Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Great Music Tournament proposal

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    For more in-depth research, check out this great resource: http://tsort.info/
    Another cool site: http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/
    In researching various songs I'd nominate I found two great databases where to look up weekly chart positions. One is of course Billboard and you can go back to the week of August 9, 1958, it looks like: http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1958-08-09

Another is the UK charts database OfficialCharts, which you can walk back all the way to November 14, 1952: http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...19521114/7501/

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

To be clear about "videos." Some "deep cuts" and older songs have no video; just stills or lyrics...even a single still. I fear songs will be judged by their video rather than their musical content. This would obviously favor contemporary cuts.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No, the videos would be simply to support the music. No official videos necessary and in some cases should not be provided if they (as often happens) have a whole pre-song scene and such. These should be substituted with a simple video of the album version. Also, no live videos please, unless a specific live version is being nominated (of which I can think of very few). Because of course not everyone will have heard every song, videos will be important actually, as a way for everyone to make an informed judgment. Even if you know all the songs, listening to each nominee will provide a way to have a better understanding of just what you are voting for or against.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok... to be clear...when we vote the video is to have NO bearing on our choice...right?

Country
    Country Flag

Exactly. It would only be there as a quick refresher about the track, or to listen to it for the first time, if it is new to you. When the actual voting starts, I would ask that everyone give every nominee a listen to be able to give a well-informed vote. Since most songs aren't that long, 4 minutes on average, it shouldn't take too long and will give you a nice eclectic mix of things to listen to while you contemplate your vote. Even the well-known tunes, like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" hopefully will get a proper spin alongside the other nominees in a bracket so that a person can make their best decision based solely on the music.

Also, not every song, sadly, is available on YouTube. For instance, there are pretty much no Prince tracks on YouTube. There may be on other services that are embeddable with our forum, such as Vimeo, so in these cases we would still need either an alternate video from these services, or at least a link to another freely-accessible site where you can see the video or listen to the song. But there are very few such cases, I would imagine. Prince is just being a dick, I guess. His stuff isn't on Spotify either.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm very much itching to begin the process and the only major thing we still need to hash out is the actual structure of the official nomination process. I am leaning toward a chronological process.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

So a "song" with a single "still" is ok?...such as the one below.

Country
    Country Flag

Absolutely. And very much preferred over an official video.

But for nominations and the polls the videos will need to be hidden under the SPOIL tags (not but ). Like so:

Dio - All the Fools Sailed Away (1987)

This will not overload the page and make your browser weep for mercy, since the video(s) will only load when you open the spoiler.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

But dude...we WANT them to listen. LOL

N/M I see no need to load all the songs you have heard.
    Last edited by Jon; 11-19-2015 at 06:20 AM. Reason: I have "dull skull"today

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, but again, the instructions will be explicit that to vote you will need to have listened to each nominee (honor system, of course).

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes I see... but no need to load it all down the page.

I am on board.

What other issues remain?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I am on board.

What other issues remain?
    Just how to proceed with the nominations. If you look at one of my earlier posts, I laid out how I would like the structure to be, so we would be basically having 14 tournaments back to back Sounds crazy, but I'm sure it will work out great. I will need help and a few folks have already stepped up. So the question remains, do we all just nominate whatever songs from any time period and keep a tally of everything, or do we nominate things in a particular order (such as chronologically).

And I should mention regarding the videos, during the nomination process you would be able to second a nomination without having ever heard of the track, but if you watch the video and like what you hear, you can second. My big thing would only be that people nominate and second only those candidates that they feel are very much worth being in a select group of some of the best songs of the period, and representative or unique to that time. Because while the tournament is shaping up to be pretty huge and a new sub-forum will be created for it, 224 tracks per decade is nothing. I bet everyone could easily come up with 100 great songs per year without too much work.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes...I read your earlier post. My thoughts...

A thread titled

"Nominations for the period of 1945 -1950."

A separate thread titled

"Nominations for the period of 1950 - 1955."

ect

After a stated time period, the top nominees can be collected and the nomination threads sent to the clearing at the end of the path.

Then Bill can tally it all because we all know how Bill LOVES these tournaments!!

Country
    Country Flag

That's actually rather perfect. It will be pretty chaotic, at least at first, but should be super fun. Just to reiterate, the first period of the '40s would be limited to 56 nominees only. Each other 5-year period will be at 112. I think making it any larger will be too much and we'll be here all year

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

You may want to limit ALL periods...to some degree. I fear, though, a good song may be lost simply because someone is busy.

Just thinking out loud here.

Country
    Country Flag

Well the limiting is always a big subject. I was thinking of implementing a rule where you must wait for several nominations before making another nomination, not being able to second more than one nomination at a time, and having to wait for several secondings before seconding something else. The exact numbers I'm not sure about, because on the one hand we'd want this to go pretty swiftly (we will need 1,512 seconded nominations overall, which is a lot), but on the other hand, too many or too long of a restriction can stall the process too much.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Well a time and number limit is possibly in order. I suspect you will not reach the "number of nominations" limit in some periods. I have only one intention or the entire '50's. (Sleep Walk - 1959 by brothers Santo & Johnny Farina.)

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure we can come up with oodles of '50s songs. That's when rock 'n roll was born! And yeah, that's an awesome song!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes... it's just my taste.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to be clear in a particular circumstance... cover tunes... An example of an odd situation is the popular The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

If I understand your earlier post...
    First recorded in 1939 by Solomon Linda and The Evening Birds in 1939...

It would be disqualified by virtue of it's original release date of 1939 despite the WILDLY popular 1961 version by "The Tokens".

The two cuts are VERY different!
    In a another case....Whiskey in the Jar is an old Irish folk song. No one knows the composer and EVERYONE covered it.This version by The Dead is very different from Thin Lizzy's version.

I posit a cover song stand on it's own during it's own time period.

Country
    Country Flag

Of course. Covers are songs like any other. Some are much better known than originals.

A nomination would need to be made in the format: ARTIST - TITLE (YEAR).

Country
    Country Flag

Also, there should be no limits for the number of nominations per artist or album. So if someone wants to nominate every song from Nirvana's Nevermind, and they all get seconded, that's fine. And it's only one of the best albums of all time.

Country
    Country Flag

So we should be all set to begin shortly then. RF has already opened up a dedicated sub-forum here, so it's all neat and tidy. With Thanksgiving coming up, I think we can begin after that. Prior to that, I'll create a big overview thread that will be stickied and serve as the main discussion thread of the whole enterprise and will also lay out in detail what it is we are doing and how to go about everything. Then there will be the 14 nomination threads for each of the periods. Once all nominees that are required have been selected, the real fun begin, but I doubt this will be before New Year's. So January/February 2016, I'm thinking. I still need to work out the actual schedule, but it will most likely be the usual 7-day polls, but probably larger in number than in our past tournaments.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead! - Glascoe

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I have only one intention or the entire '50's. (Sleep Walk - 1959 by brothers Santo & Johnny Farina.)
    But what about this immoral classic, also from that same year:

Miles Davis - So What (1959)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast