Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The Great Music Tournament: Overall Event Overview

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I must say that I am grateful for all your work, pablo, on this tournament as well as other tournaments. I am also grateful for so many other members on this site!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Pablo is the man! This tournament has reinvigorated my love for music and exposed me to some great songs. You cannot put a price tag on something like that so all I can say is THANK YOU!
    hear, hear!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thank you, Jean and everyone! Today the Semifinals are finally underway. There will be four polls a day each day from Monday till Tuesday. The winners in each era's two semifinals will then meet in that time period's Final, and the winner of that will represent its era during the Tournament Final, our ultimate stage.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Out first two Finals are set!

In the 1945-1949 era, the finalists are Vaughn Monroe - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! (1945) and Vaughn Monroe - Riders in the Sky (A Cowboy Legend) (1949). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #5 and #10 seeds respectively.

In the 1950-1954 era, the finalists are Nat King Cole - Unforgettable (1952) and The Chordettes - Mr. Sandman (1954). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #4 and #3 seeds respectively.

Country
    Country Flag

The next two Finals are also set:

In the 1955-1959 era, the finalists are Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode (1958) and Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire (1957). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #1 and #2 seeds respectively.

In the 1960-1964 era, the finalists are Ben E. King - Stand By Me (1961) and Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (1964). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #5 and #6 seeds respectively.

Country
    Country Flag

The next two Finals are set:

In the 1965-1969 era, the finalists are The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (1966) and Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising (1969). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #4 and #3 seeds respectively.

In the 1970-1974 era, the finalists are Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama (1974) and Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #1 and #6 seeds respectively.

Country
    Country Flag

In the 1975-1979 era, the finalists are Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (1975) and Eagles - Hotel California (1976). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #1 and #2 seeds respectively.

In the 1980-1984 era, the finalists are Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982) and Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight (1981). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #9 and #2 seeds respectively.

Country
    Country Flag

In the 1985-1989 era, the finalists are Guns N' Roses - Welcome to the Jungle (1987) and Tom Petty - Free Fallin' (1989). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #4 and #2 seeds respectively.

In the 1990-1994 era, the finalists are Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge (1991) and Metallica - Enter Sandman (1991). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #1 and #3 seeds respectively.

This is the first time we have a final between songs from the same year (1991). That was an amazing year in music, so it's only right.

Country
    Country Flag

In the 1995-1999 era, the finalists are No Doubt - Don't Speak (1995) and Seal - Kiss From a Rose (1995). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #5 and #10 seeds respectively.

In the 2000-2004 era, the finalists are Johnny Cash - Hurt (2002) and Michael Andrews feat. Gary Jules - Mad World (2002). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #5 and #23 (next to last) seeds respectively.

Amazingly, after nine time period each with a different year represented in their finals, the last three eras are all finalists from the same year (1991, 1995, 2002).

Country
    Country Flag

The last two Finals are set:

In the 2005-2009 era, the finalists are Red Hot Chili Peppers - Dani California (2006) and Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (2006). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #1 and #3 seeds respectively.

In the 2010-2014 era, the finalists are Adele - Set Fire to the Rain (2011) and Hozier - Take Me to Church (2013). Going into the playoffs, these two were the #13 and #19 seeds respectively.

This makes it four time period Finals in a row with one year represented (1991, 1995, 2002, and 2006), and the Red Hot Chili Peppers are the only artist represented in two different eras (1990-1994 and 2005-2009), while Vaughn Monroe is represented twice in the same time period (1945-1949).

By the way, I just checked, and none of the finalists ever had to go through a tiebreaker. I thought that was neat. There were a lot of them.

Country
    Country Flag

So, this means our fourteen Finals are all set and will commence on Monday and Tuesday. On Monday, December 19, the first seven Finals will go up, from 1945-1949 to 1975-1979. Then the next day, the remaining seven will go up, from 1980-1984 to 2010-2014.

Each poll will run for twelve days, as opposed to the usual seven. This is due to the holiday season and because these are the most important polls, since we'll be choosing the best track to represent a specific era in music. Polls will close on December 31 and January 1, with the Tournament Final commencing on Monday, January 2.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Looking at the songs that are left, I know I'll have to choose one over the other in each time period. But for the most part, I won't be upset if the one I choose doesn't move on. They are all pretty good. There are only 2 or 3 songs left that I would rather not see move on.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

And so the last of the Finals polls have been posted. Our tremendously long event is coming to a swift close. Up to now we've had 988 polls in this tournament overall. With the thirteen Tournament Finals polls that will close this out in January, we will go through exactly 1,001 polls. Pretty cool. The ultimate winner of this event will be decided by that 1,001st poll.

I cannot thank everyone enough, all who participated throughout the nominating, the seconding, and voting processes, and everyone else that put up with us crazies. A special thanks to RF for allowing this insanity in the first place and setting up this sandbox here so we may play in it.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes... thank you RF.

and Bill for putting up with us. LOL
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

one thousand and one polls... pablo, bears are speechless...

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Pablo is the man! I would have lost my tiny mind a long time ago trying to put something like this together.

Country
    Country Flag

have you ever tried? I only wetted my toes a little in something similar a couple of times (King annual event, then the Best Novel of All Times), and overstrained myself to such an extent that it cost me two years' absence from here due to health issues, LOL

Country
    Country Flag

OCD. It's a disease.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I'm still in denial over House of the Rising Sun being out of the tournament.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    At least it went down fighting too a great tune!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Sheb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    At least it went down fighting too a great tune!
    I know. I know. I'm just still in shock over it.

Weedeater ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai has a brilliant future ladysai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Yes... thank you RF.

and Bill for putting up with us. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    one thousand and one polls... pablo, bears are speechless...
    Hear hear!

Thanks to all for a fun tournament!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    have you ever tried? I only wetted my toes a little in something similar a couple of times (King annual event, then the Best Novel of All Times), and overstrained myself to such an extent that it cost me two years' absence from here due to health issues, LOL
    I MUST say... NOT worth your absence or poor health. You were sorely missed.

Country
    Country Flag

bears won't be missed from now on!! see, they have already started polluting the boards just like in good old times!

what is missed, however, is Deep Purple or the Doors in the finals

I can't wrap my head around this incredible fact

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes...I am stunned to silence. Hush

Country
    Country Flag

With the first half of the time period finals closing, the winners are currently ranked thus, going into the Tournament Finals:
    1. Simon and Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence (1964) 75.82%
    2. Jerry Lee Lewis - Great Balls of Fire (1957) 75.60%
    3. Eagles - Hotel California (1976) 74.54%
    4. Vaughn Monroe - Riders in the Sky (A Cowboy Legend) (1949) 71.21%
    5. The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (1966) 66.28%
    6. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971) 65.45%
    7. Nat King Cole - Unforgettable (1952) 64.29%

The percentages are average vote percentages received throughout the tournament. Once tomorrow's second half closes, the winners will be seeded according to this bracket system and the ultimate showdown will begin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast