Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Great Music - Nomination & Discussion Thread #4 (1960-1964)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Martha and The Vandellas - Heat Wave (1963)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love (1962)
    Seconded

Country
    Country Flag

Only three spots left I won't second again but I do have one final surf rock nom, just for kicks.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

There are still many good ones left!!

Sam Cooke - Having a Party (1962)

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Patsy Cline - Crazy (1961)
    2ND, had to be done!

Country
    Country Flag

Dick Dale and His Del-Tones - The Wedge (1963)

The Impressions - It's All Right (1963)

Country
    Country Flag

I can keep this going all night but I'll just one more:

Del Shannon - Keep Searchin' (We'll Follow the Sun) (1964)

Country
    Country Flag

One two spots left, so selfishly I hope Louis Armstrong's "Hello, Dolly" and The Drifters's "This Magic Moment" get seconded. But there are other great tunes available as well, of course. We couldn't get them all in.

The Drifters - Up on the Roof (1962)

I got three more great ones left right now....

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Can't believe no one nominated:

The Drifters - This Magic Moment (1960)
    2nd.

Only one spot left!

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

The Four Seasons - Walk Like a Man (1963)

Skeeter Davis - The End of the World (1963)

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Right, it's time I closed this thread!

Fats Domino - Walking to New Orleans (1960)
    SECONDED and done!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Gah, no Louis Armstrong?

Country
    Country Flag

Here are some stats:

Nominations by year:
    • 1960: 14 (12.50%)
    • 1961: 21 (18.75%)
    • 1962: 28 (25%)
    • 1963: 23 (20.54%)
    • 1964: 26 (23.21%)

Most nominations by artist:

• Ray Charles

• Elvis Presley
    • Patsy Cline
    • Roy Orbison
    • The Beatles
    • The Drifters

• Brian Hyland
    • Dick Dale and His Del-Tones
    • Dion
    • Neil Sedaka
    • Ricky Nelson
    • Solomon Burke
    • The Beach Boys
    • The Supremes

Gah, no Louis Armstrong?
    I know! I like Hello Dolly but I don't love it as much as What a Wonderful World which, I was a dunce for not nominating. I did not think that song had come out in the 60's. I thought it was a much older track and that someone else would nominate it. I'll try not to whine too much about songs that didn't make it but this one (What a Wonderful World) is the only one so far that didn't make it that I think had a chance to win the whole thing.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I have no idea how I missed nominating "What a Wonderful World". Just spaced, I guess. But I felt "Hello, Dolly" was a great replacement. Probably his second best. Very iconic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello,_Dolly!_%28song%29
    "Hello, Dolly!" won the Grammy Award for Song of the Year in 1965, and Armstrong received a Grammy for Best Vocal Performance, Male.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Right, it's time I closed this thread!

Fats Domino - Walking to New Orleans (1960)
    SECONDED and done!!!
    Nice Choice!

Here some good ones I didn't nominate:

Ray Charles - Busted

LITTLE EVA - LOCOMOTION 1962 (HQ)

The Casades Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain

GARNET MIMMS-CRY BABY

Jimmy Soul - If you wanna be happy

Little Peggy March - I will follow him (best version)

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ray Charles - Busted

GARNET MIMMS-CRY BABY

I'm confused? Three of these were nominated and seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

"The Loco-Motion" really should've been in the running. Such a distinct early '60s sound, as well as "I Will Follow Him". What can I say, I'm a sucker for good catchy pop songs, so watch out, I'll be doing some funky ones in the late '90s (yes, Britney Spears).

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

Ray Charles - Busted

GARNET MIMMS-CRY BABY

I'm confused? Three of these were nominated and seconded.
    Nah, you're not confused. Obviously I am. Sorry about that. It was late (early).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast