Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King End of Watch Book Tour Dates

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    How early should I arrive for Tulsa tomorrow? Doors at 6

Depends on what your goal is! Front row you have to arrive around 9 am. everyone is going to get in, depends on if you want to wait around. Tippy came in the theatre late and still got good seats. Bringing 4 people get there earlier if you want to sit together.

750 people in Iowa, line really started to form around 4 pm

Did you go to witchita revival? I was number 200 at 12pm waiting in the freezing cold.
    Just me standing room only. I will probably not go too early. I was at Wichita. Don't know what number but was probably within 50 of you. It was very cold. Fortunately, we parked 5 feet from our spot in line.

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    I enjoyed King's story of a "boogie man" in your house or car. Great stuff!
    Yes, that was great. It was my daughter's favorite part

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

17 sold on ebay, nine for sale = 26.

3,200 books signed as of right now = 0.8%
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Still no videos of any entire event? :-(
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I love signed books as much as anyone, but given my temperament and now position as Caretaker of Betts Books, I have always resisted being what I term a "stalker" (I know I'm going to get shit from some people for this). King has a life, try to respect that.

Please note the following excerpt from Rolling Stone which is to my point:

The worst part of the job … this is weird, but I'm going to probably go see the Red Sox play this weekend. These autograph people always show up in front of the hotel and I can't go out and get a sandwich. I can't go out to a movie without brushing these people off. It makes you feel like you’re on stage, when you don't want to be on stage.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with you, David. It wouldn't be in my nature either. I met Stephen King once (for about 10 seconds) - at an official, organised event - and it's probably the only time I will ever meet him. I'm happy enough with that.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

100% David... although I would dream of a chance to get my 1st IT or Slinger signed in front of him... I could never do it to him either. The worst part is some people that do it JUST for money and re-sale and not the love of it throwing them up on Ebay... makes it worse too as he hates seeing that happen. I am sure as he ages he gets more and more sick of this aspect of the life he leads. That man deserves respect... no question.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I've never been a huge fan of the whole grab-and-sign autograph seekers where they're trying to get him coming/going on a street going into a TV or whatever...

I DO think it's okay to try at an organized event, like Bridgton where a few people hung around cuz maybe he'd sign a few extras. But random encounters skeeve me out unless for some reason he were to initiate it.

Particularly after that Voice singer got shot in Florida, these people already live their lives keyed up all the time, and then somebody shoves a book in their face it would just add to the stress.

Not judging, but I'm judging.

Citizen of Gilead RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX is just really nice RichardX's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a bit torn on this one. There are no doubt some creepy and pushy autograph seekers. I can see how that is a royal pain. On the other hand King has a net worth of something like $400 million from promoting and selling his books. You get attention and autograph seekers in that line of work. His real beef seems to be the possibility of folks reselling signed books for profit. He doesn't seem to care for other folks making a profit which he apparently views as greed. Although he is ok with doing that himself. Particularly ironic given the prices of some the anniversary editions and signed copies. It is his liberal colors showing. He is a bit of a snarky hypocrite sometimes. Anyone notice in Nashville that he used the word "sissy" after lecturing us on the bathroom laws? A bit of a PC slip.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

If I happened to see King in public, the context would determine whether or not I would approach him. If I saw him in a bookstore, I would absolutely ask for him to sign something. I certainly wouldn't be aggressive or offending in any way. If I felt the moment appropriate, I would ask him politely to sign and acquiesce to his wish.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

i have been debating whether or not to bring a King and a Martin book with me to Albuquerque on the unlikely chance that I would run into either author outside the venue to ask for an autograph. I'm definitely not the type to stalk celebrities and be pushy about it so I will probably just leave the books at home. I am pessimistic about my chances of receiving a signed copy of End Of Watch at the venue. Over 2000 tickets sold and only 400 signed books. Still I am really looking forward to seeing and listening to King and Martin onstage.

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I am going to bring a book tomorrow. I have to pick up my tickets at the bookstore and I figure it's worth the shot that I catch him coming in or leaving after signing all of the books. I won't be waiting outside for him but just on the small chance that I do catch him. I just want to be prepared. I won't be sticking around the entrance/exit of the auditorium though.

I'm going to see GRRM in a few months at a con so I am not going to bring any of his books. Plus it sounds like there will be some autographed Martin books available at the event first come first serve.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I have my tickets in hand already. What time do you plan to go to the bookstore? Also, what time are you planning to get in line at the auditorium? Doors open at 6PM, I think.

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm planning on being at the bookstore around 1pm. According to the website they are going to let people start lining up at 5pm and they are going to allow seating at 5:30pm. They will have a booth that will be selling King and Martin books and some of the Martin books will be signed. That booth also opens at 5pm. I'm assuming people will start lining up to much earlier than that because of the size of the event and because it's not assigned seating. I was thinking I might just head over there at 2:30 pm. I'll just plop down in line and listen to an audiobook and the wife will watch movies on the kindle. I'm not that concerned with getting a front row seat, I just like to sit on the aisle.

They updated the info since I last checked three or four days ago. Doors were to open at 6 and are now opening at 5:30. I'm glad you posted the new times. Still not sure when I will get in to ABQ. I'm getting excited though!

Gunslinger Apprentice redsoxfan565 is on a distinguished road

I can see the argument from both sides, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Yes King is entitled to his space, but the man is a celebrity, whether he likes it or not, so he is going to be asked for his autograph when he goes to public events, whether that be outside of a book promotion event, TV Show, Red Sox game, etc.

He has not done many signings over the course of the last few years where you could get an outside book signed. The Red Sox games were always a good place to catch him, up until a few years ago. There would only be 3 of us going for his signature, and he would almost always sign. Now with the rise of eBay, more and more casual autograph sellers have been going for Stephen King, and he has primarily stopped signing in Boston because of the amount of people trying. Heck, I haven't gone for him in 3 years at Fenway.

And I still question those people who think King hates eBay'ers. That simply is not true. He doesn't like the people who lie to him, which goes back to that RS article about someone claiming the signature was for a relative or something like that. However, he signed for everyone at CBS 2 weeks ago, and it was all for re-sellers, and he clearly knew that.

Either way, whether you like people who re-sell his autograph, or hate those of us who do it, we provide a much needed service where 95% of collectors or fans just don't have the opportunity, time, or money to be able to meet King and get a book signed.

As an aside, George RR Martin and King on stage together would be a great event. Both are extremely funny and those going to the event I'm sure will have a good time.

Aron, the Bookworks webpage says tickets cannot be picked up at the bookstore on Thursday. Only at will call at the auditorium. You might want to check on that for yourself in case I am misreading it.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Cleared that up with them Bob. They are holding my tickets for me at the bookstore. Thanks for the thinking of me

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by redsoxfan565 View Post
    Yes King is entitled to his space, but the man is a celebrity, whether he likes it or not, so he is going to be asked for his autograph when he goes to public events, whether that be outside of a book promotion event, TV Show, Red Sox game, etc.
    He's not a monkey in a zoo. I know what you're saying, but the whole "whether he likes it or not" phrasing is entitled bullshit. No sugarcoating, sorry, that's just what it is. Don't wrap it up any other way - you are pushing yourself on another person because you've decided his celebrity gives you that right. I mean, be honest about it.

Heck, I haven't gone for him in 3 years at Fenway.
    That phrasing is repulsive. Of course, I know you don't mean it the way it sounds, but it sounds like you're talking about fishing for a trout.

And I still question those people who think King hates eBay'ers. That simply is not true.
    I agree - if he didn't want to sign, he wouldn't sign. He knows what's going on and is apparently happy at times to participate. That's his choice. And I don't have any grief with approaching him at event venues, or even a bookstore - I think the context is right in those situations.

we provide a much needed service.
    I guess it is a service, but "much needed" is laughable. I mean, it's a high-end product that if it disappeared tomorrow, nobody would care except a few silly people like those of us here.

Sorry to be snarky, but when I was a ticket scalper I basically did the same thing, and there's no putting on a false front - I have something you want, and the price will depend on how desperate you are to get it. So "service?" Kind of. But it's not baby's milk, and we don't make the world a better place.

John F. Kennedy programmer is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Still no videos of any entire event? :-(
    As far as Nashville is concerned, I believe you won't get any. They were pretty firm on the no photos/no videos policy. I've seen people being admonished just for holding their phones upright.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Yes King is entitled to his space, but the man is a celebrity, whether he likes it or not, so he is going to be asked for his autograph when he goes to public events, whether that be outside of a book promotion event, TV Show, Red Sox game, etc.
    He's not a monkey in a zoo. I know what you're saying, but the whole "whether he likes it or not" phrasing is entitled bullshit. No sugarcoating, sorry, that's just what it is. Don't wrap it up any other way - you are pushing yourself on another person because you've decided his celebrity gives you that right. I mean, be honest about it.

Heck, I haven't gone for him in 3 years at Fenway.
    That phrasing is repulsive. Of course, I know you don't mean it the way it sounds, but it sounds like you're talking about fishing for a trout.

And I still question those people who think King hates eBay'ers. That simply is not true.
    I agree - if he didn't want to sign, he wouldn't sign. He knows what's going on and is apparently happy at times to participate. That's his choice. And I don't have any grief with approaching him at event venues, or even a bookstore - I think the context is right in those situations.

we provide a much needed service.
    I guess it is a service, but "much needed" is laughable. I mean, it's a high-end product that if it disappeared tomorrow, nobody would care except a few silly people like those of us here.

Sorry to be snarky, but when I was a ticket scalper I basically did the same thing, and there's no putting on a false front - I have something you want, and the price will depend on how desperate you are to get it. So "service?" Kind of. But it's not baby's milk, and we don't make the world a better place.
    I could not have said it better myself.... Redsoxfan is so FAR from a fan I don't know where to begin. His "wonderful" service I can (AND will) do without in my collecting.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh come on. What Redsoxfan does is hardly an evil thing and nothing to condemn him for. I think plenty of people have posted on here how they have searched for King at various events in hopes of getting an autograph and I know plenty of us have acquired items with the intention of reselling them at a later price.

Sitting here and judging people for those actions is petty. There is a lose of privacy that comes long with celebrity status. There is often a large amount of compensation that goes along with that as well. I'm sure there are plenty of people who overstep boundaries but those people are probably in the minority. Generally a celebrity has control over how much interaction they want to have with their fans. I can think of worse side effects of a chosen profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronstg View Post
    Oh come on. What Redsoxfan does is hardly an evil thing and nothing to condemn him for. I think plenty of people have posted on here how they have searched for King at various events in hopes of getting an autograph and I know plenty of us have acquired items with the intention of reselling them at a later price.

Sitting here and judging people for those actions is petty. There is a lose of privacy that comes long with celebrity status. There is often a large amount of compensation that goes along with that as well. I'm sure there are plenty of people who overstep boundaries but those people are probably in the minority. Generally a celebrity has control over how much interaction they want to have with their fans. I can think of worse side effects of a chosen profession.
    Where did anybody use the word "evil?" I would never say that.

I can think of a worse side effect of a chosen profession too - getting shot at my own event.

I'm not judging - but spare me the "service" and the nonsense about "this goes along with that."

No it doesn't - it doesn't matter whether you make five cents or five dollars or five million dollars - a big salary doesn't give the public the right to inflict themselves on other people. That's ridiculous.

You are right that SK has control over his interactions and if he flat-out stopped signing outside events then there'd be no reason to chase him down anymore. So he is willing to interact with fans - and also people he knows are reselling books - so if he doesn't have a problem I don't either.

But - like I said (without using the word "evil"), call it what it is - it's a somewhat selfish way to make money. At least be honest about it and don't try to justify it by calling it a "much-needed service" or other silly words.

As I said, I was a ticket scalper - I know exactly how it works and I made a very good salary selling something that I used fair means and foul to obtain, knowing it would be worth more than what was paid. All's fair, no judgement.

And I think RedSoxFan565 IS a fan - and is excited and motivated to be part of Stephen King culture...so I have no criticism of his motivation. Everybody's got to hustle to make a dollar and a dime.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

People have to have good taste and discretion.
    I would never ask Mr. King to sign a book while he was urinating (even if he said yes, hold this...).
    After King exited the restroom from a venue where he was part of a RBR live show, I didn't feel it was intrusive to ask "excuse me Mr. King, are you signing books tonight ?"
    I haven't pursued Mr. King in a conga line of folks who went to the "private (not legally)" beach/road where he walks his dog.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know that I am definitely getting a signed EOW - so I should not complain...but I think the RENO event might turn into a bit of a cluster:

Stephen King confirmation reservation holders...here's what you need to know
    We are opening at 8am. Join us for a Cromuffin and a cup of coffee. (and wait inside - they did mention they will have video screens and be playing some SK movies, plus Caleb can play in their lego kids section)
    You ABSOLUTELY have to have your confirmation email with you to purchase your signed copy and receive your wrist band.
    We anticipate being at max capacity. (no shit - since we are not closing to the general public at this time)
    We will continue to post updates as they come.
    Annnd lastly...we are so EXCITED for this!!!!

They are not planning on closing the store to the general public at this time. Only 100 seats - so remainder of 300 ticket holders will find standing space throughout the store - but they might not be allowed in if no space per whatever fire hazard limits they have - until someone leaves the store. Why is it so difficult to just announce at 1130 that all people without a wristband must exit store for a special event, the store will re-open at 230 this afternoon. Then you just have the 400 ticket holders (obviously some less since those with extra tickets might not have people hang around once they get their books, etc.) and staff for the event. Simple - close store for 2.5 hours - from noon to 230.

FROM B&N facebook:
    Barnes & Noble Much of our center displays will be cleared out. There will be about 100 chairs available. But plenty of room throughout the store to see and hear from.

Barnes & Noble The wristbands guarantees a signed book to purchase and attendance at the event.

John Lindgren Okay, cool. Going to be shutting it down to the public for the day?
    Barnes & Noble Not planning on it. ��

After getting hammered on Facebook about not shutting down the store - here is their reply:
    Barnes & Noble We are just so grateful we get to offer this event. What an amazing opportunity Stephen King has given us by choosing Barnes&Noble Reno to visit!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast