Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Green Mile (The Two Dead Girls) World's True 1st Edition.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Default The Green Mile (The Two Dead Girls) World's True 1st Edition.

The Green Mile (The Two Dead Girls) 1st U.S.A. Edition went on sale March 27 1996.

La Ligne Verte (Deux petites filles mortes) French 1st edition paperback went on sale March 14th 1996.

But the True 1st Edition was a S'erie Limit'ee Hardcover (un-priced)released FEB 28 1996 almost a full month before the U.S.A. edition. This numbered limited edition (1of 000. total # unknown) also included a facsimile note and Stephen King signature.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

This is the true 1st Edition...

And it has a real signature...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't chase "World's First" editions. US first editions are generally the most collectible.

After a chance for discussion, I'm going to move/merge this thread in a day or two.

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

The only "World First Edition" I collected in my first time collecting years ago was the Geralds Game UK BCA edition, which I've since sold, however this time I have no interest in collecting it again.
    ~Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post

I think you will find that is considered a proof & not available to the general public (Be it French or other wise.)

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I don't chase "World's First" editions. US first editions are generally the most collectible.

After a chance for discussion, I'm going to move/merge this thread in a day or two.
    Just because YOU don't "CHASE" World First Editions... Does not change what it is. GENERALLY SPEAKING.
    Spoiler:
    Also correct me if I'm wrong..... But I think you have members from ALL OVER THE WORLD?

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Another interesting "world first edition" is the german bootleg edition of ES, which, I believe, was published 6 months prior to the US release.

As well as the translation of BAD LITTLE KID, published a year and half prior to the original text. There were 30 printed french copies given away during a contest, and I own one of those which is slightly different from the ebook version.
    I have never heard of any official printed german version?
    Pictures >>> http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post851095
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

And like the French La ligne verte the GERMAN over the counter paperback "ES" was also out before the U.S.A. release.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To me still the first edition of any King book is the first US edition, because King is a US writer.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    To me still the first edition of any King book is the first US edition, because King is a US writer.
    I generally agree. When I think first edition I think of the first trade edition in the language of the author. That edition usually being published in the author's own country.

There are many categories that can be created though if one broadens the definition.

I can see world first as a category. I would not call that true first though. Especially if the book, like ES, is a bootleg publication.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The provenance I got with my copy shows it was sent out by Dutton Signet to the winner of the contest on August 29, 1996, far from the initial release date of the book itself.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I generally agree. When I think first edition I think of the first trade edition in the language of the author. That edition usually being published in the author's own country.

There are many categories that can be created though if one broadens the definition.

I can see world first as a category. I would not call that true first though. Especially if the book, like ES, is a bootleg publication.
    Legal or illegal the limited "ES" was still the 1st edition to go on sale (an apple rotten or not is still an apple) and that still leaves the Heyne (Who had the rights & may have jumped the gun) paperback edition.
    Spoiler:
    "BROADEN THE DEFINITION?" I think you mean NARROW the definition to 1st U.S. EDITION.
    O.K. lets take Henry Miller (American Writer) 1891-1980 wrote SEXUS in 1949 in Calif. U.S.A. This book was banned here & only printed in France & Japan and was not published here until 1965. So what are you telling me is that the U.S. 1965 printing is the TRUE 1st?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Legal or illegal the limited "ES" was still the 1st edition to go on sale (an apple rotten or not is still an apple) and that still leaves the Heyne (Who had the rights & may have jumped the gun) paperback edition.
    Spoiler:
    "BROADEN THE DEFINITION?" I think you mean NARROW the definition to 1st U.S. EDITION.
    O.K. lets take Henry Miller (American Writer) 1891-1980 wrote SEXUS in 1949 in Calif. U.S.A. This book was banned here & only printed in France & Japan and was not published here until 1965. So what are you telling me is that the U.S. 1965 printing is the TRUE 1st?
    ES is the world's first publication of IT by a thief. It isn't the first edition. It isn't the first trade edition. It isn't the first world edition. It isn't the true first edition. It is only the first bootleg edition. That in itself makes it unique. No use trying to make it more than it is.

As far as Henry Miller is concerned, he would have published in the US if the book wasn't banned.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

All I can tell you is I bought both of these books in Germany in July of 1986.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If it's in German, what the use? It's not the original text.

If an album or a movie is leaked online weeks or months before its official release date, do we have to consider the leak the official release then?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I agree. Why are we talking about foreign books here.

Because they exist and are written by King?

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree. Why are we talking about foreign books here.
    Because not everybody here lives in an english-speaking country and some of us collects "foreign" editions.
    I agree that bootleg editions are a discussion (and I agree with the movie online leakings), but besides the discussion of what book is exactly the true "world first edition", I personally believe that those books are interesting.
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I would never consider a bootleg a true first edition. However the French version of The Two Dead Girls I would consider the true first edition. It was the first official release sold to the public, regardless of language, I would think that makes it a true first edition. However with that said it could be arguable, as the text was originally written in English, the US (or UK, or Aussie, which ever came first) edition could also be considered the true first as it would be the first published edition of the finished text in the language written by the author. The country of publishing I don't think matters, but the language could. Tough call... definitely open to interpretation.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Also, Edition Phantasia has adamantly stressed on their website that their limited edition of ES is not a bootleg (as is commonly stated here in the US). I can't recall the details but they claim they had the rights to publish the book. They used to have an English language version of their website but I cannot find it right now. Maybe one of our German speaking members like Frank (stockerlone) can direct us to their explanation of how the book came to be published and the subsequent difficulties.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Also, Edition Phantasia has adamantly stressed on their website that their limited edition of ES is not a bootleg (as is commonly stated here in the US). I can't recall the details but they claim they had the rights to publish the book. They used to have an English language version of their website but I cannot find it right now. Maybe one of our German speaking members like Frank (stockerlone) can direct us to their explanation of how the book came to be published and the subsequent difficulties.
    I think I recall reading a while back that it had something to do with a breach of contract involving the earlier release. I could be wrong though.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I think I recall reading a while back that it had something to do with a breach of contract involving the earlier release. I could be wrong though.
    I don't remember the specifics either. But they answered the question with a rather lengthy essay that was permanently accessible on their website and definitely readable in English. I just can't seem to find it now.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I found this on an archived version of their site:

A limited edition of Stephen Kings NEBEL (THE MIST) was illustrated by Herbert Brandmeier, who also illustrated and signed DAS NACHTMEER (THE NIGHT OCEAN), a collection by H. P. Lovecraft featuring severel stories unpublished in Germany. Due to difficulties with the author, NEBEL was taken back by King's German mass market publisher; a large part of the printrun of 500 copies were destroyed, although it was not - as often quoted by American sources, not the least Stephen King himself - a bootleg edition. Because of that (and for being the world-only seperate edition of THE MIST) it is by now the most thought-after and expensive book Edition Phantasia has ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I found this on an archived version of their site:

A limited edition of Stephen Kings NEBEL (THE MIST) was illustrated by Herbert Brandmeier, who also illustrated and signed DAS NACHTMEER (THE NIGHT OCEAN), a collection by H. P. Lovecraft featuring severel stories unpublished in Germany. Due to difficulties with the author, NEBEL was taken back by King's German mass market publisher; a large part of the printrun of 500 copies were destroyed, although it was not - as often quoted by American sources, not the least Stephen King himself - a bootleg edition. Because of that (and for being the world-only seperate edition of THE MIST) it is by now the most thought-after and expensive book Edition Phantasia has ever done.
    Did they just say that KING himself said that NEBEL (The Mist) IS NOT A BOOTLEG EDITION?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

No, just the opposite. The publisher says it is not a bootleg, contrary to what King has been quoted as saying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast