Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: The Great Music Tournament of 2016

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    So I've been working out some math and looking back at my post here. Trying to come up with the best possible layout as far as the voting phase will go. I just wanted to know what you good people thought of the structure. So, what I think will happen, once all nominations are in, the 112-track eras will go through the three rounds as outlined before, ending up with 24 titles at the end, and the 56-track eras (we may need to cut 1950-1955 short, it seems like) will go through two rounds:

112 nominations:
    • Round 1: 16 groups of 7 with the top 5 moving on (80 total)
    • Round 2: 16 groups of 5 with the top 3 moving on (48 total)
    • Round 3: 24 groups of 2 with the top 1 moving on (24 total)

56 nominations:
    • Round 1: 8 groups of 7 with the top 5 moving on (40 total)
    • Round 2: 8 groups of 5 with the top 3 moving on (24 total)

So, heading into the playoffs will be 336 tracks overall. Each of the 14 eras will be going through a one-and-done playoff using this template. This is a ranked template, and tracks will be ranked throughout the first 2 or 3 rounds by the average percentage of votes received. So, this rank will be used to seed them 1 through 24, with the top eight getting a bye into the second round of playoffs.

Once a winner is declared in each time period, the 14 winners will then also go onto a round-robin seeding tournament and a face-off playoff (because just a playoff between 14 tracks seems unfair). The 13-round round-robin will start with all tracks at zero points each facing off against one other track and the winner receiving 1 point and the loser 0. In event of a tie, 0.5 points will be awarded to both tracks. The points earned during the round-robin will determine the order for the final face-off, using this template. In this template the top four tracks are getting a bye all the way to the Quarterfinals, while the others go through a preliminary two-round battle.

I know it sounds daunting and kinda confusing, but at the end of the day I think it will work perfectly. What do y'all think?
    Dude... highlight any changes. Please.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No real change from before, other than more detailed explanation of the playoffs. There is now actually a change from the above, now that I think some more about it. The third round of the first voting phase should actually look like this:

112 nominations:
    • Round 1: 16 groups of 7 with the top 5 moving on (80 total)
    • Round 2: 16 groups of 5 with the top 3 moving on (48 total)
    • Round 3: 12 groups of 4 with the top 2 moving on (24 total)

To make the third round a little more competitive, fun, and less predictable, it won't be one against one, but four against each other with the top two moving to the playoffs.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So we are moving nicely along, and the second half of the nomination threads will begin on New Year's Day, but I would urge everyone to look over the first post in each thread to see what hasn't been seconded yet. Not that everything nominated needs to be seconded, not at all, but each entry is linked to the nomination where you can listen to the song if you missed it or the title is unfamiliar. In a lot of cases you will know the song even if you don't recall the title, or discover a new but great piece of music which you may then second if you believe it belongs on the list as one of the best of the given time period. There have been lots of great nominations not yet seconded, so hopefully something really deserving does not get left behind. On the other hand, do rack your brains and various best-of lists and such to come up with other great tracks not yet nominated that should be. I made a post here with some helpful links.

Country
    Country Flag

Since we are nearing the limit of the required seconded nominations in a few threads now, I think it would be fun if the threads remain active indefinitely and independently of the overall tournament and people keep posting nominations even after the number of nominations has been satisfied. Because there is just so much great music out there, there is no way, even in this sprawling tournament, we could encompass everything. So I would urge everyone not to abandon the nomination threads for each time period, but use them to discuss what made the list, what didn't, and keep posting other great tunes for all to listen to. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm having a blast!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I, too, am obviously having a blast, given my level of participation. I'll be active for the 1980 -1984 time period and somewhat (just a little) for 1985 - 1989. I don't see me being much of a factor at all anything later than that (maybe some country songs). So if anyone is sick of me in these threads so far, you'll get your wish soon enough LOL.

One thing I thought would be fun would be to give all "active participants" one nuke button. Not per thread, but one for the contest. One song you just hate so much you could nuke it from orbit. There are a couple of songs I just hate with a passion. Two I can think of for sure are million-sellers but neither has been nominated so far (thank god). However, I don't know how you could determine who was active enough to get that privilege, as opposed to the person who posted once or twice zapping a song out of the contest. But it's fun to think about!

Country
    Country Flag

I have also been working on scheduling the polls and decided to cap 1950-1954 at 56 titles (I'm surprised it's moving slower than 1945-1949). Therefore, there will be 1,456 tracks overall (the first two time periods with 56 and the other 12 with 112). When all the nominees are locked in, the voting process will be pretty intense, so get ready, because we need to get through a lot of polls, 560 polls in the first three preliminary rounds to be exact. Each round should take about a month to get through. The first two rounds will have 208 polls and the third round will have 144 polls (because the first two time period won't have a third round). The breakdown looks to be like this:

Rounds 1 and 2: 16 polls posted each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (13 times) in chronological order
    Round 3: 12 polls posted each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (12 times), one from each time period

What this means is that the first day the polls go live for Round 1, I'll post polls for all 8 groups of 7 for the 1945-1949 period and all 8 groups of 7 for the 1950-1954 period. Each poll, as usual, will go on for seven days. There will also be an overview thread for each round so that it will be easy for everyone to keep track of things. I understand this may appear overwhelming at first, but I've played around with various numbers, and if we want The Great Music Tournament of 2016 to actually finish in 2016, we need to be ready to do more polls than we're used to doing.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

A few of my very favorite songs are from before 45

Geeshie Wiley - Last Kind Words

Edward Clayborn - Death Is Only A Dream

Leadbelly - Where Did You Sleep Last Night?

Marlene Dietrich - Falling in Love Again

Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland

I just wanted to have a spot for a few older ones (not necessarily in the tournament but listed just for good measure ) but at the moment I can't think of many more than these. Anyone got any goodies from the 30's?

Country
    Country Flag

Those are all great, and I think it's totally possible we could do pre-1945 stuff in similar fashion at a later date.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Those are all great, and I think it's totally possible we could do pre-1945 stuff in similar fashion at a later date.
    Oh No absolutely! I did not mean to suggest that these be included in the this tournament because the parameters were very clearly set.

Country
    Country Flag

I know, and it already came up earlier I believe, so I would definitely love to do something similar for the older stuff.

For the '30s one of my all-time faves would have to be:

Benny Goodman - Sing, Sing, Sing (1937)

Country
    Country Flag

So just like with the recently "locked" 1965-1969 thread, please do continue using the thread to post other great music from the time period, even though the number of required seconded nominations for the tournament has been reached. Keep to the same format, please, one track per post, but no other restrictions (just don't post too many in a row). I'll keep track of them all in a separate list of "other tracks" in the first post of each thread. This way we can keep the music flowing, discuss our picks, the artists, the time period in general, and so on. In time, each thread will collect all of the best music and we can really use them as our definitive greatest music of all time type of playlists for any given timeframe!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pablo, would it be possible to add the spoiler links containing the music videos to the list of songs yet to be seconded?

As each thread grows larger with nominated songs, it becomes increasingly difficult to find videos of some of the songs, especially if they have been nominated mid way through....

Adding the spoiler links containing the videos to the list of un-seconded songs at the start of each thread, should eliminate the risk of some great songs being ignored in the nominating process....

Country
    Country Flag

Actually each entry on the nominated and seconded lists are all linked to the original nominating post containing the video

It's a good way to look through what's been seconded already and not yet, and click on the link if something looks unfamiliar.

Country
    Country Flag

As predicted, the nominations starting with 1980 are coming in fast and furious, just as I'd thought, since most of us are more familiar with those tunes rather than older classics. I hope nobody minds then that going forward I'll be opening up a new thread only once the previous has been locked (meaning 112 secondings have been made). It'll probably prolong the process a little but we have time

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fine by me. Good job running this show so far!

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Fine by me. Good job running this show so far!
    + 1

Country
    Country Flag

I just realized I had forgotten to update the overall stats as I had the first two weeks of the tournament. I guess it just got away from me during the holidays, apologies.

So, through one month here are the stats:

1945-1949: 41 noms out of 56 - 73.21% (13 not yet seconded)
    1950-1954: 36 noms out of 56 - 64.29% (14 not yet seconded)
    1955-1959: 73 noms out of 112 - 65.18% (15 not yet seconded)
    1960-1964: 83 noms out of 112 - 74.11% (33 not yet seconded)
    1965-1969: 112 noms out of 112 - 100%
    1970-1974: 112 noms out of 112 - 100%
    1975-1979: 82 noms out of 112 - 73.21% (54 not yet seconded)
    1980-1984: 64 noms out of 112 - 57.14% (40 not yet seconded)

603 noms altogether, which is 41.41% of the total of 1,456.

Country
    Country Flag

Thread 9?

Country
    Country Flag

Coming soon!

Country
    Country Flag

Coming soon!
    I'm about to go out for a couple of hours, so I might miss the start... If the thread starts in my absence, could you please nominate this on my behalf right from the get go?

U2 - With Or Without You (1987)

This song would count as my nomination, so you would still be able to nominate a song straight afterwards and I would have to wait for two other songs to be nominated before nominating another....

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, my friend!

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like the nominations are flying. As I keep updating the list, more noms and seconds appear. Will everyone be pissed if we go up to three for the waiting period as originally intended?

Country
    Country Flag

Fine with me.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Yea, we are starting to get into the time periods a lot of us grew up in and are intimately familiar with. My list of songs I want to nominate grows with each new thread.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think we need more diversity, honestly. It's the same 5-6 people nominating in every thread. The final product will be very narrow.

Country
    Country Flag

Can't make people participate. An announcement banner was made and I have a link in my signature. Plus a separate visible sub-forum was created. Hopefully more people will turn out to actually vote in the polls.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast