are beautiful things and naturally fall in place if your collection horizons encompass them, however for me, to find a wonderful condition signed 1st gives more satisfaction than simply waiting for the publisher to send through the letter or number that you are entitled to.
    Good luck with your progress.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Antoni, your comment that you would rather pay as much for a signed and inscribed 1st Edition resonates with me. I could not agree with you more. Still the heart of any collection, as far as my ideals go, is the signed 1st Edition. Lettereds and limiteds are beautiful things and naturally fall in place if your collection horizons encompass them, however for me, to find a wonderful condition signed 1st gives more satisfaction than simply waiting for the publisher to send through the letter or number that you are entitled to.
    Great topic, Antoni and Alec. Limited vs. the signed 1st:

Book Construction/production/art: no contest here. Advantage Limited

Odds of Legitimacy of signature: no contest here. LIMITED. Regardless of the opinions here I have yet to meet a handwriting expert. And outside of King it can be really tough.

The Hunt: edge to Signed 1st but most people that collect S/L are definately not "waiting for the publisher to send through the letter or number that you are entitled to". I wish. The hunt is definataly real for S/L (good price being the main factor)

History/story of the book: edge goes to 1st editions here due to age BUT does a 40 year old book in great condition have much of a history? I know Suntup is an exception but The History/story behind The Road Limited is probably better than the story behind many signed 1st

Rarity: Limited wins this one. Even a limitation of 3000 destroys print run of a 1st BUT obviously a great signed first can be more rare in some instances.

Will say this: An awesome inscription and signature from King as I watch him sign a 1st would be more valuable to me than any limited.

What did I leave out?

seeking: anything DT related #246
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

I only have a few signed and and one inscribed first edition. I have a Night Shift inscription in a lib version of Night Shift and it's so cool. Also, I have a flat singed Carrie. I also have an inscribed Authors copy of the S\L of DTII and an artist inscription with a re-marque as well in the S\L Green Mile. My S\L firestarter also has a small inscription and signed again by King. I would love to get a few more signed first ed as well. I think having a signed first is really neat to add to a collection. But I don't mind inscribed versions now eithier.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lotuz View Post

Thanks lotuz! Yes, that's so true. It's about getting the balance right between collecting goals, obligations and disposable income. Doing this home extension made me narrow my goals for now and surely the goals will move again in the future. I too have a couple of young kids (both in elementary school) and their future needs are going to make things a whole new ball game. And, all the while, I dream of retiring at around 60-years old (15 years away)...

Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post
    Sorry you’re having to sell, Antoni. Fully understand your reasons though.
    Cheers, Alan. I managed to sell it to another committed Australian collector who is a worthy custodian.

Thanks, Alec. Yes - I feel very fortunate to have been able to be the custodian of a lettered edition, albeit for a short while. It was something I never thought I'd be able to do. And while I've sold all of my PS Lettered collections, I have kept the Thinner Lettered edition - that was my first and remains my favourite - Les Edwards' artwork is some of my favourite in any King edition.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

Odds of Legitimacy of signature: no contest here. LIMITED. Regardless of the opinions here I have yet to meet a handwriting expert. And outside of King it can be really tough.

The Hunt: edge to Signed 1st but most people that collect S/L are definately not "waiting for the publisher to send through the letter or number that you are entitled to". I wish. The hunt is definataly real for S/L (good price being the main factor)

History/story of the book: edge goes to 1st editions here due to age BUT does a 40 year old book in great condition have much of a history? I know Suntup is an exception but The History/story behind The Road Limited is probably better than the story behind many signed 1st

Rarity: Limited wins this one. Even a limitation of 3000 destroys print run of a 1st BUT obviously a great signed first can be more rare in some instances.

Will say this: An awesome inscription and signature from King as I watch him sign a 1st would be more valuable to me than any limited.

What did I leave out?

Good analysis here... The only thing I would add: There is a "manufactured" rarity in the limited editions that doesn't quite match the organic rarity of the first edition (like a true antique, if that makes sense?).

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDuke View Post
    I only have a few signed and and one inscribed first edition. I have a Night Shift inscription in a lib version of Night Shift and it's so cool. Also, I have a flat singed Carrie. I also have an inscribed Authors copy of the S\L of DTII and an artist inscription with a re-marque as well in the S\L Green Mile. My S\L firestarter also has a small inscription and signed again by King. I would love to get a few more signed first ed as well. I think having a signed first is really neat to add to a collection. But I don't mind inscribed versions now eithier.
    Great collection here, Mike..! And hey - is your signature a reference to a W.A.S.P. song??

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post

What did I leave out?

Good analysis here... The only thing I would add: There is a "manufactured" rarity in the limited editions that doesn't quite match the organic rarity of the first edition (like a true antique, if that makes sense?).
    Aww. . . Great point. I guess that could fit into the History/Story of the book category nicely. I like that. One more advantage of a first!

ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30