Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Announcement: The Great Music Tournament of 2016

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I preface my following statement by first saying that I understand putting on this tournament is a lot of work. And thank you for that.

But seriously, I am so fucking tired of seeing these threads. Yesterday, I logged in, and I had to scroll through TWO PAGES before I found a normal thread I follow.

If ever there was a fan of the Great Music tournament, and someone who is loving every single second of being a part of it, I am the exact opposite of that.
    I understand those feelings, Shannon. Please indulge us as we are enjoying it. In addition to pablo's work, there IS a lot of commitment by participants... to listen to each song. If the average song is 4 minutes...times 7 songs per group...16 groups per era... comes out to 7.47 hours per era...and the individual participant MAY not be a particular fan of all songs... LOL. My ears often bleed and my faith in humanity wanes... but it is that diversity that introduces me to new sounds... new bands. I understand that folks may not be into music as much as others. Please tolerate us for a bit.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

OMG! Did anyone nominate anything from Metallica's Garage Days in the late 80's? I don't think I did...what a shame.

* Humbly bows and turns in his "Headbanger" card.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    OMG! Did anyone nominate anything from Metallica's Garage Days in the late 80's? I don't think I did...what a shame.

* Humbly bows and turns in his "Headbanger" card.
    If you're talking about the original Garage Days album, then no. I think I only nominated their original songs rather than the covers. If you include their Garage Inc. album from '98, Turn the Page was nominated and is currently moving on to round 4.

I thought about nominating So What but didn't think it would go over well.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

So fucking what... you boring little...

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Baaaa....

So fucking what... you boring little...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry, byt this has been nagging at me. Apparently, I totally missed the posts that lead to "Stated posts" being a viable means to determine a tie. My bad I suppose, but I fail to see the sense in this over an actual tie breaker vote. A "stated vote" is simply a regurgitation of an "actual vote" that has already been cast. In an sense you seem to be allowing folks willing to post in a given poll a second vote over those that simply vote one time. I just don't see that as being fair. JMHO is all. Had to get it out of my system.

There, I feel better. lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's not a perfect system, I agree. But we have been using it for a while now in other tournaments without incident. It's the quickest way to determine a winner. Think of it as sudden death overtime. We did use shorter tiebreaker polls during the preliminary rounds, but to continue using them during the playoffs would inflate our schedule even more, and we're already scheduled to finish in February. So to keep to a tighter schedule and do it as fairly as possible, stated votes are being used, as we've used them in the past. Now, if the stated votes are tied as well, then someone who did not vote in the poll would need to cast a tiebreaking vote, and thankfully we haven't had to do that a lot, only once or twice. This can be time-consuming as it would mean having someone vote, who had seven days to vote in a poll and didn't.

So, I do get what you're saying, and whenever a poll is close or tied, I get very anxious myself, believe me. I'm glad you feel better about it, though. It's always preferable when a poll closes with a clear winner, but a tie means both were worthy opponents.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's cool, Pablo. Like I said I just needed to get it off my chest. Glad you acknowledge the flaws. Go forth and tabulate!!! lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    A "stated vote" is simply a regurgitation of an "actual vote" that has already been cast.

Strangely, this is not always the case.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

A "stated vote" is simply a regurgitation of an "actual vote" that has already been cast.

When would it not? Why would someone vote for one song and then negate that vote by saying they voted for another?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

When would it not? Why would someone vote for one song and then negate that vote by saying they voted for another?

Kinda my point, but whatever TPTB have clarified things. Never mind.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

I cannot account for the behavior of others but I believe it has happened. It seems I remember seeing it when comparing votes to stated votes.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

OMFG!!!! The amount of threads!!!! I have spent at least 20 mins deleting threads about this competition I care nothing about at this stage. You guys only have 20-25 members voting, if you're lucky. Find a better way to do these things. I have participated to a degree, but the overall thread count is overwhelming. If, I posted in as many threads for the HF you would all be, and have been, up in arms!!! Find a better way I'm sure I am not the only one that is exhausted wading through the multitude of threads and duration for these things!!! I like it, but find a a way to limit it a bit!!!! Holy crap, pass the Tylenol!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But they're all in one subforum, right? Just don't go to that subforum. Problem solved.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    But they're all in one subforum, right? Just don't go to that subforum. Problem solved.
    No. They are always in "Unread Messages", which is the issue. Nevermind me I suppose. Just had to get my rant out is all.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hope you continue to vote as we near the end. But if you wish you can simply double-click The Forge icon to mark all threads as read before going to your unread messages. Very easy. Happy Thanksgiving!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I hope you continue to vote as we near the end. But if you wish you can simply double-click The Forge icon to mark all threads as read before going to your unread messages. Very easy. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Very simple solution.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

OMFG!!!! The amount of threads!!!! I have spent at least 20 mins deleting threads about this competition I care nothing about at this stage. You guys only have 20-25 members voting, if you're lucky. Find a better way to do these things. I have participated to a degree, but the overall thread count is overwhelming. If, I posted in as many threads for the HF you would all be, and have been, up in arms!!! Find a better way I'm sure I am not the only one that is exhausted wading through the multitude of threads and duration for these things!!! I like it, but find a a way to limit it a bit!!!! Holy crap, pass the Tylenol!!! LOL LOL

We 20-25 DO count as humans...members even.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

We 20-25 DO count as humans...members even.

I know, of course but I am entitled to the occasional "Rant" no? BTW, got any Tylenol? LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I have been called a "member" many times in many ways.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

OMFG!!!! The amount of threads!!!! (...)
    my old heat is bleeding when I think of how I haven't been able to take more active part in this, which is an absolutely great and perfectly organised event.

I only wish I could turn back the clock, or slow the time somehow - bogged down in my health problems again, I keep feeling sorrier and sorrier that I am missing all the fun. How it could be purposely missed or be a source of resentment, is totally beyond me

...and, as has already been said, there's nothing easier than just double-click on an icon. Meh.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Anyone know if ladysai is OK? She's a regular voter here but has been silent since New Years. Hope nothing is wrong.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes...She is conspicuous by her absence in The Rock and Roll song game as well.

I hope all is well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8