Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: favorite non-King read

Gunslinger Apprentice Rooster will become famous soon enough

So many! But I'll restrict myself to seconding frik's mention of Stephen Donaldson (everything he's written), Cordial Jim's mention of Glen Cook (Cook is a go to guy when in doubt) and WeDealInLead's mention of Powers (Anubis Gates is in itself sooo good). Others not mentioned are Dorothy Dunnett (the queen of historical fiction to me), Jack Vance (the grandmaster, and my number one collecting target), and my newest favourite, K. J. Parker.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (if he'd just get that 3rd book done!)
    The Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown
    Any Christopher Moore book if you want to laugh out loud
    The Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning if you like Urban Fantasy
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like Hannibal as well as Red Dragon. But Silence was for me my favorite. I remember I enjoyed Red Dragon more after reading Silence then the first time through. He is a wonderful writer.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phalucha View Post
    I like Hannibal as well as Red Dragon. But Silence was for me my favorite. I remember I enjoyed Red Dragon more after reading Silence then the first time through. He is a wonderful writer.
    He really is. Just talking about these books makes me want to reread all of them actually. Maybe even Hannibal Rising! I was thinking, what impact would it have to a "fresh" reader in reading them in chronological order? Starting with HR, then Red Dragon and so forth. It's interesting to think how that progression would affect the "fresh" reader's perspective on Hannibal. I read them out of order myself starting with TSOTL, then RD, then Hannibal and finally Hannibal Rising.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    He really is. Just talking about these books makes me want to reread all of them actually. Maybe even Hannibal Rising again! I was thinking, what impact would it have to a "fresh" reader in reading them in chronological order? Starting with HR, then Red Dragon and so forth. It's interesting to think how that progression would affect the "fresh" reader's perspective on Hannibal. I read them out of order myself starting with TSOTL, then RD, then Hannibal and finally Hannibal Rising.
    Interesting idea. It might make Hannibal Rising better to not have the high expectations set by the other 3 books going into it.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    He really is. Just talking about these books makes me want to reread all of them actually. Maybe even Hannibal Rising again! I was thinking, what impact would it have to a "fresh" reader in reading them in chronological order? Starting with HR, then Red Dragon and so forth. It's interesting to think how that progression would affect the "fresh" reader's perspective on Hannibal. I read them out of order myself starting with TSOTL, then RD, then Hannibal and finally Hannibal Rising.
    Interesting idea. It might make Hannibal Rising better to not have the high expectations set by the other 3 books going into it.
    I thought that too. It is a great prequel/lead-in if you don't know what's coming. It would make Hannibal less mysterious in RD and TSOTL though. It would definitely be a different experience.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Summer of Night and The Terror, both by Dan Simmons
    The Wayward Pines series by Blake Crouch
    A recent read that I thoroughly enjoyed was a Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
    Chuck Palahniuk's earlier works, like Lullaby, Fight Club, Choke, Survivor
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    So many! But I'll restrict myself to seconding frik's mention of Stephen Donaldson (everything he's written), Cordial Jim's mention of Glen Cook (Cook is a go to guy when in doubt) and WeDealInLead's mention of Powers (Anubis Gates is in itself sooo good). Others not mentioned are Dorothy Dunnett (the queen of historical fiction to me), Jack Vance (the grandmaster, and my number one collecting target), and my newest favourite, K. J. Parker.
    Now you've got me intrigued about Dorothy Dunnett. I really enjoy reading historical fiction and I'm amazed that I had never heard of her. I'm going to have to check out her books. The Game of Kings seems to be the place to start. It's great that her books are still in print after all the years.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Summer of Night and The Terror, both by Dan Simmons
    A recent read that I thoroughly enjoyed was a Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
    Chuck Palahniuk's earlier works, like Lullaby, Fight Club, Choke, Survivor
    Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
    Summer of Night and Terror... TOTALLY AGREE!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Now you've got me intrigued about Dorothy Dunnett. I really enjoy reading historical fiction and I'm amazed that I had never heard of her. I'm going to have to check out her books. The Game of Kings seems to be the place to start. It's great that her books are still in print after all the years.
    Awesome! Dunnett often seems to be a well-kept secret. I found about her on a different forum, and ended up steamrolling through all her books. I've very rarely heard mention of her outside that forum, but still, she must have been quite popular at the time; they even published a book of poetry related to the work, and two companion volumes which shed light on the historical background and the classical allusions, references and quotations.

She's written one standalone and two series, and even though the House of Niccolò is set before the Lymond Chronicles, the first novel of the latter - The Game of Kings - is indeed the best place to start, even if it is actually one of her more difficult books. It may or may not help to know that the prose style, which is very baroque, gets toned down a bit in the later books. Whenever you get around to reading it, please let me know - even if you hated it.

Also, if you have any historical fiction recommendations, feel free to drop me a line!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Will do! I have so much on my reading list but will push this one up the line. In terms of other recommendations, I don't know that I have any major revelations. A few that come to mind are The Covenant by Michener, Exodus by Uris, The Century Trilogy by Follett and of course Pillars and World Without End. He's currently writing the third in that series.

I've read Pillars by Follett, and I liked it very much. I hadn't heard of Michener or Uris, but I'm thinking The Covenant will find itself on the next shipping box headed my way. Thanks!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thinking about adding Swan Song on my read list. Seen it here I think... good guys?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've read Pillars by Follett, and I liked it very much. I hadn't heard of Michener or Uris, but I'm thinking The Covenant will find itself on the next shipping box headed my way. Thanks!
    The Covenant was especially meaningful to me because it's all about the history of South Africa where I'm from. Michener had written a lot of books and was very popular back in his day. Hope you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Thinking about adding Swan Song on my read list. Seen it here I think... good guys?
    A McCammon I have not read yet. Judging by everything else I've read by him, I'm sure I will like it a great deal though.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

A McCammon I have not read yet. Judging by everything else I've read by him, I'm sure I will like it a great deal though.
    I had thought the same thing when I read Swan Song, but I was disappointed. I know that it is a highly regarded book from McCammon's body of work, but my personal opinion is that Boy's Life is McCammon's true masterpiece. Boy's Life was woven very well and came 'full circle' in the end. Swan Song's story, in comparison to the 'circle' that Boy's Life made, was more like a long wavy (almost jagged) line whose point A and point B were pretty far away from each other in the end. In other words, there were a lot of loose ends at the end of Swan Song. That's not always a bad thing for a story, but for me, most of the loose ends at the end of Swan Song weren't the fun type of loose ends that keep me thinking about the story and pushing it further beyond the writer's end to the story in my own mind, but more like the type of loose ends that make me think WTF?

Just my personal opinion. No offense meant to McCammon fans who love Swan Song. It just obviously wasn't my cup of tea.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The Covenant was especially meaningful to me because it's all about the history of South Africa where I'm from. Michener had written a lot of books and was very popular back in his day. Hope you enjoy it.
    I love everything by Michener. He was one of my favorite authors.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    I had thought the same thing when I read Swan Song, but I was disappointed. I know that it is a highly regarded book from McCammon's body of work, but my personal opinion is that Boy's Life is McCammon's true masterpiece. Boy's Life was woven very well and came 'full circle' in the end. Swan Song's story, in comparison to the 'circle' that Boy's Life made, was more like a long wavy (almost jagged) line whose point A and point B were pretty far away from each other in the end. In other words, there were a lot of loose ends at the end of Swan Song. That's not always a bad thing for a story, but for me, most of the loose ends at the end of Swan Song weren't the fun type of loose ends that keep me thinking about the story and pushing it further beyond the writer's end to the story in my own mind, but more like the type of loose ends that make me think WTF?

Just my personal opinion. No offense meant to McCammon fans who love Swan Song. It just obviously wasn't my cup of tea.
    I have both Swan Song and Boy's Life on my kindle and ready to go. Maybe I'll start one of them next.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought that too. It is a great prequel/lead-in if you don't know what's coming. It would make Hannibal less mysterious in RD and TSOTL though. It would definitely be a different experience.
    That's why I didn't care for Hannibal Rising much. I don't want to know why Hannibal is the way he is. He's much scarier if you don't know. After reading Hannibal Rising, he was just "misunderstood." ;-) The book would have worked a lot better for me if the main character had been not-Hannibal.

Hunter

Gunslinger Apprentice goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter will become famous soon enough goathunter's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Also, if you have any historical fiction recommendations, feel free to drop me a line!

I may be seen as biased, but I highly recommend Robert McCammmon's Matthew Corbett books, which are set in 17th Century America. The first book is Speaks the Nightbird.

http://www.matthewcorbettsworld.com/

Hunter

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good to see some love for Hannibal! I just remember when it came out there was quite a bit of criticism about it, particularly the ending. I was working at a book store at the time (Crown Books if anybody remembers them from back in the day) and remember people being downright angry over what "Harris did to Starling" (including my future wife). I seem to recall reading several negative book reviews about it at the time also. When I eventually got around to reading it I was blown away about how good it was. Like Silence and Dragon, I simply could not put it down. I've read some pretty gritty stuff in my time, but there was stuff in Hannibal I've never seen in print before, especially for a best seller! Gutsy and brilliant, including the ending!

Hannibal Rising.... really didn't care for it that much. A let down for sure for me. Anybody know what Tom is up to these days? It's been 10 years since Rising. He's due for a new book!

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
    That's why I didn't care for Hannibal Rising much. I don't want to know why Hannibal is the way he is. He's much scarier if you don't know. After reading Hannibal Rising, he was just "misunderstood." ;-) The book would have worked a lot better for me if the main character had been not-Hannibal.

Hunter
    Yeah I have to admit Hannibal Rising is problematic to read at the end OR at the beginning of the Red Dragon-The Silence of the Lambs-Hannibal cycle because it is so comparatively weak. To a new reader I would suggest not reading it all and to enjoy the mystery of Hannibal's past. But I think anyone who reads those first three would have to read Hannibal Rising simply because it's there and they will want more Hannibal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordial Jim View Post
    Good to see some love for Hannibal! I just remember when it came out there was quite a bit of criticism about it, particularly the ending. I was working at a book store at the time (Crown Books if anybody remembers them from back in the day) and remember people being downright angry over what "Harris did to Starling" (including my future wife). I seem to recall reading several negative book reviews about it at the time also. When I eventually got around to reading it I was blown away about how good it was. Like Silence and Dragon, I simply could not put it down. I've read some pretty gritty stuff in my time, but there was stuff in Hannibal I've never seen in print before, especially for a best seller! Gutsy and brilliant, including the ending!

Hannibal Rising.... really didn't care for it that much. A let down for sure for me. Anybody know what Tom is up to these days? It's been 10 years since Rising. He's due for a new book!
    King loved it...

Hannibal the Cannibal: Dr. Lecter is the great fictional monster of our time. by Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter View Post
    I may be seen as biased, but I highly recommend Robert McCammmon's Matthew Corbett books, which are set in 17th Century America. The first book is Speaks the Nightbird.

http://www.matthewcorbettsworld.com/

Hunter
    Thank you Hunter! I've heard great things about McCammon on this forum. When I get into this work, it's going to be either with Speaks the Nightbird as you mentioned, or with Boy's Life!

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Seconded. Heather, I am so glad you introduced me to the Pines series. One of the best things ever.

The Century Trilogy by Follett and of course Pillars and World Without End. He's currently writing the third in that series.
    Gah! I keep forgetting to check out Pillars and World Without End. I always hear good things about it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast