Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Colorado Kid **spoilers**

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: The Colorado Kid **spoilers**

It'd usually only take me a day to read a book of this size, but I started this one a couple of weeks ago and only just finished today.

Why? Well, I could say I've been too busy, but to be honest if I'm really into a book I make time to read no matter what.
    There's nothing wrong with the writing, or the characters and I enjoyed the idea of the story - but I wonder if the fact that King says right from the start, "this isn't really a story in that it doesn't have an end" in other words "unsolved mystery", I wonder if that disengaged my interest on some level?

Regardless of this, I still spent a very pleasant hour finishing the book (ok, so I read it in the pub with a nice cold pint and a side order of home fries) but it didn't grab me...what did you think?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It was fair to me. As you said, starting out knowing it goes nowhere deflated me. I thought that the guy was a "walk in", but that is very unclear.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Another thing I wondered was, if King was sort of subconciously defending his ambiguous ending of DT, by making a statement on narrative versus traditional start, middle, end form?

How do the timelines correlate, The Colorado Kid was written 2005, what was DT7 again?

Traveler albert_sy2 is on a distinguished road

no real ending... i didn't like it

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

As far as reading the book went I did enjoy it, even the ending. But I picked up the audio book on sale for under $10 and gave it a listen. I absolutely loved how the guy did the Maine accents and it really made this an even enjoyable book. To me I think listening to this book was better than reading it, so if you can pick that up give it a listen. You might have a different outlook on it.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I was iffy on it at first, but by the end I liked it. And I usually hate ambiguous endings.

It was a departure from "normal" King, so I had low expectations going in, but his characters were good and I loved all the Colorado references, so there you go.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the book from start to finish.There is one thing i noticed which i have not seen covered here and that is the books front cover.Now when i was in the book store the book was sold with 2 different covers,mine is the one with the colorado kid on the beach with his back to the waste basket.
    If you read page 47 he is said to have one hand in his lap and the other-the right one- lying in the sand.This does not tally with the books cover,is this just a printing error or done to get us thinking of another DT link in some way.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    As far as reading the book went I did enjoy it, even the ending. But I picked up the audio book on sale for under $10 and gave it a listen. I absolutely loved how the guy did the Maine accents and it really made this an even enjoyable book. To me I think listening to this book was better than reading it, so if you can pick that up give it a listen. You might have a different outlook on it.
    I actually first attempted this book via audio and couldn't finish it. The Maine accents were a predominant factor in that, but the story was also doing very little for me. Later I tried to read it in actual book form. While I was able to finish it, I still didn't care for it very much. To me, it just never really went anywhere.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice sig!

Yeah, I kinda liked the general gist of the story, but was disappointed...it should have been a couple of chapters in a book rather than a stand alone story.

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    I actually first attempted this book via audio and couldn't finish it. The Maine accents were a predominant factor in that, but the story was also doing very little for me. Later I tried to read it in actual book form. While I was able to finish it, I still didn't care for it very much. To me, it just never really went anywhere.
    I was the direct opposite. The first time I picked up the book I put it down, then later went back to read it fully. When I read it from start to finish I enjoyed it, but when I listened to the audio the whole book came to life for me.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Yeah, I kinda liked the general gist of the story, but was disappointed...it should have been a couple of chapters in a book rather than a stand alone story.
    Very well said. I am going to borrow this when I finally get around to discussing Lisey's Story.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Ooohh!! I'm excited to hear that you'll be discussing Lisey's Story!

Or are you going to upset me?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crazy cat lady ksmithcats is on a distinguished road ksmithcats's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked it....a weird, nifty little tale.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just started yesterday, and I think I'll post how I feel about it when I'm done.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Having just finished the Dark Tower series, King announced that he was retiring. Therefore, I was quite surprised to see his name suddenly turn up in the new books section, after all. I bought The Colorado Kid on the spot, and now you know that there was no chance, anyway, that I'd be lackadaisical about reading it.

I do think that it was a commentary by King on his own writing process, partly about DT, in consideration of options regarding future work. I love it.

As for whether it should have been published as a book in its own right or not, I don't think it's too important. It wasn't very expensive. I love having the volume in my collection.

The basic message is one that is quite pertinent for many modern readers, IMHO.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved this one. The fact that it has no ending (that the author points out anyway) is one of the draws of it. He spins a great yarn about a mystery, then lets you decide where it leads.

Even in a few pages Stephen manages to make me hate putting the book down at the end because I have already grown fond of the characters and just don't want to leave them behind.

While this one might not hit my top 10 list (that list is just too hard to pick out half the time) it is far from my bottom 10.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I disliked this book so much I can't remember a thing about it. I would put it right on a par with LISEY'S STORY, which, unfortunately, I can remember parts of. I think it was the setting and the way the characters talked that really upset me, but I don't remember! Anyway, it's one of the few King books I didn't like. Can't win 'em all!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really enjoyed this one. I found the story to be compelling, and it was a fast read for me. Moreover, my wife read it. She doesn't read much King, but she loves mysteries. She read this story during one chemo session and really did enjoy it.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Gunslinger Apprentice pinkymcfatfat is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

"The Colorado Kid" was in part inspired by an Australian case in the 1940's of a dead body found with a snipet of an unknown code.

If you're interested, look up the 'Taman Shud Case'.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Having just finished this book, I can see why people either love it or hate it. It's an interesting story even if the true heart of the mystery is never revealed. I think going into it knowing that the book lacks an answer gave me a better appreciation for what Stephen wanted to say.

I do have some theories as to why the Colorado Kid ended up dead on the beach. Does anyone else?

I think that he could have been a walk in, but not from another world. It would make sense if he just happened to come across a door that jumped from Colorado to Maine. I think the chocking was just a coincidence, and I don't know how to explain the Russian coin. I guess he must have gone on his own little journey with the doors. I don't really feel letdown that I'll never know what happened. It was still a strong story, and I really enjoyed the characters.

Anyway... -mixed emotions with this book

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    ...It would make sense if he just happened to come across a door that jumped from Colorado to Maine. ...
    Does a door like that make sense to you? I guess it's all about perspective.

Traveler Xanthus is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Its funny, I also thought he could be a walkin or something. I read it thru hoping that there would be "easter eggs" for other SK work especially tDT series

Gunslinger Apprentice pinkymcfatfat is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I have a couple of theories, and just re-read the book to double check.

1. This is NOT 'Earth Prime'. The dates of the existance of 'Starbucks' in Denver is incorrect and 'Blockbuster' was yet to exist. I've checked and confirmed this. As to what Earth it is, I have no idea.

2. I do believe that the 'Kid' was taken on a private jet (although I don't entirely discount the theories that he somehow went todash or was taken through a door). Who do I believe chartered this jet? Low Men in Yellow Coats, possibly working for Sombra.

3. The 'Kid' was an artist. I think this is somehow vital to why he was taken, and also why he was killed. Could be have been working on the side for Sombra? He did work almost exclusively at home, so his work could not have easily been tracked.

4. Was the 'Kid' possibly a 'Breaker'? We all know Dinky Earnshaw traded his talents for a crappy house in Ohio and a mere $70 a week. Did the 'Kid' trade his talent for his little house in the mountains?

5. The 'Kid' evidently knew once he was taken, he would NOT be coming home again under any circumstances. He also knew that he would not have any identification on his body when it would be discovered. Hence the pack of cigs and why I think Low Men were involved.

6. As for the Russian coin, I think he might have found it on the private jet and pocketed it.

7. He tried to be seen by local folks at two different points. Once at the restaurant,, and more importantly on the Ferry, going so far as to mention that this trip was 'a long time coming'. That's a pretty strange thing to say to someone and something apt to be remembered. Particularly when you know you're going to be dead soon.

This is all just conjecture on my part, but what in the world was he needed for in Maine? Was he needed to make one last very important drawing?

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As soon as they started talking about the closeness of the timing of his journey from Colorado to Maine I thought of the short story Mrs. Todd's Shrotcut. Something like this can easily explain how he got so far so fast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast