Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Music - Nomination & Discussion Thread #1 (1945-1949)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Great Music - Nomination & Discussion Thread #1 (1945-1949)

It's time! This thread will serve to nominate and discuss the tracks for the tournament that were released between January 1, 1945 and December 31, 1949. Keep in mind that your nomination must have been initially released within this time-frame. Singles can often be released earlier or later than the album, so double check things like Wikipedia. When nominating and seconding, please follow these guidelines:
    • You can nominate one track per post, and you can nominate another track after one other member has made their nomination (per thread).
    • You can second one track per post, and you can second another track after one other track has been seconded (per thread).
    • Each nomination should be supported by a video, illustrating the song being nominated.
    • The video must be the version of the track being nominated (so no live versions, covers, re-recordings, or remixes).

To reiterate from the announcement post, to make a nomination, please use the following format: ARTIST - TITLE (YEAR). A nomination should also be supported by a video, illustrating the song being nominated (though not necessarily the song's official video, especially if it contains a lengthy pre-song scene). Most tracks can be found on YouTube, and that's preferred, but other video hosting services can be used, which can be embedded with your nomination. If you can't find your pick, send me a PM and I will try to locate it for you. However, please do not simply post a link or embed the video so it appears on the page. Since there will be lots of nominations per page and lots of videos, this will be too much to handle for most computers, slowing down the page tremendously. So to make your nomination, please hide the embedded video using the SPOIL tags (using this spoiler option: ) Don't forget to remove the s in https when embedding YouTube links. Also, the youtu.be sharing shortcut will not work. We need the full address (just without the s in https).

All you need to do is first click the "Insert Video" icon: . Paste your YouTube link, remove the s in https and click OK. The link should stay selected, so click the black SPOIL button, enter your ARTIST - TITLE (YEAR) into the field which appears, click OK, and you're done.

To illustrate, a sample nomination should look like this (and this track is not eligible, since it's from 2015):

Teminite - Are You Ready (2015)

Or, simply use the below template (fill in the red placeholders):

[SPOIL="ARTIST - TITLE (YEAR)"]
    [video]YOUTUBELINK[/video][/SPOIL]

List of seconded tracks:
    1. Édith Piaf - La Vie en rose (1947)
    2. Vaughn Monroe - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! (1945)
    3. Arthur Smith - Guitar Boogie (1945)
    4. Charlie Parker - Anthropology (1946)
    5. Nat King Cole - Nature Boy (1948)
    6. Vaughn Monroe - Riders in the Sky (A Cowboy Legend) (1949)
    7. Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song (1946)
    8. Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five - Caldonia (1945)
    9. Johnny Mercer - Personality (1946)
    10. Dinah Shore - Buttons and Bows (1948)
    11. Guy Lombardo - Managua, Nicaragua (1947)
    12. Perry Como - Till the End of Time (1945)
    13. Perry Como - Some Enchanted Evening (1949)
    14. John Lee Hooker - Boogie Chillen (1948)
    15. Tex Williams - Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) (1947)
    16. Lucky Millinder - Who Threw the Whiskey in the Well (1945)
    17. Billie Holiday - Lover Man (Oh, Where Can You Be?) (1945)
    18. The Andrews Sisters and Danny Kaye - Civilization (1947)
    19. Bob Wills - Texas Playboy Rag (1945)
    20. Judy Garland and The Merry Macs - On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe (1945)
    21. The Andrews Sisters - Rum and Coca-Cola (1945)
    22. Desi Arnaz - Babalú (1947)
    23. Gene Autry - Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1949)
    24. Brother Bones and His Shadows - Sweet Georgia Brown (1949)
    25. Charlie Parker - Ko-Ko (1945)
    26. Bill Monroe and The Blue Grass Boys - Blue Moon of Kentucky (1947)
    27. Bing Crosby and The Andrews Sisters - Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive (1945)
    28. Stan Kenton and June Christy - Tampico (1945)
    29. The Pied Pipers - Dream (1945)
    30. Al Dexter and His Troopers - Guitar Polka (1946)
    31. Jack McVea and His All Stars - Open the Door, Richard (1946)
    32. Roy Rogers - Don't Fence Me In (1949)
    33. James Baskett -Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah (1946)
    34. Earl Scruggs and Lester Flatt - Foggy Mountain Breakdown (1949)
    35. Goree Carter - Rock Awhile (1949)
    36. Wynonie Harris - All She Wants to Do Is Rock (1949)
    37. Frank Sinatra - Five Minutes More (1946)
    38. Eddy Arnold the Tennessee Plowboy - Bouquet of Roses (1948)
    39. Hank Williams - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (1949)
    40. Charles Brown - Driftin' Blues (1945)
    41. The Ames Brothers - Rag Mop (1949)
    42. Peggy Lee - Mañana (Is Soon Enough for Me) (1948)
    43. Carmen Miranda and The Andrews Sisters - Cuanto la Gusta (1948)
    44. Dizzy Gillespie - Manteca (1947)
    45. Jimmy Wakely - One Has My Name (The Other Has My Heart) (1948)
    46. Margaret Whiting and Johnny Mercer - Baby, It's Cold Outside (1949)
    47. The Mills Brothers - Dream, Dream, Dream (1947)
    48. Freddy Martin and His Orchestra - Bumble Boogie (1946)
    49. Roy Brown - Good Rockin' Tonight (1947)
    50. Hank Williams - I Saw the Light (1947)
    51. Thelonious Monk - 'Round Midnight (1947)
    52. Hank Williams - Move It On Over (1947)
    53. The Stanley Brothers - Little Maggie (1948)
    54. Johnny Otis - Harlem Nocturne (1945)
    55. Guy Lombardo - I'm My Own Grandpaw (1948)
    56. Lester Young - These Foolish Things (1945)

List of tracks not yet seconded:
    1. Frankie Laine - Mule Train (1949)
    2. Joe Liggins - The Honeydripper (1945)
    3. Margaret Whiting and Jimmy Wakely - Slipping Around (1949)
    4. Woody Herman - Laura (1945)
    5. Charles Trenet - La Mer (1946)
    6. Roy Rogers - Along the Navajo Trail (1945)
    7. Francis Craig and His Orchestra - Near You (1947)
    8. Eddy Arnold the Tennessee Plowboy - Don't Rob Another Man's Castle (1949)
    9. Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five - Let the Good Times Roll (1946)
    10. Hank Williams - Never Again (Will I Knock on Your Door) (1947)
    11. Bill Monroe and The Blue Grass Boys - It's Mighty Dark to Travel (1948)
    12. Dizzy Gillespie - Groovin' High (1946)
    13. Hank Williams - My Bucket's Got a Hole in It (1949)
    14. The Mills Brothers - Gloria (1948)
    15. Freddie Slack and Ella Mae Morse - The House of Blue Lights (1946)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Guess I'll kick things off and nominate one of the signature tunes of the 1940s:

Édith Piaf - La Vie en rose (1947)

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second Édith Piaf - La Vie en rose (1947)
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Charlie Parker - Anthropology (1946)
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Vaughn Monroe - Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! (1945)

Country
    Country Flag

Let It Snow seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

Nominating quite possibly the very first rock 'n roll record:

Arthur Smith - Guitar Boogie (1945)

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post

Arthur Smith - Guitar Boogie (1945)
    Seconded

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nat King Cole -- The Christmas Song (aka "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire") (1946)

Country
    Country Flag

And I'll second Anthropology, although I slightly prefer Charlie Parker's Ornithology.

Country
    Country Flag

Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five - Caldonia (1945)

Country
    Country Flag

Frankie Laine -- Mule Train (1949)

Country
    Country Flag

Nat King Cole - Nature Boy (1948)

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Vaughn Monroe - Riders in the Sky (A Cowboy Legend) (1949)

Country
    Country Flag

Nat King Cole - Nature Boy (1948)
    Seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Vaughn Monroe - Riders in the Sky (A Cowboy Legend) (1949)

Seconded

Country
    Country Flag

Seconding "The Christmas Song" and nominating:

Jack McVea and His All Stars - Open the Door, Richard (1946)

Country
    Country Flag

Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five - Caldonia (1945)
    Seconded!

Country
    Country Flag

Johnny Mercer -- Personality (1945)

I think it was released in 1945, but charted in 1946; but this era is way way outside my musical experience so I'm not really sure.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Johnny Mercer -- Personality (1945)

I think it was released in 1945, but charted in 1946; but this era is way way outside my musical experience so I'm not really sure.
    Either way, it falls within the time period for these nominations....

And.... It's....Seconded.

Country
    Country Flag

Gene Autry - Buttons And Bows (1948)

Country
    Country Flag

Any reason you chose the Gene Autry version over Dinah Shore? I'll second it, I just think the original is better.

Nominating:

Perry Como - Till the End of Time (1945)

Country
    Country Flag

Any reason you chose the Gene Autry version over Dinah Shore? I'll second it, I just think the original is better.
    Yeah, I made a mistake... I thought the Dinah Shore version was much older but on checking, it was also released in 1948.

Is it too late to substitute the Gene Autry version for Dinah Shore's?

If I can swap the nominations around, the video is here:

Dinah Shore - Buttons and Bows (1948)

Country
    Country Flag

Great, the list in the first post has been updated.

Country
    Country Flag

Guy Lombardo -- Managua, Nicaragua (1947)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast