Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Duma Key--**spoiler thread**

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

It is (Jerome Wireman)

I think Matt's referring to Edgar
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Demon of the Prim Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Duh...I have Wireman on the brain..also agree with Matt..there's nothing to make you think Edgar was a man of color..just because of the same name used in the Stand..he crosses a lot of names in his books...thanks heather..don't get old..you're mind tends to go off on it's own sometimes..LOL!
    Never try to teach a pig to sing...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Gunslinger Apprentice AcidBumbler is on a distinguished road AcidBumbler's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really liked Duma Key, although I can't actually remember much at all.
    I just remember really enjoying it.
    If you love me, then love me - Susan Delgado

The world eventually sends out a mean-ass Patrol Boy to slow your progress and show you who's boss - Stephen King

Will always love Paul Aaron Mills; He is the Roland to my Susan

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished reading it yesterday. Like most others in this thread, I really enjoyed it. This sums up for me what I felt, although exactly the opposite.

I thought [the ending] was masterful, and the contemporary story and narrative felt worn out and hollow by comparison - it felt like I was reading and reading but the real story was dead and gone 80 years previous. You could really feel the isolation of the characters in the backstory.
    I preferred the contemporary story. I loved Edgar and Wireman and the way Edgar had to deal with his injuries and his divorce and all the emotions that come out of those life-changing events. The way he felf about his daughters (loved each one, but one "more" than the other and the guilt that comes along with that). Dealing with his new-found talent. These and other aspects of the book were more impressive to me than the horror story of Perse and the zombies and the race against the sun to get the china doll into freswater.

The backstory was okay. Served the plot well by setting the stage for the horrors to come. But I didn't "feel" those characters like the ones in the contemporary story.

Don't get me wrong. There were some chilling passages. Going down into the cistern; the lawn jockey; the upside down bird; and especially Edgar meeting up with the ghost of Ilse under Big Pink. That was well-written. Until the end of that section I was almost convinced that he was going to just give up and go with her.

But all in all, the last 100 pages or so almost struck me as "Oh, man, I've been writing this great book with these great characters but no real horror to show my readers yet so I'd better come up with something to wrap this up."

So, final tally I give it a 4.5 out of 5. Definitely a re-read at some point.

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

this book is one of SK best i think......it was a little spooky in spots and it takes alot to spook me now....but books always get me worse then movies...i read at night mostly...maybe thats it

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I have finished it. What a sad book. I think I got to love Edgar's family way too much.
    I liked it. A lot. But there were some solutions I didn't like.. but they didn't ruin the book.
    The ending at the beach was brilliant. More than brilliant.
    If only we had got more information about Perse.

Roland would have understood.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Has anyone noticed that Duma Key said just a bit differenttly
    Doom Aqui ....or doom here (in spanish) , this just was mentioned
    to me by a fellow employee I just met, as he was telling me he had
    read The Dark Tower...altho small islands here off the coast of Florida
    are indeed called keys, I found this quite amusing, and relevent to the story.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really enjoyed this and raced through it. I really enaged with the character of Edgar and really felt for him.

I love the Wiremanisms in it. The other day, I very nearly said "when it comes to memory we all stack the deck" It's sooo true I love that saying. I think it's up there as being as quotable as DT.

Gunslinger Apprentice JRM is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't remember posting here.

But just wanted to say I loved this book. The climax and ending weren't as strong as the rest of the book, however. It all just happened too quickly and got way too over-the-top. My opinion, of course. That being said, one of my favs.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm doing a re-read of Duma Key right now. I really like this book, and the guy that narrates it has a great voice.

Something that bugs me about this book though. Edgar's wife, and friend Tom, are kinda slimey people. First off, his wife is kind of a bitch towards him. Never mind the fact she divorced a crippled dude barely off his death bed, she's just down right mean towards him. Especially when he calls to get her to check on Tom. The you have Tom, the guy that Edgar says he would have asked to be his best man, someone that worked for him for years, and knew him pretty intimately. As soon as Edgar takes off for Florida this Tom dude is hitting on Edgar's ex-wife and they start banging. What kind of friend goes after his friend's ex-wife? And the fact that Edgar isn't mad enough to spit nails over that whole thing is just crazy. I'd want to kill them both. That whole thing is creepy.

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I finished Duma Key today, and I'm sad to say that I didn't enjoy it much. I at no point felt 'grabbed' by the story as it usually happens with other King books, and I felt that the ending was a perfect example of anti-climatic.
    My feeling exactly. That being said, I really like the book and its one of my favorites of his (along with Hearts in Atlantis). Maybe it is the semi-historical aspect in connection with the feeling that he really was channeling a lot of his own pain and struggle with his own head injury and how he had to fight back to get function after that--it really made Edgar a sympathetic character to me, as it did Wireman and Li'Bet.

However, containing Perse with a flashlight was, I don't know, childish? A little too easy? Maybe they could have had a more ritualistic aspect to it? (Chud?)

This, is really my only problem with Sai King, his fatal flaw if you will. If he had come up with an ending like the Ritual of Chud, this would have been his best IMHO. I guess I can't expect it all (and he already used up that ending!)
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

interesting that DK is one of the very few SK books whose ending (or the last part) never felt anti-climactic to me. Maybe because he refrained from universal running, burning, collapsing and exploding, which so often bores me by the end of his books.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Duma Key is a very good book. Has it been optioned for a movie yet?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    I'm doing a re-read of Duma Key right now. I really like this book, and the guy that narrates it has a great voice.

Something that bugs me about this book though. Edgar's wife, and friend Tom, are kinda slimey people. First off, his wife is kind of a bitch towards him. Never mind the fact she divorced a crippled dude barely off his death bed, she's just down right mean towards him. Especially when he calls to get her to check on Tom. The you have Tom, the guy that Edgar says he would have asked to be his best man, someone that worked for him for years, and knew him pretty intimately. As soon as Edgar takes off for Florida this Tom dude is hitting on Edgar's ex-wife and they start banging. What kind of friend goes after his friend's ex-wife? And the fact that Edgar isn't mad enough to spit nails over that whole thing is just crazy. I'd want to kill them both. That whole thing is creepy.
    The friend who goes after your ex is just the friend who deserves your ex.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I don't get why he killed Wireman. That was IMO pretty pointless at that point.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't remember. I probably should reread soon.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I am listening to the audio cd version right now during my commute time! Just a tad more than 1 third of the way through. :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Funny (as in a coincidence), I'm about a third of the way through a reread.

John

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    I am listening to the audio cd version right now during my commute time! Just a tad more than 1 third of the way through. :-)
    That narrator is great, wish he'd do some more King stuff

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    It leaves Eddie totally alone and friendless.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Duma Key. Great novel! I loved it!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

awesome! big bearhugs

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    That narrator is great, wish he'd do some more King stuff

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    It leaves Eddie totally alone and friendless.
    I guess anything's possible. Maybe King just wanted to hurt us more.

Traveler Cass will become famous soon enough

Man... SK killed me when the doggie died... also, Wireman is DA man!

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    Has anyone noticed that Duma Key said just a bit differenttly
    Doom Aqui ....or doom here (in spanish) , this just was mentioned
    to me by a fellow employee I just met, as he was telling me he had
    read The Dark Tower...altho small islands here off the coast of Florida
    are indeed called keys, I found this quite amusing, and relevent to the story.
    I never thought of that, but it's very interesting/clever point.

WeDeal: I'm right there with you on the Wireman point. I thought it was, to use a small pun, overkill. Not necessary IMO.

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I just did my annual re-listen to Duma Key, and something kinda puzzles me. I've never really understood this part:

Spoiler:
    What's up with the Sand Ilsa at the end, after they get Perse out of the well? Is that part of Perse's power, and if so, how is it possible if she's asleep in the water in the flashlight? Or is it part of Edgar's power, that he drew her in the sand and she came to life as a sand girl? And/or, did Perse capture Ilsa and is she part of her crew now on the Persephone? Is that why Mary drowned her in the salt water? What happens to the crew and the ship why Perse is trapped in her fresh water 'grave'? None of that made much sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

The friend who goes after your ex is just the friend who deserves your ex.
    Maybe so, but it's still pretty low on both the friend and the ex's parts. I wouldn't be able to overlook that like Edgar did. I'd probably let him kill himself and let her blame herself for it. What kind of person does that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast