Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What King Item lit your collecting fire?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    Around that same time, I found a copy of the Spring 89 issue of MIDNIGHT GRAFFITI which happened to be a Stephen King focused issue. In it was a two page ad for a bookseller named Michael Autrey, (I believe some members may have some stories to share about him).
    Also, IIRC, in that same two page listing by Autrey there is a first state 'Salem's dust jacket for $3,000 (!).
    So I should offer you $3001 ?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    Around that same time, I found a copy of the Spring 89 issue of MIDNIGHT GRAFFITI which happened to be a Stephen King focused issue. In it was a two page ad for a bookseller named Michael Autrey, (I believe some members may have some stories to share about him).
    Also, IIRC, in that same two page listing by Autrey there is a first state 'Salem's dust jacket for $3,000 (!).
    So I should offer you $3001 ?
    I'm not even sure when I first became aware of the different states of the dust jacket. I didn't even get a copy of that magazine until about 1992 or so and didn't notice that listing until just a few months ago when I was looking through the magazine for something else. Autrey frequently advertised books that were not in his possession but that he could get if someone were to offer to buy from his listings. A lot of the time they were books owned by John McLaughlin of The Book Sail. I know that my asbestos Firestarter that I bought from Autrey came from McLaughlin. I suspect that the book in this listing from 1989 is the same book that I bought from McLaughlin much later in August 1999.

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

For me it was my 1st Salem's Lot (2nd state) that I bought at an estate sale for $0.75. Not knowing anything about collecting at that point (this was nearly 20 years ago), I had it in a bag to give to Goodwill because I thought it was a book club edition. When I dug it out and looked it over again, I realized it MIGHT be a 1st but wasn't sure so I contacted Stu Tinker and he informed me of what I had. Needless to say I held onto it (until I sold it several years ago...still kick myself over that), and then tried to collect all the other firsts and anything I could get my hands on.
    ~Jonathan

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jreitan47 View Post
    For me it was my 1st Salem's Lot (2nd state) that I bought at an estate sale for $0.75. Not knowing anything about collecting at that point (this was nearly 20 years ago), I had it in a bag to give to Goodwill because I thought it was a book club edition. When I dug it out and looked it over again, I realized it MIGHT be a 1st but wasn't sure so I contacted Stu Tinker and he informed me of what I had. Needless to say I held onto it (until I sold it several years ago...still kick myself over that), and then tried to collect all the other firsts and anything I could get my hands on.
    That may be the best find I have ever heard of. Well, as far as King collecting goes. Those seven Ty Cobb baseball cards from 1909-1911 found in an old paper bag the other day is probably the best.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jreitan47 View Post
    That may be the best find I have ever heard of. Well, as far as King collecting goes. Those seven Ty Cobb baseball cards from 1909-1911 found in an old paper bag the other day is probably the best.
    I can't imagine... One million dollars in cards in the bottom of a paper bag. Unreal!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I started reading King around 1982, maybe earlier, but I didn't keep track of the books I bought. Often they were lent to friends and never seen again - such as the compilation of the four Bachman books that is out of print. I do still have my worn old paperback of The Stand (Uncut).

I started reading the Dark Tower books in 1992 when I stopped by my local library to find a couple audiocassette books to help me pass time on the long round trip drive from the Bay Area to Seattle to see my girlfriend at the time. I checked out a couple King books I had not hear of previously: The Gunslinger and The Drawing of the Three, both read by the author. After those I was hooked, then pissed when I figured out the series I had started was not yet finished.

Years later, looking online to find out information about the still-unfinished series, I discovered the now-defunct TDT.net. There I started reading about King collecting and these beautiful editions that some of the members owned. Finally, I took the plunge and began collecting King's books in November 2004 when I purchased matching number S/L's of DT2, DT3, and DT4 in rapid succession.

I told myself that over time I would buy a single set of DT S/L's with numbers < 501 and then be done.

Then, before completing my original goal, I told myself that I would expand my limit and only collect King S/L's and nothing more.

Then I saw some Gift/Artist Editions that were pretty sweet.

Then I told myself that a signed 1st edition or two wouldn't be so bad, as long as I trusted the source.

Then I expanded to a few other favorite authors.

Then saw a King proof I liked...

And so it goes.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I was new to the collecting world, and had yet to purchase anything. I would frequent a bookstore on Newbury Street in Boston called Avenue Victor Hugo. I would drool at all the King books they had, and I had so many interesting talks with the man who ran it. Turns out that they had once had an artist's studio upstairs, and number of the artists who worked on the Grant limited edition of The Talisman did their paintings there. This was around the time that Grant was publishing the limited edition for The Wastelands. It was already sold out but they were doing a drawing for the right to buy one limited edition at cover price. I put my name in, and the names of anyone I could think of hoping to get a copy.

At the same time, I was working for an auction company and I was asked to go and assess the collection of a clown, yes a clown who happen to be selling his collection of clown memorabilia. His collection was fascinating. While I was at his house he asked me if I might be interested in some books he had. Turned out he had five Grant first editions of The Gunslinger and three second editions as well, all of which were still in the shrink-wrap. He sold me four of the firsts and all three seconds for $1000 - he was looking for quick money. I remember driving home with my books with the excitement of a little boy at Christmas. When I walked through the door at home, I was still living with my mother, she told me that someone from Avenue Victor Hugo had just called and that she had won the signed limited edition of The Wastelands. Not a bad haul for one day.

Well, my collection was off and running. Over the those early years I traded/sold all The Gunslingers, except the lone first edition I still have in the shrink-wrap. The trades/sales helped me grow my collection. The Wasetlands limited locked me in for all future Dark Tower limiteds, except for TWTTK - I hate that they reduced the number on that one! I was off an running.

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mine started with trying to find a copy of The Gunslinger after I saw it listed in the front of Pet Sematary. I was in 9th or 10th grade. I took a big chunk of my savings and mailed a bank check for $125 to some guy in Texas. He sent me a F/F first edition that I still have today. That was my first introduction to small press books. After that I got on Grant's mailing list. Next came Drawing of the Three, then Prime Evil (my first King signed limited). It was all downhill after that. I got The Gunslinger signed at the Three Kings event in D.C. a while back.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I bought a paperback Spanish copy of IT in 2000 for AR$ 13 (at that moment it was U$S 13). On the next day I was in a book fair and saw immediately a HC Spanish copy without DJ...

- How much?
    - 12 AR$
    - No, thanks.
    - 10 AR$
    - No, thanks.
    - 9 AR$.

Don't ask me how because I don't know, but I left with the book and asking myself why I bought two copies of the same book. And from that point on everything was crystal clear. I just wanted ONE gift edition. I can purchase only ONE signed edition. It's just ONE signed limited.

Yeah...right.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

.50 at a yard sale in 1980.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Dented.
    You were ripped off.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This:

A gift when I was eighteen in 1986. I still have it

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have one of those too! I like it!

John

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yup, one of my favorite paperbacks.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a inscribed copy of Misery 1st/1st from my high school sweetheart. The girl who introduced me to King via Thinner. Although it will never have any meaning or value to anyone else; it will always be one of the most cherished books in my collection. Probably should have married that girl, sigh.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post
    This:

A gift when I was eighteen in 1986. I still have it
    Now i need one! how do you guys find these things. I love IT.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen that cover before. Nice!
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Spoiler:

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The good stuff is always between the covers, .

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If I remember correctly, this edition contains a fac simile signature too, no?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What lit mine? Hmmmm... I know back when I read IT in 92' (I was in grade 9 or 10 anyways..) I loved it and wanted them all. I never really knew about signatures and limiteds though. After I joined Ebay about 5 or so years ago I started seeing the crazy priced ones. I just wanted to fill the holes with hard covers in my collection but noticed that I would need to get a signed Dolans to do so among a few other S/L's that were only released that way. Well... when I held that Dolans... and seen the signature. I decided to keep going. Have NOT stopped since! Love it
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've read King since high school, 11 or 12, and used to buy used paperbacks of the market stalls. Then, not too long ago, I decided to get the First Editions of IT and The Stand (my two favourite King books). Then I discovered US First editions, and while I was at it, came across some First Edition Collections on Ebay, which really started me thinking I could seriously collect. Once I had the US and UK firsts pretty much covered, it came time to sell my extra copies.

A couple of buyers of some of my duplicate copies in the US and Australia (peripheral) then mentioned S/L's, and that's when things really started getting interesting (and costly). Peripheral introduced me to this site, and now I basically covet anything everybody else owns. IT is the one that really started it all for me, and taking delivery of a Lettered PC (and matching Portfolio) from David at Betts is the pinnacle so far...but there's a long way to go...
    Wanted:
    Carrie PS Publishing Lettered ‘G’
    Charlie the Choo Choo U.K. S/L #157
    Dark Tower Portfolio #157

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Crap, I may have posted this LONG ago but too lazy to look to see if I wrote this already....My first King "read" was Salem's Lot, which I read at night when my girlfriend (now wife) and I were camping in a tent in Prince Edward Island.....in truth, I suffered nightmares after reading about Danny Glick and "soft sucking sounds"....it's amazing the images the mind creates when you are in the middle of nowhere at night in a tent...LOL...After Salem's, I read The Stand and was hooked after that as a King junkie. I bought my very first King collectible....a F/F 1st The Stand 1978 from Stu Tinker at Betts and I still own this copy. I have the receipt too but the ink has now completely bled off the paper leaving it blank, but of COURSE, I still keep it.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Crap, I may have posted this LONG ago but too lazy to look to see if I wrote this already....My first King "read" was Salem's Lot, which I read at night when my girlfriend (now wife) and I were camping in a tent in Prince Edward Island.....in truth, I suffered nightmares after reading about Danny Glick and "soft sucking sounds"....it's amazing the images the mind creates when you are in the middle of nowhere at night in a tent...LOL...After Salem's, I read The Stand and was hooked after that as a King junkie. I bought my very first King collectible....a F/F 1st The Stand 1978 from Stu Tinker at Betts and I still own this copy. I have the receipt too but the ink has now completely bled off the paper leaving it blank, but of COURSE, I still keep it.
    David. No one should have time for reading while camping with a girlfriend
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2