Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: HF2008 Haven Foundation Charity Fund Raiser--a year of appreciation for Stephen King

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default HF2008 Haven Foundation Charity Fund Raiser--a year of appreciation for Stephen King

Sorry for yet another long post but this issue is near and dear to my heart.

This site will celebrate its one year anniversary on May 19th, 2008. We intend to celebrate that occasion in the only way that makes sense. We are going to raise as much money as possible for The Haven Foundation charity. The following is the welcome text on the sites home page.

100% of anything collected will be donated to The Haven Foundation. No admin fees, no transfers (I'll pay the paypal stuff)...every cent you give will go to this worth cause.

On May 19th, 2008, a check will be mailed on this sites name for the entire proceeds of the event.

Our Goal is $1000.00

From the desk of Stephen King:

In the summer of 1999, I was struck by a careless driver and nearly killed while taking my daily walk. It was ten months before I was able to work productively again. Some years later, a good friend of mine, audio reader Frank Muller, suffered terrible head injuries as a result of a motorcycle accident. He will never work again. My luck was infinitely better than Muller’s, but the two events set me thinking about the uniquely perilous situation of many freelance artists. The majority of mid-list writers, audio readers, and freelancers in the book and publishing industry have little or no financial cushion in the event of a sudden catastrophic accident such as that suffered by Muller and myself. Many aren’t affiliated with any professional associations or guilds that can help them in the event of such reversals. Even those who are affiliated with organizations such as The Authors’ Guild cannot look for much beyond token help over a short period of time.

My response to this has been the creation of The Haven Foundation. Its goals will be fourfold:

First, to establish a compassionate and committed group of board members willing to sift through cases and identify those where the need seems to be the greatest. These “greatest need” cases would be freelance artists—writers, readers, and those in the associated publishing industry—who have found themselves unable to work due to disease or accident. We will also be focusing on freelancers associated with the book and publishing industry who lost their homes and work spaces (with freelancers these are often the same) as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

Second, to help a number of these individuals each year, based on need.

Third, to establish cut-off points for such help. As I have discovered, the decision to cut off aid is an agonizing one, and best made by a group rather than by an individual. I have come to believe, however, that it must be made if help is to be rendered to the many rather than the few.

Fourth, to seek fundraising opportunities so that The Haven Foundation can continue to do this work.

Stephen King
    June 7, 2006
    I am personally an avid fan of audio books, I listen to them every day on my commute to work. Not only does a book in audio format bring a different perspective (Sissy Spacek reading Scout Finch in "To Kill a Mockingbird, no way I could get that feel on my own), but it also a form of story telling that has been around since the dawn of time. The oral rendition of a tale by someone who knows how to make it good. For eons our ancestors have sat around and listened to that very thing. So I am very much into making this sites donation to the cause worthwhile. With that being said, any amount we can raise will help.

So here is what you can do:

You can flat donate.
    • I have set up a page on this site to accept them through paypal
    • TheDarkTower.com Paypal Donation Page
      • there will also be a link to that page on our Home page, anyone can use it
    • This money will be transfered to the fund from there, I will pay for the fees.
    • You can send any check, cash or money order that you can spare to
    Matt Rayne
    Charity Funds Drive
    51 Pinetree Place
    Parachute, CO 81635
    Please send anything you can, it doesn't matter if its a nickel, any little bit will help.

You can buy stuff from our Store:
    • All profits from any merchandise in the store will go to this cause.
    • CafePress operates on a "mark up" system. They charge a certain price, the seller marks up for a set amount
      • The maximum markup in our store is $5.00--each purchase in the store nets only the mark up from the sale.
      • If you buy a shirt (for instance), you will be donating $5.00 to the fund raiser. Lesser items have a lesser mark up.
    You can wait for the big, secret event coming up

How do I know how we are doing?

I am installing a donation progress bar on the site that will keep track of our progress towards the $1000.00 goal. Is very unobtrusive and will be at the top of the forum until the fund raising drive is over.

I will also keep track of individual donations on a spread sheet

Please use this thread for any questions you have but above all, please send me your loose change, or whatever you have for this amazing cause.

Thank you
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Great idea, Matt!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, fantastic idea!!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks you guys, I am really hoping everyone will be able to donate just a bit.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Great idea, great cause.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

We got another dollar!

Thank you so much, any bit really helps

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I have now added a donation progress bar to the forum home page, this will remain until May 19th

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Holy Shit you guys!!

We just had a 100.00 donation to the cause. Thank you so much--you know who you are.

Gunslinger Apprentice Jorge will become famous soon enough Jorge will become famous soon enough Jorge's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheeky
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow. I really have a feeling that we're going to waaaay surpass our goal by the end of this thing. I'll probably support the cause by buying a few items of dt.com apparel when my next paycheck comes in. Woohoo, I'm stimulating the economy!!!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I really do hope we exceed it. It will feel so good to actually do something to help other people in this sites name.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Another 100 dollar donation!!!

I just pissed myself!! This is amazing

Please everyone--just give some if you can.

For the members that are really turning their pockets out, thank you so much.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm starting to think you set your sights too low, Matty.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great idea, Matt!! I think I just paypal'd a few bucks from BedOfRoses and I.

I hope you got it!!!

Bill

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I did indeed Sir, thank you very much.

I also got another 20.00 donation--you know who you are, I really appreciate it.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry for the double post.

It has been decided that donations to this charity (using the donation link in the first post) will pay beam bucks 50 to 1

So if you donate a buck, you get 50 beam bucks.

Also, I would like to send around a card for everyone who donated (reguardless of method) to the cause to sign--it will be included with the check.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I love that idea!!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Great idea

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It was Jeromes, he is totally full of them.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that would be cool!

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great work Matt!

PS: ill buy a bunch of shit as soon as this wedding is over
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Paypal donation submitted just a sec ago - hope you got it! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Paypal donation submitted just a sec ago - hope you got it! :-)
    I did sir!

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The donation bar has been updated!!

Almost 30% of the goal already achieved, thank you guys so much

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast