Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Packaging Jobs - Shipping issues - Why???

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yup, definitely learned my lesson. Media Mail + buying a box is more expensive than Priority Mail + free box, so I'm just going to use Priorty Mail going forward. I save money and buyer gets 2nd day.

Edit: The frustrating part for me is that my post office accepted the package and didn't say anything. Would have been nice to have been told the box type has to match the shipping type so I'd have an opportunity to correct.
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Priority Mail is usually quite a bit faster than Media Mail. The amount of time spent being thrown about is reduced.

Priority Mail also provides $50 of insurance.

I've used Priority Mail boxes to ship Media Mail by wrapping the box in brown paper.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Priority Mail is usually quite a bit faster than Media Mail. The amount of time spent being thrown about is reduced.

I've used Priority Mail boxes to ship Media Mail by wrapping the box in brown paper.
    FWIW, I used a wrapped Priority Mail box to ship Media Mail once. USPS opened the box and charged the recipient for the difference between media mail and priority - and it took media time to get there! Damn post office.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post

FWIW, I used a wrapped Priority Mail box to ship Media Mail once. USPS opened the box and charged the recipient for the difference between media mail and priority - and it took media time to get there! Damn post office.

The USPS reserves the right to open packages shipped via Media Mail to confirm that they meet the requirements*

*Requirements

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post

Yeah...I dunno.....the boxes are free if you ship Priority and pay the premium. You took a chance and got caught.......you can't really blame them.

I once saw an eBay member who received negative feedback for this.....you never know what will push a person's buttons.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    Yup, definitely learned my lesson. Media Mail + buying a box is more expensive than Priority Mail + free box, so I'm just going to use Priorty Mail going forward. I save money and buyer gets 2nd day.

Edit: The frustrating part for me is that my post office accepted the package and didn't say anything. Would have been nice to have been told the box type has to match the shipping type so I'd have an opportunity to correct.
    Why buy a box?......there are free boxes everywhere.

Every time I am at Trader Joe's or any grocery store for that matter, I am always on the look-out for a nice book-shaped box, and if I see one, I ask if I can have it.

Same thing at work....you just need need to keep your eyes open.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post

Why buy a box?......there are free boxes everywhere.

Every time I am at Trader Joe's or any grocery store for that matter, I am always on the look-out for a nice book-shaped box, and if I see one, I ask if I can have it.

Same thing at work....you just need need to keep your eyes open.
    This is the boxes I buy for shipping:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

I get the 9 X 12 X 3 for $12.75...it only comes out to 51 cents per box. Not bad at all. I hate not having the right sized box when I need it.
    WANTED:

Lettered Danse Macabre
    Marshroots
    Lettered Eyes Of The Dragon
    Lettered The Stand
    BOMC signed Full Dark No Stars
    MM AGOT #249
    Lettered Frankenstein

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The PO does have the right to open Media Mail. I've had to pay extra to receive a slipcase (no book) that was shipped Media Mail.

I now have no need to use USPS boxes for other than Priority. I purchase more books than I sell and simply keep the nice boxes I receive for reuse. I also keep good packing materials. The only thing I have to buy to ship a box is postage and tape.

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

So, yesterday I received my EotD S/L via FedEx, from L.A. I verified with the seller that they were going to wrap it in bubble wrap and surround it in peanuts in a nice sturdy box. They agreed. I opened the box to find some dirty laundry!!! They literally wrapped my book in an old Coca Cola shirt and tossed it in a used USPS box with USPS designations crossed out and FedEx written above. And just to make sure they played soccer with my box, the seller wrote, "please handle gently" all over the box. After sending them a message, they replied, "take it up with FedEx". Needless to say, a case has been filed with Paypal.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by at_one View Post
    So, yesterday I received my EotD S/L via FedEx, from L.A. I verified with the seller that they were going to wrap it in bubble wrap and surround it in peanuts in a nice sturdy box. They agreed. I opened the box to find some dirty laundry!!! They literally wrapped my book in an old Coca Cola shirt and tossed it in a used USPS box with USPS designations crossed out and FedEx written above. And just to make sure they played soccer with my box, the seller wrote, "please handle gently" all over the box. After sending them a message, they replied, "take it up with FedEx". Needless to say, a case has been filed with Paypal.
    You don't say if the book suffered damage or not. How was the book itself?

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Poor shipping pisses me off, but poor shipping AFTER I double-check to ensure that the packaging be solid and plentiful makes me homicidal. I hope you get it worked out.

Country
    Country Flag

I bought a Cujo 1st/1st in NF+ condition for $25. I asked the seller to package it carefully. They put it in a padded envelope.

It arrived all beat up; crushed spine ends and all corners bumped. The seller apologized and issued a refund saying, "You even asked me to package it carefully."

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I bought a Cujo 1st/1st in NF+ condition for $25. I asked the seller to package it carefully. They put it in a padded envelope.

It arrived all beat up; crushed spine ends and all corners bumped. The seller apologized and issued a refund saying, "You even asked me to package it carefully."
    Funny. This seems more like ignorance than laziness/neglect.

I bet 99% of people on here would think they were doing a tremendous job their first time shipping a guitar or an amp. All those packing peanuts and reinforced corners won't save you from a negative feedback unless you loosen the strings and pull the tubes out first.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

A few years ago i bought Knowing Darkness, it arrived in a completely destroyed box, inside absolutely no packing material arround the book. But a big surprise..... only the slipcase had minimal damages....

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post

I bet 99% of people on here would think they were doing a tremendous job their first time shipping a guitar or an amp. All those packing peanuts and reinforced corners won't save you from a negative feedback unless you loosen the strings and pull the tubes out first.

I shipped Taylor Cujo guitar to Canada and it arrived in perfect condition. I did however research how to properly package a guitar. The sad part on some books is that even if you get your money back, something of value to the collecting community has been damaged/destroyed. Money grows on trees, but a Taylor Cujo guitar (The Plant, a rare King proof etc.) can not be replaced.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

I shipped Taylor Cujo guitar to Canada and it arrived in perfect condition. I did however research how to properly package a guitar. The sad part on some books is that even if you get your money back, something of value to the collecting community has been damaged/destroyed. Money grows on trees, but a Taylor Cujo guitar (The Plant, a rare King proof etc.) can not be replaced.
    That is the tragedy exactly. The Cujo was fine except for slightly dirty page edges prior to the mishap. Now it's a reading copy.

I felt really bad about it. I realize it wasn't a Cujo guitar or rare proof, which would magnify the bad feeling, but still it was a collectible book that is no longer collectible.

I also think it was ignorance on the seller's part. She simply didn't know any better.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

I remember a few years back when Shibus (was it him?) sold a GUNSLINGER proof to Bob (?) and it got damaged in the shipping...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I have probably posted this already.......but I keep the following in an email draft and copy and paste it into every Paypal transaction where I send money....

Please ship in a sturdy cardboard box big enough to allow for at least two inches of padding (foam peanuts, bubblewrap, etc.) on all sides of the book. Please pack tightly so book can't move at all once box is sealed. Condition is VERY important to me. THX

I then CONTACT SELLER, and send them the exact same thing....except I add Feedback will be left upon receipt (I don't put that in the first contact because there is a limited number of characters that will show up in the Paypal note email).

The reason for the "double contact" is that I have had sellers tell me "I did not see the note in the Paypal transaction (even though it comes through in the email).

Remember folks, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Just sent a poster via priority mail - tracking number and all that, and it's stopped dead in its tracks and nobody knows what's up...

It's not a major loss - I'd lose the $40 profit of the sale but I'd get $50 back that covers my actual cost.

But it's so frustrating! We just think the tracking number basically ensures no problems, and nope! Gone and nobody can figure it out and with the USPS there's not much to be done...it's not like it's Fed-Ex that can find individual packages. But it's not like this was an envelope - it was a big tube.

Anyway - lame.

Going off what Tippy just posted, I should have put an invoice inside the tube with name/address - I just forgot. But obviously if the bar code is torn off or address label lost, that would be a problem. So just be aware people!

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I have an open Paypal dispute so I dont want to comment too much, but the book has arrived in worse condition than it left the shipper. AND, it was not FedEx's fault.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I have an open Paypal dispute so I dont want to comment too much, but the book has arrived in worse condition than it left the shipper. AND, it was not FedEx's fault.
    So stupid - a several-hundred dollar sale, and they don't want to take extra care with the most important part. Baffles me, it really does.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    So stupid - a several-hundred dollar sale, and they don't want to take extra care with the most important part. Baffles me, it really does.
    No doubt. Bubble wrap+peanuts+a decent box would be $20 MAX.....why not spend the extra couple bucks to insure it gets to it's destination safe?

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I think one of the worst parts of at_one's experience is the fact that it was an EOTD. It's such a big impressive book that you really look forward to receiving once you've finally pulled the trigger on buying it. What a colossal let-down to open up the box and see a smelly t-shirt for packing material and a damaged book. All that anticipation for nothing. And now just the pain in the ass of trying to set it right. Sucks big time.

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    I think one of the worst parts of at_one's experience is the fact that it was an EOTD. It's such a big impressive book that you really look forward to receiving once you've finally pulled the trigger on buying it. What a colossal let-down to open up the box and see a smelly t-shirt for packing material and a damaged book. All that anticipation for nothing. And now just the pain in the ass of trying to set it right. Sucks big time.
    You pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's a book I have wanted for quite a while, so to see this...

And the book wrapped in these...

Definitely broke my heart. The fact that the book was in worse condition than when it was sent to me was just a kick in the nuts.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Dirty laundry as wrapping...just AWFUL.

I got a book wrapped in old curtains once...that was pretty weird...book was undamaged, I just couldn't believe it was curtains around the book.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast