Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Packaging Jobs - Shipping issues - Why???

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Bad Packaging Jobs - Shipping issues - Why???

I recently purchased a lot of 5 books off of ebay and when it arrived I was shocked at how shoddy the packaging was. The seller had half-assedly constructed his own box by cutting one box down and then taping it together with loose pieces of cardboard to make a smaller box. The first thing that jumped to my mind when I saw it was that it was a Franken-box. I half-expected an angry group of pitchfork-wielding villagers to come busting into my apartment to slay the monstrous package. There was a big tear down one edge of it that I could easily see the books through and inside of the Franken-box the books were tossed in loose and unprotected except for 2 blocks of coarse foam to take up the small amount of extra space. Did the seller really pack those books up, slap a shipping label on it, and think to himself 'yup, I've done a good job here?' Unbelievable.

I also bought a 1st edition copy of IT off of ebay recently and it came loose in a box wrapped in a single layer of tissue paper. Oh ya, that's going to protect this book from damage when the mailman literally throws the package in the back of his truck and then drops a heavy-ass box full of steel plates or something on top of it. I think this seller should take my money and invest it into his brilliant 'single-sheet-tissue-paper-protection' idea. Maybe a tissue paper airbag system for cars? How about tissue paper football helmets?

Anybody else have any funny, but not funny at the same time bad packaging stories?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask anyone here that has gotten anything from me... I GO ABOVE the call... I make my packing so good it could literally fall out of the plane, be found, dropped back in the mail, and delivered the way I sent it. I can't stand lazy people and poor packing!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

The biggest culprits I find are from Europe as they think the thin box they use will survive our postal people...nope...
    The envelope, thin box may work in Europe but not here...

Citizen of Gilead Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen a package delivered damaged inside the Netherlands!

All damaged packages are from abroad! Any reason why?

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

No specific seller but I've had some bad experiences with items I bought through eBay's Global Shipping Program. I'm not sure if the sellers were unaware of this, but GPS warehouse workers repack their books etc. they way they see fit. Often that means they'll throw in a few air pillows/packets in the box and remove your packing materials. Last two books I received arrived with three air packets on top of the book and nothing else. Last LP record I received was put back into its sleeve (proper way is on the outside of the DJ in its paper sleeve to avoid ring wear) and corner reinforcement removed.

In most cases the books are packed safely but I don't think I'd trust someone else to pack my books for me. I understand that international shipping is a hassle but the seller is still responsible if the book gets damaged.

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

It is way too common,you're right. I'm very careful to pack everything I sell in order to protect it. Then to receive a total crap job on an expensive book. I have offered the feedback several times to eBay that I would love to see an individual rating for packing of the item -- it's probably the most important thing to me after "item as described"

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    No specific seller but I've had some bad experiences with items I bought through eBay's Global Shipping Program. I'm not sure if the sellers were unaware of this, but GPS warehouse workers repack their books etc. they way they see fit. Often that means they'll throw in a few air pillows/packets in the box and remove your packing materials. Last two books I received arrived with three air packets on top of the book and nothing else. Last LP record I received was put back into its sleeve (proper way is on the outside of the DJ in its paper sleeve to avoid ring wear) and corner reinforcement removed.

In most cases the books are packed safely but I don't think I'd trust someone else to pack my books for me. I understand that international shipping is a hassle but the seller is still responsible if the book gets damaged.
    And thanks for this info. I had no idea that was the case and have sold several items through the GSP. Will have to keep that in mind...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I received books that were very poorly packaged but somehow survived unharmed, but more often than not, lousy packaging results in damaged books.
    This seller wrapped two books in a brown paper shopping bag. This is how it arrived at my door, and the resulting damage:

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

firemonkey, you're lucky you got a box...there're far too many shortsighted and lazy sellers out there that'll be throw a book in a manila paper envelope -- or a slightly thicker Priority Mail one, if they're feeling ambitious -- without any further protection, and call it good. Fortunately, they tend to be more the exception than the rule, but I'm still surprised (and disappointed and frustrated and angered and...) when I receive one.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Not books, but packaging related. Bought a Buzz Lightyear off of eBay for Rose for Christmas. In the box, not loose. The toy box is maybe a foot tall, six to eight inches wide, a few inches deep. A week or so later I get a package at my doorstep.

This box that came was a box that previously held a nightstand. It was fucking gigantic. I open the box ... and all that is in there ... is the toy.

Blew my mind.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

I had a bookstore send me a signed book in one of those envelopes with the weird insulation looking stuff inside. When I received the package it was completely ripped open down one side with the insulation stuff hanging out and no book to be found. That was probably the worst.

Second worst was when I received a box from Spain with the Spanish ASOIAF books with very delicate translucent dust jackets. The seller (who owns a book store) just placed 4 books in a box that was exactly the size of the 4 books with no padding or wrapping what so ever. All of the dust jackets were badly damaged.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Servant of Gan firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66 has a brilliant future firemonkey66's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I received books that were very poorly packaged but somehow survived unharmed, but more often than not, lousy packaging results in damaged books.
    This seller wrapped two books in a brown paper shopping bag. This is how it arrived at my door, and the resulting damage:

Holy shit, this one is baaad. Brown paper as a box? yikes.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    I had a bookstore send me a signed book in one of those envelopes with the weird insulation looking stuff inside. When I received the package it was completely ripped open down one side with the insulation stuff hanging out and no book to be found. That was probably the worst.

Second worst was when I received a box from Spain with the Spanish ASOIAF books with very delicate translucent dust jackets. The seller (who owns a book store) just placed 4 books in a box that was exactly the size of the 4 books with no padding or wrapping what so ever. All of the dust jackets were badly damaged.
    The seller owned a bookstore and shipped them like that? Maybe his store specializes in damaged books...

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What pisses me off more than anything is when I tell them: "I will pay more if you package it well." I get the "not necessary" reply and the promise of good packing, and it arrives in a poorly packaged box. Why?

Gunslinger Apprentice Sovereign is on a distinguished road Sovereign's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

I prefer to weld a steel frame for all of my shipments. In all seriousness though, I've received lots of shipments in first class unpadded envelopes, and they arrived fine. That said, what I believe made the difference was the book itself being tightly bubble-wrapped. So in my experience the wrapping of the book itself, and not the box/envelope used is most important.
    "No two persons ever read the same book." - Edmund Wilson

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

French publishers usually send me books in padded enveloppes. I once recieved a french proof of BLAZE whose envelopped had been damaged with a cutter blade or somehting similar. The book has that same problem, but to this day this is the only french proof of this book that I know of :-(
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post

The seller owned a bookstore and shipped them like that? Maybe his store specializes in damaged books...
    Haha. Well they did end up shipping out a new one and in a box.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

One good thing.. at least they weren't signed limiteds

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

There's nothing wrong with cutting down a box to make it smaller as long as you wrap it properly.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

This is exactly what I was talking about re: GSP. I bought this Neil Gaiman book on December 5th: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252200233148...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT Book was $20, shipping was $15.23, import charges on a $20 book were $6.53. That is a whole different issues but it does reinforce my theory that these import charges are arbitrary/ridiculous etc.

Professionals at the GPS warehouse thought a bubble envelope was sufficient:

Kick me while I'm down, will ya? No cardboard to protect the book:

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I ordered two copies of The Bizarre of Bad Dreams from Amazon.co.uk.

They shipped the books side by side unprotected in a cardboard "box". The package arrived crushed. Both books are now reading copies.

I filed a claim and they sent me two more books packaged the same way!

Out of four books I now have one NF copy and three reading copies.

Why would anyone ship books that way? Especially the world largest bookseller!

I'm tempted to file a return for these two also. I really wanted two nice books not four crappy books.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Servant of Gan DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold DanHocker is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by firemonkey66 View Post
    I recently purchased a lot of 5 books off of ebay and when it arrived I was shocked at how shoddy the packaging was. The seller had half-assedly constructed his own box by cutting one box down and then taping it together with loose pieces of cardboard to make a smaller box. The first thing that jumped to my mind when I saw it was that it was a Franken-box. I half-expected an angry group of pitchfork-wielding villagers to come busting into my apartment to slay the monstrous package. There was a big tear down one edge of it that I could easily see the books through and inside of the Franken-box the books were tossed in loose and unprotected except for 2 blocks of coarse foam to take up the small amount of extra space. Did the seller really pack those books up, slap a shipping label on it, and think to himself 'yup, I've done a good job here?' Unbelievable.

I also bought a 1st edition copy of IT off of ebay recently and it came loose in a box wrapped in a single layer of tissue paper. Oh ya, that's going to protect this book from damage when the mailman literally throws the package in the back of his truck and then drops a heavy-ass box full of steel plates or something on top of it. I think this seller should take my money and invest it into his brilliant 'single-sheet-tissue-paper-protection' idea. Maybe a tissue paper airbag system for cars? How about tissue paper football helmets?

Anybody else have any funny, but not funny at the same time bad packaging stories?
    I think it's great that you called it a Fraken-box. I have a thing I do here where I make a new box out of two boxes and have called them Fraken-boxes for years. Granted the final result is nothing like that. Amazon and Ebay are the biggest culprits of shoddy packaging. Amazon because they are in love with those inflatable air bags, which if the box is over 5lbs will just pop leaving the books with no packaging. Ebay because most sellers don't see books as collectibles and have the mentality of "Who cares if it has a dinged corner, you can still read it"

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I ordered two copies of The Bizarre of Bad Dreams from Amazon.co.uk.

They shipped the books side by side unprotected in a cardboard "box". The package arrived crushed. Both books are now reading copies.

I filed a claim and they sent me two more books packaged the same way!

Out of four books I now have one NF copy and three reading copies.

Why would anyone ship books that way? Especially the world largest bookseller!

I'm tempted to file a return for these two also. I really wanted two nice books not four crappy books.
    Same thing happened to me. Replacement copy was also dinged. I'm not going to get new UK releases from them anymore. With Amazon's volume I would imagine they just package in a way that is most economical and fastest.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I've had the same issue recently except my book was purchased from an Ebay auction and seller drop shipped from Amazon. A new fad on EBay. I wish EBay would make the seller announce if the item is drop shipped or in hand.

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have decided that my local post office has mounted a conspiracy against me. I am forever getting damaged boxes, but I blamed it on just usual USPS crap. Today I got this envelope from Chris (CWalker). He did a great job of putting lots of extra cardboard inside to protect the contents (it was an FK broadside).

And still, I get this:

I swear they are doing it on purpose! Don't bend, just mangle, run over, and beat it to hell. *sigh*

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast