Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: October Halloween recommendations?

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Default October Halloween recommendations?

I'd love to hear of some great spooky books to listen to in the Fall and next coming month. I am all SK'd out so just wondering if anyone has any hidden atmospheric gems that I don't know about.
    Similar to Ghost Story, Hell House, Harvest Home and such.
    Thanks again!

I highly recommend the books above if you've never read them.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

There's this book that I heard was pretty good. It's about a clown that terrorizes kids. Can't remember the title or the author though.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Found it!

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Shannon, that was some of the funniest stuff i have seen all day!! Thank you!!

On topic though, while not exactly a ghost story, my wife and i just finished listening to The Thirteen Hallows by Michael Scott. It was quite good and takes place in the few days leading up to and on All Hallows Eve. Lots of good mythology and story-telling mixed in with plenty of blood and guts, with a plentiful sprinkling of sex.

Worth a listen i think.
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Found it!

Pretty sure the audio is OOP but I'll keep an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    Shannon, that was some of the funniest stuff i have seen all day!! Thank you!!

On topic though, while not exactly a ghost story, my wife and i just finished listening to The Thirteen Hallows by Michael Scott. It was quite good and takes place in the few days leading up to and on All Hallows Eve. Lots of good mythology and story-telling mixed in with plenty of blood and guts, with a plentiful sprinkling of sex.

Worth a listen i think.
    I love sex sprinkles thanks for the recommendation.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Buy my book.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Buy Matt's book ^^

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

What he said ^^^
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    I'd love to hear of some great spooky books to listen to in the Fall and next coming month. I am all SK'd out so just wondering if anyone has any hidden atmospheric gems that I don't know about.
    Similar to Ghost Story, Hell House, Harvest Home and such.
    Thanks again!

I highly recommend the books above if you've never read them.
    If you want a quick read, I really enjoyed A Summer of Fear by Rebecca Patrick-Howard. Supposedly a true story, I thought it was pretty creepy. I'd also highly recommend The Man on the Bench, it's a novella by Robert Swartwood. It had an It vibe to me, and it was another recent one that I read that just had that feeling of dread to it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

One that immediately comes to mind is Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge. It's a quick, but enjoyable Halloween-ish read.

Also, do what Matt said: Buy his book.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Co-signed on Dark Harvest. Another small-press suggestions is Black and Orange by Benjamin Kane Etheridge. I believe it won a Stoker. If not that, Bradbury will do just fine:

Thanks for reminding me about Dark Harvest that's one I definitely wanted to check out but I forgot about.
    I can't believe October Country isn't on audio. That's a bummer.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I only stumbled across Dark Harvest by accident one day, but I really enjoyed it. Now that I think about it, I think I'll aim to do a re-read of it this month.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you want nonfiction, I read The Demonologist last year and really enjoyed it. It covers the career and cases of Ed and Lorraine Warren. It's easy to write off their cases and "experiences" as faked, but man, after reading that book...

A NEW GAME BEGINS

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Doesn't take place on Halloween but I read 'Little Star' by John Ajvide Lindqvist in October and thought it was great.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Have you read Harbor? If you have, is it better than Little Star? I've had that one for awhile but haven't read it yet. Handling the Undead is one of my favorites.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Four Octobers- Rick Hautula
    Trick Or Treat: A Collection Of Halloween Novellas (Gary Braunbeck, Nancy Collins, Riak Hautula, Al Sarrantonio & Thomas Tessier)
    Johnny Halloween- Norman Partridge
    October Dreams CD short story collection
    October Dreams II CD short story collection
    Halloween short story collection edited by Paula Guran
    October Dark-David Herter

For something a bit nastier and more juvenile:

All Hallow's Eve , Once Upon A Halloween and Night In The Lonesome October by Richard Laymon

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Have you read Harbor? If you have, is it better than Little Star? I've had that one for awhile but haven't read it yet. Handling the Undead is one of my favorites.
    I enjoyed 'Little Star' better but the two are pretty different.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

A new illustrated edition of an all time Halloween classic: http://www.amazon.com/The-Halloween-...dp_kinw_strp_1

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Let's Go Play at the Adams' - Mendel Johnson

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Go-Play-a...5385558&sr=1-1

A very, very creepy book!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It's not too late to mention Al Sarrantonio. Has he ever published a non-Halloween book? Ha! I'm reading Horrorween. It's a silly title but it's a cool story; first in his Orangefield series.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    It's not too late to mention Al Sarrantonio. Has he ever published a non-Halloween book? Ha! I'm reading Horrorween. It's a silly title but it's a cool story; first in his Orangefield series.

Haha, I read this last week. You're right, I'm pretty sure all his books are Halloween related.

Along the Path of the Beam Wicked will become famous soon enough Wicked's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Annie Wilkes View Post
    If you want nonfiction, I read The Demonologist last year and really enjoyed it. It covers the career and cases of Ed and Lorraine Warren. It's easy to write off their cases and "experiences" as faked, but man, after reading that book...

After seeing The Conjuring, I'm not sure I can handle that stuff in book form!

My reading comes late at night, when the house is quiet and the Savannah cats have finally stopped their shenanigans (I have 4 of them) and I can go a few hours without having to jump up every 10 minutes or so. Literally the dead of the night. I'm pretty sure stuff does lurk under the bed, I dunno if I need confirmation of it, I'll never sleep!
    “Beyond the reach of human rage..A drop of hell, a touch of strange ...” ― Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Wilkes View Post

After seeing The Conjuring, I'm not sure I can handle that stuff in book form!

My reading comes late at night, when the house is quiet and the Savannah cats have finally stopped their shenanigans (I have 4 of them) and I can go a few hours without having to jump up every 10 minutes or so. Literally the dead of the night. I'm pretty sure stuff does lurk under the bed, I dunno if I need confirmation of it, I'll never sleep!
    I want to see pics of your Savannahs! I've wanted one for a long while.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast