Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Dreamcatcher *Spoilers*

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I fully agree with you on The Godfather. I've never been so disappointed in a book than that one.

I do have to disagree with you on Dolores Claiborne, though. I was really disappointed in the movie. I especially loved the audio version of the book (which differed slightly from the print version). Francis Sternhagen WAS Dolores!

John

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

There are always exceptions to every rule but the majority of the time the phrase "the book was better" holds true. There have been more than a few times where the book has been bad and the movie was worse. It's all a matter of opinion though.

Personally, I've noticed that I tend to like whatever medium I was exposed to first. For example, Stand By Me and The Body. I saw the movie first and then eventually read the book years later. The book was good, but I like the movie better.

I to do the same thing with song covers. If I hear a song being covered by another singer/band first, I tend to like it more than the original.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Typically I would say that the book is better than the movie, but there are always exceptions. I especially agree about Carrie. Wasn't a huge fan of the book, but the original movie was fantastic.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

fair enough everyone has their own taste, i just get tired of people saying oh the book is better cause the book like i said isn't always better. sometimes the film is. and sometimes the tv show is, i love the dead zone series and no i'm not going to say it's better than the novel don't worry. but it was i think better than the film which is a great film i think. i'm further along in dreamcatcher and i've got like i think 190 pages left in it now?i think ?anyways and one thing i was curious when i was watching it the film the other day

was the scene when Henry gets a Call from Jonesy on Owen's Gun i had really forgot about that in the film. and i honestly thought that was made up for the film but no it's not that's in the book. honestly there's stuff in the book that i can see why it was left out. for example Jonesy making the diversion so he can escape. yeah i would have loved to see that going on but it really wasn't needed. and them cutting back on some of the army stuff isn't a big deal to me anyways. yes some of it so far i think should have been put in but i don't think it all needs to be. in short the flm so far hasn't really taken anything out that's really pissed me off unlike other stephen King adaptations. when i see a movie based off a book by say Stephen King for example i try not to say right away oh it's going to suck ass.

i try and be open minded and give it the benefit of the doubt. i think the problem arises with all of us here who i think are guilty of it when it's a book we really enjoyed. was we have too high expectations and we expect the book and that rarely happens. them changing Kurtz to Curtis was really fucking stupid though, not wanting to confuse an audience? we all know where the Name Kurtz Came from hell even King i believe has said where he got it from. than why not change the name of the Virus if you want to call it that? from a Ripley to i dunno a Phantasm to through just a random name out there. yes the one i picked would have been a stupid name but did that confuse an audience hell no.
    i think when it comes to some books like Dreamcatcher for example yeah we all want it to be closer to the book.

but than it isn't a book like say Harry potter where there's just soo much Information that NEEDS to be in it. such as well "IT" for example. For Harry Potter i love those films for what they are. but they need to put out more deleted scenes and make extended cuts of the films that are longer than the ones we got. for example there's plenty of Stills i've seen for Order of the Phoenix from scenes that were Never Shot we need all those in a extended version.

sorry for going off topic i use that series as an example on how much info that series needed to have in the films but most of them left out a great deal of important shit. there certain SK books that have information that needed to be in the films
    and than there's some that if it's done by the right people and depending on what they do put in. sometimes it can be better. Christine is a great book and i really love the film. i read the other day about the new guy working on the DT movie and a reply from some dude was i'm still waiting for Christine to be done right. the movie we got was utter shit. no it wasn't. there was certain shit i'd love to have seen in the film. but it followed the book i think pretty well actually. oh and sorry for my long rambling too

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

You make some very valid points. I may not agree completely, but I see where you're coming from.

(And I agree with the Harry Potter films--they're good in their own way--but I like the books much more, mainly because of the wealth of detail.

John

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

If I'm being completely honest, I didn't like the Dreamcatcher book and thought the movie was worse. Same with The Dead Zone.

Flame away.8)
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Dreamcatcher is one of the books I never could get through. I got over halfway and just said "f*ck this" and never looked back. ( I read in an interview that King himself said that his writing was different with that book because he was on all the pain meds following his accident. I think he said something like "there's a good book in there somewhere". I remember thinking "If King himself doesn't even think this is a good book, why am I trying to force myself through it?" )

And I also didn't like the Dreamcatcher movie at all.

I never saw the Dead Zone movie (I thought the television series was alright ), but the book is one of my favorites.

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

this isn't my 1st time trying to read it to be honest but so far i'm enjoying more than i thought i would. the only part that really nearly lost me was at the start of part 2 of it you read about Kurtz for the 1st time and that chapter is boring as fuck.

it slowly got better don't get me wrong, but you go from reading about Henry, Jonesy, Pete & Beaver, to Kurtz and if he was in part 1 ok than i don't think it would be so bad but after that chapter, i think that chapter honestly COULD have been shortened a LOT! i forget how many pages it was but it felt a LOT longer than it actually was. i'm nearly done with the book now i have i think 130 pages left of it? and i plan on finishing it my guess not to night but either 2 morrow nite or Saturday if i'm lucky. as for the Dead Zone film, my only real complaints that i can think of from the top of my head was they left out Johnny's Father who was a HUGE part of his life in the book if my memory is is not mistaken. and than there's Christopher Walken who i love as an actor, but let's face it he was badly miscast in the role. he wasn't terrible in it but he was miscast. Martin Sheen though was fantastic i think in it. and i always did hate the end of the book to be honest.

as for flaming he he naw i'm not going to do that cause if you don't like the book or the film that's fine it's not a big deal. i'm not saying it's hist best book cause we all know it's not but it most certainly is NOT his work book in it.

there's a line in it where Pearly is Farting like mad he's got a shit weasel up his ass ready to come out pretty much. and Freddy Johnson goes would you please quit with the fucking Anal Perfume? that's a great line.

another great line is Henry at some point just walking and talking to himself saying this to himself, and so let me close, ladies and gentlemen of them American Psychiatric Association, by quoting the late Joseph "Beaver' Claredon'

"Said Fuck it and put a dime in the salvation army bucket/ and if you don't like it, grab my cock and suck it. thank you very much.

those so far are my 2 favorite quotes in the book. THOSE should have been in the film!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well i finished the book late last nite and honestly i loved it. i also just got done watching the film. and i've always liked the film. but after reading the book, there was stuff they of course didn't need to cut out. some of the army stuff got cut and i'm fine with that. them leaving out Kurtz and Freddy and... chasing after them yeah i would have liked to see that. but my guess is they just wanted a big showdown at the end. them having Owen's Gun having a tracking device i didn't like at all.
    but they prolly did that cause if you think about it, if they cut them chasing them out of the film. and they ignore the Telapthy uh sorry about my shitty spelling,

which yeah was a big part i admit. though i wish they would have kept the original ending for the film. or rather the way the book ended. making Duddits an Alien though really wasn't needed but if you've read the book and you wonder if the guy is human at all. yeah i know he's got down syndrome but with the powers he's got that's not something that a normal human being would have. well my guess is that's what they were thinking when they wrote the script.

the alien fight at the very end really wasn't needed. but than they were prolly thinking that's what the public would have wanted. regardless if you've read the book or not. i think it was more faithful than what people say it ended up being.

but i'm not going to deny that some of the changes they made wasn't needed at all. the way Pete got Killed i thought looked cool but i also at the same time wondered why they left out him getting infected with the byrus or Owen. Henry, and anyone else for that matter who was part of the story. honestly think it's more faithful to the book than some of the other king adaptations that have been made through the years.

such as Kubrick's The Shining for example. which is a film i just love to death. but it's so far away from King's book that it's NOT even funny. and yes there's plenty others i just can't think of at the top of my head. in short i prolly will end up reading this one again at some point. oh another scene in the film with them having made the dreamcatcher as kids instead of having it just be Beaver's Dad. that i didn't mind for one.

another in short, it's not a film i think is bad at all compared to other King films. i'd rather watch it over that last Children of the corn film that remake which was so fucking bad i could not even watch the whole thing. as for dreamcatcher,

the film doesn't piss me off keeping shit out of the book like other films of his has done in the past.

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

does anyone have a scan of the promo booklet seen here?

(taken from Lilja's website)

http://i.imgur.com/MgsITeP.jpg

Gunslinger Apprentice cowboy_ed will become famous soon enough cowboy_ed's Avatar

Anyone?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i lent this book to a friend right after i read and she also liked it. my other opinion which everyone here i think will agree on is if you don't like the source material at all you won't like the film most likely. i love the book and the film my only HUGE complaint was them killing Beaver as he is the best character in the whole book.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think the film dropped the ball on Mr. Gray. He's probably one of my favorite SK villains and the bits where he goes nuts for BACON were some of the best parts of the book. Instead we lost that and got that ridiculous British accent. Also the ending with Duddits was a complete mess but apparently that was King's suggestion.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I really enjoyed the book, but the movie was a mess. They turned it into a very campy horror film. Also not sure why the book gets so much hate.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

me either, people which i think is VERY funny blame it on King being on drugs and i'm not denying that he wasn't. but they also forget that he was a coke addict for years and is an alcoholic as well even if he is thankfully sober now.
    so from a guy who still does NOT remember writing Cujo. yet given his state of mind when he wrote that one, is considered to be one of his best books. there's king books i thought were awful shit i think Carrie is an awful book and the original film from the 70's far far surpasses the actual novel it's based on but there is no doubt people out there that disagree with me and that's fine. Dream Catcher is one of his books that regardless who made it or if it's ever remade and i'm sure it will be. it's a really hard book to put to screen well cause on how fucked uP it is. they did get a lot of things right with the film and yes some of the stuff they should have kept in.

the bacon part i forgot about and yes i agree they SHOULD have kept that in. from the king books i've read like Rose Madder that's gonna be a really hard one to put to screen regardless who the fuck writes it and makes it. than you have one like Green Mile which can be done really well cause it's a film that can be put to screen really easy. From a Buick 8 also is another one that will have a hard time as well being translated to screen no matter who ever makes it. and of course everyone here is prolly agreed that the dark tower is a hard one as well.

that's how i look at it. Dreamcatcher is a film that's a Big Budgeted B film that's all it is, and to a certain degree so is the book now i dunno if it's in my top 10 favorite books of his cause i haven't read them all yet. but it's in my top 20 at least,

i'd say starting with Insomina which is a book i love and sorry for the shit spelling by the way. that's the one i can think of where his writing style changed and so there's a LOT of books that came out since than that i think can be pretty hard to translate to screen. some of them work well and some don't but what are ya gonna do? maybe King liked his idea better i dunno, or the original ending it was badly written or whatever while still in the writing stages. either way other than one chapter that was way overlong which is like i said previously the 1st chapter with Kurtz i really loved this book and it's really a pity that so many people including King hate it. than they love the girl who loved Tom gordon which is a book that i find boring as fuck and it's a book that nothing happens and people love it. go figure but to each their own as well

one day i just may re-read all his books in order but than the thing with that is than i will have to read the bad ones again and the girl who loved tom gordon for me is a really hard read cause on how bad and boring it is. i think i read that once since it came out and that was enough for me. also King may give a lot of shitty endings but at least he doesn't do that with every book he does thank god and this was one of them that had a pretty good ending actually. from a buick 8 also is one that had a good ending. sadly he doesn't do it enough

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Losers Club podcast for the novel:

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-lo...cher-201727237

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4