Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: "Fake" Stephen King - Sells on Amazon

  1. #1
    Owner Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    40,174
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default "Fake" Stephen King - Sells on Amazon

    There is an author who sells books on Amazon using the name Stephen King. Some of his books have catchy titles and covers. Most of the reviews on page one are 1 star (surprise, surprise), but his overall rating atop the page is 2.5 stars.

    If there were more 1 star reviews, it would lower his rating.

    Thoughts?

    Link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Beast-Control-...s=stephen+king

  2. #2
    Rabid Billybumbler cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Cali
    Posts
    2,822
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    A three star review:

    October 23, 2015
    Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
    Another one of those strange books. Not one of the Stephen Kings great ones.To me just bla and not one that I care for.

    Makes me wonder which Stephen King this person was comparing these stories to…

  3. #3
    Servant of Gan Joe315 is just really nice Joe315 is just really nice Joe315 is just really nice Joe315 is just really nice Joe315 is just really nice

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,796
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    He's not the only author being mimicked. I can think of two off the top of my head: James K. Rollins impersonating James Rollins (Omega Force to the real Rollins Sigma Force) and Preston Child impersonating Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

    I hate seeing this especially when people are getting ripped off.

  4. #4
    Owner Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    40,174
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    It doesn't appear that Amazon is going to do anything about it, so the only chance to warn the buying public is more 1 star reviews. Strange how 49% of the reviews are 1 star, but overall he receives 2.5 stars.

  5. #5
    Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    2,570
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    The reviews are hilarious. Under "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" are a lot of real King books. However if you were paying attention, alarm bells would go off. For instance, he is #81 under the "horror" heading of kindle fiction. SK is #1.

    Regardless, I do feel like Amazon should do something to differentiate the two. It's not illegal to have the same name, but he is exploiting that he writes horror and shares a name with the best horror writer. I'd think Amazon would do something to help out their (dumber) customers, but it is caveat emptor.

  6. #6
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    28,201
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It doesn't appear that Amazon is going to do anything about it, so the only chance to warn the buying public is more 1 star reviews. Strange how 49% of the reviews are 1 star, but overall he receives 2.5 stars.
    Well, J 48% of the reviews are 3 star or better.

  7. #7
    Servant of Gan Joe315 is just really nice Joe315 is just really nice Joe315 is just really nice Joe315 is just really nice Joe315 is just really nice

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,796
    Country
    Country Flag

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It doesn't appear that Amazon is going to do anything about it, so the only chance to warn the buying public is more 1 star reviews. Strange how 49% of the reviews are 1 star, but overall he receives 2.5 stars.
    Well, J 48% of the reviews are 3 star or better.
    These are probably paid for reviews or friends upping his ranking.

  8. #8
    Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958 seldom gets put on hold Merlin1958's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Yankee Stadium
    Posts
    28,201
    My Mood
    Innocent
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It doesn't appear that Amazon is going to do anything about it, so the only chance to warn the buying public is more 1 star reviews. Strange how 49% of the reviews are 1 star, but overall he receives 2.5 stars.
    Well, J 48% of the reviews are 3 star or better.
    These are probably paid for reviews or friends upping his ranking.
    True. I was just saying is all.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    He's not the only author being mimicked. I can think of two off the top of my head: James K. Rollins impersonating James Rollins (Omega Force to the real Rollins Sigma Force) and Preston Child impersonating Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

    I hate seeing this especially when people are getting ripped off.
    Yeah, Amazon doesn't seem to care as long as the sales are rolling in. I'm thinking of leaving a bunch of one star reviews to help warn the buying public. Nothing fancy, just "Word of warning: this is not the real Stephen King, it's a fake so don't waste your money" kind of deal.

    Anyone else want to help?

    Brian
    Answer Guy for Cemetery Dance Publications! Please always feel free to email me at my CD mail if there's anything I can help with!

    Also, the one and only Answer Guy for LetterPress Publications. Same deal, please email me at my LPP mail if I can ever help you out!

  10. #10
    Owner Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    40,174
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe315 View Post
    He's not the only author being mimicked. I can think of two off the top of my head: James K. Rollins impersonating James Rollins (Omega Force to the real Rollins Sigma Force) and Preston Child impersonating Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

    I hate seeing this especially when people are getting ripped off.
    Yeah, Amazon doesn't seem to care as long as the sales are rolling in. I'm thinking of leaving a bunch of one star reviews to help warn the buying public. Nothing fancy, just "Word of warning: this is not the real Stephen King, it's a fake so don't waste your money" kind of deal.

    Anyone else want to help?

    Brian
    FYI, Amazon filters their reviews. I left a review that wasn't posted as they have no recent record of me purchasing one of the books.
    Not sure I want to spend $5 to help Amazon and "Stephen King" and then leave another review.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    FYI, Amazon filters their reviews. I left a review that wasn't posted as they have no recent record of me purchasing one of the books.
    Not sure I want to spend $5 to help Amazon and "Stephen King" and then leave another review.
    I wonder if these are in one of Amazon's "only publish with us" programs -- that's the first time I've heard of them excluding reviews if you hadn't purchased from them since normally they wouldn't know if you had bought something elsewhere.

    Brian
    Answer Guy for Cemetery Dance Publications! Please always feel free to email me at my CD mail if there's anything I can help with!

    Also, the one and only Answer Guy for LetterPress Publications. Same deal, please email me at my LPP mail if I can ever help you out!

  12. #12
    Owner Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg received positive rep from Stephen King Randall Flagg's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, Thankfully 700 miles from Bill
    Posts
    40,174
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag
    Gender
    Gender

    Default

    Give it a try (Posting without buying) and see.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Give it a try (Posting without buying) and see.
    Yep, I will. I'll also check Kobo and BN to see if the fake Stephen King is listed there. If not, then he's an Amazon only author and it appears they've changed the rules a bit in an attempt to crack down on their self-published authors who are paying for good reviews in bulk or asking friends to post good reviews, etc.

    Brian
    Answer Guy for Cemetery Dance Publications! Please always feel free to email me at my CD mail if there's anything I can help with!

    Also, the one and only Answer Guy for LetterPress Publications. Same deal, please email me at my LPP mail if I can ever help you out!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts