Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: The Great Music Tournament of 2016

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hopefully.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah we need around 20-25 people to vote in each poll to make this worthwhile.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I think we need more diversity, honestly. It's the same 5-6 people nominating in every thread. The final product will be very narrow.
    Interesting comment, considering that you have only nominated a handful of songs so far. Surely if you were to participate more yourself, you would be bringing some of the diversity that you're seeking?

Just a thought.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think we need more diversity, honestly. It's the same 5-6 people nominating in every thread. The final product will be very narrow.
    A valid point, and one that has crossed my mind as well. I've tried to hit various genres, and it seems others have done so as well. Even in the more modern threads, I've nominated from pure rock to country to sappy ballads, and even novelty, etc.

Overall I think there is a very good mix of music. Not sure why less than 10 people it seems have participated over the stretch of the contest. You'd think that at least Jerome would have been in the game.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Interesting comment, considering that you have only nominated a handful of songs so far. Surely if you were to participate more yourself, you would be bringing some of the diversity that you're seeking?

Just a thought.
    I've nominated a couple, but mostly I'm just losing interest in the tournament to be quite frank.

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    A valid point, and one that has crossed my mind as well. I've tried to hit various genres, and it seems others have done so as well. Even in the more modern threads, I've nominated from pure rock to country to sappy ballads, and even novelty, etc.

Overall I think there is a very good mix of music. Not sure why less than 10 people it seems have participated over the stretch of the contest. You'd think that at least Jerome would have been in the game.
    Yeah, I thought the output would be much higher too. I wonder what it is that isn't speaking to everyone.. maybe going through the hassle of looking for the videos and linking them? I honestly don't know.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I suspect that some folks aren't so musically inclined...maybe.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Good God...did the 85-89 get filled already? I don't see it. I didn't nominate or second anything.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Good God...did the 85-89 get filled already? I don't see it. I didn't nominate or second anything.
    It's here. Only about a third of the way there so far.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

I simply don't see it!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I simply don't see it!
    Here's the link for thread 9 (1985 - 1989) and to a song that I think you will like....

http://http://www.thedarktower.org/p...l=1#post971326

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I simply don't see it!
    Here's a direct link (it's also linked in the first post of this thread): http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...d-9-(1985-1989)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I am just THICK today....thanks.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

The "it's here" in my post is a link as well.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes...I find myself nominating songs I don't like based solely on the fact that I feel the song had an impact on the era. I don't think I have nominated even a single "metal" song...(maybe). I will likely NOT vote for Most of my nominations.
    In my youth I was ALL metal...with a smattering of Billy Joel, Billy Squire, Rod Stewart, Toto and... for some reason The Thompson Twins. I don't think I have nominated a Maiden song. This may come as a surprise to you... but I LOVE Iron Maiden.

Country
    Country Flag

So, just a heads up. Other than the new thread (1985-1989), we still have plenty of work left to do in:

1945-1949: 12 more seconds needed
    1950-1954: 17 more seconds needed
    1955-1959: 31 more seconds needed
    1960-1964: 25 more seconds needed
    1975-1979: 14 more seconds needed

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Yes. It's a shame more people aren't nominating. The polls are filling up way too fast with the same voters voting back to back.
    I'm not blaming people for being excited over the tournament, I just wish more members were involved.

Edit: Of course, then again, more people may make an appearance as the time periods progress. Hopefully.

Country
    Country Flag

So just a heads up, the waiting period for threads #3 and #4 has been decreased to one, like with #1 and #2, since they've kinda stalled and are languishing in a bit of a limbo. This means you can nominate and second again after one other person has made a nomination or seconding.

Country
    Country Flag

Here are the overall stats thus far:

1945-1949: 48 noms out of 56 - 85.71% (12 not yet seconded)
    1950-1954: 44 noms out of 56 - 78.57% (18 not yet seconded)
    1955-1959: 86 noms out of 112 - 76.78% (12 not yet seconded)
    1960-1964: 95 noms out of 112 - 84.82% (30 not yet seconded)
    1965-1969: 112 noms out of 112 - 100%
    1970-1974: 112 noms out of 112 - 100%
    1975-1979: 112 noms out of 112 - 100%
    1980-1984: 112 noms out of 112 - 100%
    1985-1989: 56 noms out of 112 - 50% (55 not yet seconded)

777 noms altogether, which is 53.36% of the total of 1,456.

I think I have my nominations for the 90s ready to go. We are so maddeningly close to finishing up the first 4 threads. I'm kinda surprised out how much the 85-89 thread slowed down.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think I have my nominations for the 90s ready to go. We are so maddeningly close to finishing up the first 4 threads. I'm kinda surprised out how much the 85-89 thread slowed down.
    I literally do not know any more '80 songs. Other than country.

I literally do not know any more '80 songs. Other than country.
    I've got at least a couple dozen more that I want to nominate. I'm just waiting for a few more people to go.

As for picking songs, I've just been going to http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/ and copying their list from each decade into an Excel spreadsheet, then sorting it by year. Then I'll go through and color code all the songs. First I just find all the songs that I actually recognize by title. Then I look for titles that sound familiar that I may have forgotten about. Then I narrow it down to the ones that deserve to actually be nominated.

Country
    Country Flag

Another great resource is http://tsort.info/

Country
    Country Flag

Thread #4 is done, but we definitely need some action in the first three threads, we're pretty close to finishing them as well. Thread #1 needs only 4 more seconded nominations, with 17 not yet seconded. In Thread #2 we need 8 to be seconded and 23 are awaiting on the list. Thread #3 needs 10 and we have 22 nominations to choose from. More can be nominated as well, of course.

Country
    Country Flag

Since we've recently reached our goals in several of the long-ongoing threads (and Thread #2 is close to being finalized as well, while we're well past halfway in Thread #9), Thread #10 for the early to mid '90s will be going up tomorrow morning.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Since we've recently reached our goals in several of the long-ongoing threads (and Thread #2 is close to being finalized as well, while we're well past halfway in Thread #9), Thread #10 for the early to mid '90s will be going up tomorrow morning.

I have entire albums I want to nominate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast