Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Music - Nomination & Discussion Thread #2 (1950-1954)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Great Music - Nomination & Discussion Thread #2 (1950-1954)

It's time! This thread will serve to nominate and discuss the tracks for the tournament that were released between January 1, 1950 and December 31, 1954. Keep in mind that your nomination must have been initially released within this time-frame. Singles can often be released earlier or later than the album, so double check things like Wikipedia. When nominating and seconding, please follow these guidelines:
    • You can nominate one track per post, and you can nominate another track after one other member has made their nomination (per thread).
    • You can second one track per post, and you can second another track after one other track has been seconded (per thread).
    • Each nomination should be supported by a video, illustrating the song being nominated.
    • The video must be the version of the track being nominated (so no live versions, covers, re-recordings, or remixes).

To reiterate from the announcement post, to make a nomination, please use the following format: ARTIST - TITLE (YEAR). A nomination should also be supported by a video, illustrating the song being nominated (though not necessarily the song's official video, especially if it contains a lengthy pre-song scene). Most tracks can be found on YouTube, and that's preferred, but other video hosting services can be used, which can be embedded with your nomination. If you can't find your pick, send me a PM and I will try to locate it for you. However, please do not simply post a link or embed the video so it appears on the page. Since there will be lots of nominations per page and lots of videos, this will be too much to handle for most computers, slowing down the page tremendously. So to make your nomination, please hide the embedded video using the SPOIL tags (using this spoiler option: ) Don't forget to remove the s in https when embedding YouTube links. Also, the youtu.be sharing shortcut will not work. We need the full address (just without the s in https).

All you need to do is first click the "Insert Video" icon: . Paste your YouTube link, remove the s in https and click OK. The link should stay selected, so click the black SPOIL button, enter your ARTIST - TITLE (YEAR) into the field which appears, click OK, and you're done.

To illustrate, a sample nomination should look like this (and this track is not eligible, since it's from 2015):

Teminite - Are You Ready (2015)

Or, simply use the below template (fill in the red placeholders):

[SPOIL="ARTIST - TITLE (YEAR)"]
    [video]YOUTUBELINK[/video][/SPOIL]

List of seconded tracks:
    1. The Chordettes - Mr. Sandman (1954)
    2. Tony Bennett - Rags to Riches (1953)
    3. The Penguins - Earth Angel (Will You be Mine) (1954)
    4. Big Joe Turner - Shake, Rattle, and Roll (1954)
    5. Bill Haley and His Comets - Rock Around the Clock (1954)
    6. Muddy Waters - Rollin' Stone (1950)
    7. Elvis Presley - That's All Right, Mama (1954)
    8. Lefty Frizzell - If You've Got the Money (I've Got the Time) (1950)
    9. The Crew Cuts - Sh-Boom (Life Could Be a Dream) (1954)
    10. Teresa Brewer - Music! Music! Music! (1950)
    11. Patti Page - The Tennessee Waltz (1950)
    12. Hank Williams - I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive (1952)
    13. Hank Snow - I'm Moving On (1950)
    14. Gene Kelly - Singin' in the Rain (1952)
    15. Patti Page - The Doggie in the Window (1953)
    16. Jackie Brenston - Rocket 88 (1951)
    17. Patti Page - Changing Partners (1953)
    18. Bill Haley and His Comets - Crazy Man, Crazy (1953)
    19. Erroll Garner - Misty (1954)
    20. Hank Williams - Hey, Good Lookin' (1951)
    21. Muddy Waters - Hoochie Coochie Man (1954)
    22. The Dominoes - Sixty Minute Man (1951)
    23. Duke Ellington - Satin Doll (1953)
    24. Hank Williams - Your Cheatin' Heart (1953)
    25. Clyde McPhatter and The Drifters - Money Honey (1953)
    26. Nat King Cole - Unforgettable (1952)
    27. Perry Como - Papa Loves Mambo (1954)
    28. The Four Lads - Istanbul (Not Constantinople) (1953)
    29. Phil Harris - The Thing (1950)
    30. Pérez Prado - Mambo No. 5 (1950)
    31. Ray Charles - I Got a Woman (1954)
    32. Nat King Cole - Mona Lisa (1950)
    33. Judy Garland - The Man That Got Away (1954)
    34. Jimmy Forrest - Night Train (1952)
    35. The Ames Brothers - The Naughty Lady of Shady Lane (1954)
    36. The Weavers - Goodnight, Irene (1950)
    37. Dean Martin - That's Amore (1953)
    38. Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels (1952)
    39. Johnnie Ray - Cry (1951)
    40. Rosemary Clooney - Mambo Italiano (1954)
    41. Ruth Brown - Mama, He Treats Your Daughter Mean (1953)
    42. Eileen Barton - If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked a Cake (1950)
    43. Hank Williams - Kaw-Liga (1953)
    44. Eartha Kitt - C'est si bon (1953)
    45. The Drifters - White Christmas (1954)
    46. Patti Page - You Belong to Me (1952)
    47. Hank Williams - Jambalaya (1952)
    48. The Mills Brothers - The Glow-Worm (1952)
    49. The Spaniels - Goodnite Sweetheart, Goodnite (1954)
    50. Kitty Kallen - Little Things Mean a Lot (1954)
    51. The Moonglows - Sincerely (1954)
    52. Ella Fitzgerald - Angel Eyes (1952)
    53. Dinah Washington - Mad About the Boy (1952)
    54. Les Paul and Mary Ford - Vaya Con Dios (1953)
    55. Marilyn Monroe - Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend (1953)
    56. The Andrews Sisters - I Wanna Be Loved (1950)

List of tracks not yet seconded:
    1. Homer & Jethro - That Hound Dog in the Window (1953)
    2. Mario Lanza - Because You're Mine (1952)
    3. Rosemary Clooney - Tenderly (1952)
    4. Rosemary Clooney - This Ole House (1954)
    5. The Clovers - Blue Velvet (1954)
    6. Charles Brown - Black Night (1951)
    7. Little Richard - Every Hour (1951)
    8. Mario Lanza - Be My Love (1950)
    9. Judy Garland - Born in a Trunk (1954)
    10. Hank Thompson - The Wild Side of Life (1952)
    11. Jo Stafford - Shrimp Boats (1951)
    12. Eddie Fisher - Oh My Papa (1953)
    13. Bud Powell - Un Poco Loco (1951)
    14. The Davis Sisters - I Forgot More Than You'll Ever Know (About Him) (1953)
    15. Ray Anthony - Dragnet (1953)
    16. The Mills Brothers - Up the Lazy River (1952)
    17. Little Walter - Juke (1952)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominating one of those quintessential '50s songs that just ooze early '50s:

The Chordettes - Mr. Sandman (1954)

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mr Sandman is definitely seconded.... it always reminds me of Halloween II (1981)

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Talking of movies....

Tony Bennett - Rags to Riches (1953)

"As far back as I could remember, I always wanted to be a gangster...." 

Country
    Country Flag

Rags to Riches seconded.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

...nothing to second at this point. So I'll nominate possibly the main song that started the Rock 'n' Roll era:

Bill Haley and His Comets -- Rock Around the Clock (1954)

Country
    Country Flag

The Penguins - Earth Angel (Will You be Mine) (1954)

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The Penguins - Earth Angel (Will You be Mine) (1954)
    2nd. I was literally just coming here to nominate this song.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

A brilliant and haunting rendition, that featured in the awesome Christopher Walken movie, Biloxi Blues (1988)...

Pat Suzuki - How High The Moon (1953)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    A brilliant and haunting rendition, that featured in the awesome Christopher Walken movie, Biloxi Blues (1988)...

This actually wasn't released until 1958: http://www.discogs.com/Pat-Suzuki-Pa.../master/391549

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post

This actually wasn't released until 1958: http://www.discogs.com/Pat-Suzuki-Pa.../master/391549
    My bad, I will move the nomination to the other thread....

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, if no one likes "Rock Around the Clock" let's try this one:

Big Joe Turner -- Shake, Rattle, and Roll (1954)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Well, if no one likes "Rock Around the Clock" let's try this one:

Big Joe Turner -- Shake, Rattle, and Roll (1954)
    Seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

"Rock Around the Clock" seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

Somebody nominate something...I've got one waiting in the wings.

[Elvis] thankyouverymuch [/Elvis]

Country
    Country Flag

Thy wish is my command:

Muddy Waters - Rollin' Stone (1950)

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks!

Elvis Presley -- That's All Right Mama (1954)

Country
    Country Flag

Muddy Waters - Rollin' Stone (1950)
    I'm on board with this--seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

"That's All Right" seconded. Now, a little country never hurt nobody:

Lefty Frizzell - If You've Got the Money (I've Got the Time) (1950)

Country
    Country Flag

"That's All Right" seconded. Now, a little country never hurt nobody:

Lefty Frizzell - If You've Got the Money (I've Got the Time) (1950)
    I certainly will second this. Willie Nelson's cover is also bangin' good.

Country
    Country Flag

In the same vein...

Hank Williams -- Kaw-liga (1953)

And just for your listening pleasure, here is a very little-known version of Ronnie Milsap covering this in a live performance where he holds a note for 32 seconds. I don't know how in the hell he did that. Feel free to skip to the 3:55 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xPkjTv3dhI

Country
    Country Flag

The Crew Cuts - Sh Boom Sh Boom (Life Could Be A Dream) (1954)

Country
    Country Flag

"Sh-Boom" seconded, and:

Teresa Brewer - Music! Music! Music! (1950)

Wikipedia says it came out in 1949 but at least three other sources have 1950 (Discogs, Rateyourmusic, and 45cat). Looks like it was recorded in December 1949 and released in January 1950.

Country
    Country Flag

Patti Page -- The Tennessee Waltz (1950)

Covered by at least 100 singers, but I believe this was the original version.

Country
    Country Flag

Gene Kelly - Singin' in the Rain (1952)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast