Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Scribner acquires most of King's back catalog

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Default Scribner acquires most of King's back catalog

Major Publishing Agreement Includes Print, Digital and Audio Formats To be Published by Scribner, Pocket Books, Gallery, and Simon & Schuster Audio

NEW YORK, October 12, 2015—In a landmark publishing agreement, Stephen King’s publisher of twenty years Scribner has acquired North American and Open Market print, e-book, and audio rights to almost the entirety of the bestselling author’s body of work. The 27 titles in the agreement include classic Stephen King novels such as: IT, Misery, Dolores Claiborne, Christine, Cujo, The Dead Zone, and Firestarter; the novella collections Different Seasons and Four Past Midnight; and the first four volumes of Stephen King’s Dark Tower series (please see attached for a full list of titles). E-book and e-audio editions of the acquired titles will be available from Scribner and Simon & Schuster Audio beginning on January 1, 2016. Print editions in trade and mass market paperback from the Scribner, Pocket Books, and Gallery imprints will follow. News of the agreement was announced today by Nan Graham, Senior Vice President and Publisher of Scribner and Stephen King’s editor.

“It’s a no-brainer, really,” said Stephen King. “Good publishing and good relationships equals happy writers and long shelf life. I know from experience that this group of people—at Scribner, at Pocket, at Simon & Schuster Audio, and throughout the company—values the work I do, and wants to find as many readers as possible for the books I write, both now and in the future. Trusting them with this large body of work is my pleasure. We are excellent allies and good friends.”

“Since we first began publishing Stephen King with Bag of Bones, he has continually challenged and inspired us, bringing to us new and exciting books of astonishing range and variety, that are each and every one an event for reader and publisher alike,” said Carolyn Reidy, President and Chief Executive Officer of Simon & Schuster, Inc. “So after nearly twenty years in which he has energized and touched nearly every part of our company, we well know and understand the strength and power of his backlist, and are simply overjoyed to have this rare opportunity to bring to Simon & Schuster this vibrant and vital catalog of Stephen’s earlier works.”

“As we are daily grateful to Scribner’s Max Perkins for F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway, our successors will be grateful to us for Stephen King, whose books will get under the skin of readers long after we are gone,” said Nan Graham. “Scribner is honored and thrilled to have published Steve for two decades, to look forward to a future of publishing him, and to take on this magnificent backlist. In addition to being one of the greatest storytellers of all time, Stephen King is a stellar citizen of the book world. We love his writing. We love him.”

“For almost the entire course of my long career in publishing, Stephen King has been a towering feature of the international book publishing landscape,” said Susan Moldow, President of the Scribner Publishing Group. “Empires have risen and fallen, but Stephen King has continued to both dominate bestseller and year-end best-of lists. It is a joy beyond imagining to welcome these core titles to Scribner’s venerable backlist.”

“Pocket Books enthusiastically embraces adding these wonderful books to our existing King backlist program which continues to provide robust sales for all of our booksellers in paperback,” said Louise Burke, President of the Gallery Books Publishing Group.

“Stephen King’s support for the audiobook medium is unmatched by any author,” said Chris Lynch, President and Publisher, Simon & Schuster Audio. “From his willingness to publish original audiobooks to his advocacy of the joys of listening to his occasional stints behind the microphone, Steve has been the perfect publishing partner from day one. We are thrilled to expand that partnership.”

In the two decades since Scribner became Stephen King’s publisher, he has written many of his most critically-acclaimed books, from Lisey’s Story to On Writing, from the culmination of the Dark Tower series to Under the Dome and 11/22/63. In this time, he has also won numerous literary honors, from the National Book Foundation’s Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters to the National Medal of Arts, recently presented by President Obama. King’s audiobooks have won multiple Audie Awards, including Best Fiction wins for Doctor Sleep, Duma Key, and The Talisman and Audible Audiobook of the Year wins for 11/22/63 and Doctor Sleep. Stephen King’s short story collection The Bazaar of Bad Dreams will be published by Scribner on November 3.
    Nan Graham negotiated the agreement on behalf of Scribner, Gallery/Pocket Books, and Simon & Schuster Audio with literary agent Chuck Verrill of Darhansoff & Verrill.
    Scribner is an imprint of Simon & Schuster, Inc., a part of CBS Corporation. Simon & Schuster is a global leader in the field of general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for consumers of all ages, across all printed, electronic, and audio formats. Its divisions include Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Simon & Schuster Audio, Simon & Schuster Digital, and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom. For more information visit our website at www.simonandschuster.com

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool. What's left out, if it's "most"?

Citizen of Gilead burial will become famous soon enough burial will become famous soon enough burial's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Cool. What's left out, if it's "most"?
    It seems that they bought rights to Viking's books... and not Doubleday's titles.
    Looking for:
    S/L: "Insomnia" (#117), "Firestarter", "EOTD #98"
    US 1st/1st: "Night Shift"
    Portfolios: "'Salem's Lot", "Cycle of Werewolf" (#192)
    please help me find any #731 or #431

My full Wanted List

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Since they already own everything after 1998, and just acquired almost everything published prior, there can't be much left.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

These are the books covered by the agreement. Some of the Doubleday books had already transitioned over -- Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining and Pet Sematary.
    1. Christine
    2. Cujo
    3. Cycle of the Werewolf
    4. The Dark Half
    5. The Dead Zone
    6. Desperation
    7. Different Seasons
    8. Dolores Claiborne
    9. The Eyes of the Dragon
    10. Firestarter
    11. Four Past Midnight
    12. Gerald’s Game
    13. IT
    14. Misery
    15. Needful Things
    16. Rose Madder
    17. Skeleton Crew
    18. The Tommyknockers
    19. The Long Walk (writing as Richard Bachman)
    20. Roadwork (writing as Richard Bachman)
    21. The Running Man (writing as Richard Bachman)
    22. Thinner (writing as Richard Bachman)
    23. The Regulators (writing as Richard Bachman)
    24. The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower series)
    25. The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower series)
    26. The Wastelands (The Dark Tower series)
    27. Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower series)

At a quick glance: The Stand, The Talisman, Black House, Danse Macabre, Joyland, Colorado Kid, Night Shift

Very cool deal. Can't wait to see all of the new covers and editions for these books, I bet they'll be outstanding.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

You know what this means? The possibility of a unified Dark Tower series!

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    You know what this means? The possibility of a unified Dark Tower series!
    Yep, that was my very first thought!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Unified? But it's already unified, I have all eight book in nice uniform Grant volumes.

A massive, Bible-sized omnibus edition is now a possibility, though!

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Unified? But it's already unified, I have all eight book in nice uniform Grant volumes.
    Yeah I'm lost to on what a Unified set would mean....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

That would be an impossibly large book. Using original Grant page counts (and the revised Gunslinger), it would be 3,946 pages. Adding Wind would wind it up to 4,282. I don't think any binding would be able to withstand that. They could do a nice uniform reissue boxed set, though. But I'm okay with the Grant editions.

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Matching trim sizes, cover artwork for each book that feels unified like the books are part of a set, etc. You'll definitely be seeing a Dark Tower boxset in time for the holidays one of these years for sure.

Brian

There are a lot of people out there who don't have access to the Grant editions.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That is true. I wasn't that excited about this news however that is a good point.

There are a lot of people out there who don't have access to the Grant editions.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I feel sorry for those completists who have to have everything!

Country
    Country Flag

At a quick glance: The Stand, The Talisman, Black House, Danse Macabre, Joyland, Colorado Kid, Night Shift
    Well, The Talisman and Black House were already reissued by Scribner not too long ago: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...read.php?15036

This news does mean there will be a lot of new trade editions for the completist who must have one of everything... definitely trade paperbacks and mass market paperbacks and audiobooks, maybe even trade hardcovers if S&S sees a market for that sort of re-issue. New trade hardcovers could be done for certain titles like The Dark Tower books where most readers don't have the early hardcovers. It depends on how much interest S&S sees from the marketplace for that sort of thing. It could be like their trade hardcover of The Green Mile, which came out years after the paperbacks, for example. Or the way Doubleday reissued the early books in those B&W hardcovers.

In terms of the publishing world, for those who follow more than just SK collecting, this is HUGE news. You rarely see this many backlist titles from an actively writing, still alive household name change hands from the original publisher to someone new. This had to be a monumental deal to work on. I bet Chuck and everyone else involved will need a good, long nap!

Brian

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We have it in France. Well the 6 books, over 2 giant dictionnary-sized unreadable books :p
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not THAT much of a completist. I'll probably pass on the new trade hardcovers unless they REALLY appeal to me for some reason.

John

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Same here. I've passed on a number of recent items for this reason. I'm just not that interested in them.

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I'm not THAT much of a completist. I'll probably pass on the new trade hardcovers unless they REALLY appeal to me for some reason.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I doubt there are many people who ARE that much of a completist, ha! But they might make nice gifts at Christmas time. You'd be surprised how many Doubleday SK hardcovers I sold in November and December in the 1990s when I was working at Waldenbooks. The Stand was really expensive for a trade hardcover at that point, but they made great gifts!

Brian

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would love to see CD do a Dark Tower box set... Is that not a possibility because Grant has the rights to those books?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

I would love to see CD do a Dark Tower box set... Is that not a possibility because Grant has the rights to those books?
    Limited Edition rights are granted for a set print run and/or a limited time frame, usually reverting back to the author pretty quickly after publication. For some authors, this explains why you might have multiple Limited Editions over the years of the same book.

I have no first-hand knowledge of the specific contracts with Grant, but I suspect that S&S or anyone else who came up with a proposal that Steve liked could be permitted to publish a nice hardcover box set. But, on the other hand, no one other than Grant in the US has been permitted to publish any special editions of the Dark Tower series, so Steve might like to keep it that way! It's hard to say what the future might hold...

Brian

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They weren't special editions but there was that limited run of Viking hardcovers done of I-IV.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast