Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Schneider Question and answer-Thread opens 8/19/2015-1PM EDT

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice idea. If this ends up happening I would be interested in one too.

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hello Peter,

Thank you so much for taking the time for the Q&A, I have really enjoyed reading these posts. I feel fortunate to have lettered editions of both The Stand and The Regulators in my collection and hearing about the original concept for the box for The Stand is amazing. I have two questions for you:

1. Unlike most limited editions the S/L and Lettered edition of The Regulators are very different compared to each other. Can you tell us more about the evolution of both?

2. Is there a Stephen King title that you wish you could have made a limited edition for? Even if another publisher made a limited of that title I would love to hear what your concept was/is.

Again thank you,
    Steve
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Great Ray Bradbury story Pete thanks for sharing. On a related note we visited a book restorer/repairer in college and it was the first special edition/odd book I ever saw, I'm not sure if this guy had made it himself but it was a Martian Chronicles that had a plastic rocket like object on the front. I thought it was really really cool.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I was in meetings and missed the whole damn thing; interesting conversations though Peter, thanks for participating. Gerald, once again I can't believe your stuff ... those checks are pretty great.

Should I be the first to suggest that some of those 1000+ original brass plaques, wasting away in a box without purpose in life, poor lonely despondent creeping crud-covered plaques with no-one to love them, make their way out into the caring hands of the TDT.org community? (Nudge-Nudge Wink-Wink)
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    I was in meetings and missed the whole damn thing;
    It's not over. Peter spent ~2+ hours here today.
    He said he will pop back in to answer questions, but for now there is no scheduled time-it's at his leisure.

Along the Path of the Beam PeterSchneider will become famous soon enough

Okay, this is Peter Schneider, and I'm back from mowing 1/3rd of our lawn. But please be assured that I will keep visiting this site and this Q&A and I will answer as many questions as I can. Also, I'll be posing some questions, given that I've been out of the biz so long. I'm sure that someone out there can provide an answer.

I think I've said this before, but I am truly blown away by everything I've experienced today. One goes through life, doing project after project, and it all seems to be a gray porridge at the end of the day. And then one happens on to a site like this, and so many of these episodes come back into clear focus. It's a real thrill for me -- and thank you all.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSchneider View Post
    The last limited I know of that was done by a press other than these three was published by Centipede. I've not held a Centipede edition in my hands, but I've seen a number of them. They are truly beautiful works. I've always tried to publish limited editions with the idea of them being "the book as art -- but with a book as well." And Centipede's work was truly stunning.
    But, I haven't seen anything King-related by them lately -- which I find disappointing. I don't have a clue as to what happened.
    +1 on the Centipede Press observation. 'Salem's Lot is a classy production.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Peter, since you mentioned the Ray Bradbury Moby Dick letter, thought you might like this if you haven't seen it before:

Ray Bradbury Moby Dick Screenplay Lettered PC

WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Okay, this reply is to racerx45. You're absolutely right that the two limiteds are very different -- yet I hope that the two of them share a connection to each book that goes beyond the usual slipcase/tip-in page. I wanted there to be a true connection to the book -- hence, my idea for the "Superflu vaccine" vial in the door of the STAND limited. And with the REGULATORS -- although the numbered editons (the Motokop toy boxes) did not turn out to be as great as both Joe Stefko and I had planned, they still had an intrinsic connection to the book itself.

THE STAND limited was, well, limited to the design specs that we could dictate within the Doubleday design/production oversight. With THE REGULATORS, we had a much broader canvas to use -- especially with the added resource of Joe Stefko. The only complication there was when I called Steve King in Colorado (on the set of his remake of "The Shining") and said that we'd have the signature pages to him within a couple of weeks. There was a second of silence, then Steve said, "Pete, I'm not going to sign these books. Richard Bachman is dead, remember?"

That is what started Joe and I on the long quest to the Bachman checks.

This is to George at C-Springs -- Wow, where did that Screenplay come from? I've never seen it. Would you mind passing on the publisher of this book?

I'm truly amazed that this edition exists.

Thanks, George.

Gunslinger Apprentice KingKorn will become famous soon enough KingKorn will become famous soon enough KingKorn's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired

Hi Peter -

My comments and questions I've been holding for today. I understand that there's quite a lot here, and definitely understand if you only reply to one or two of my questions. Thanks!

In looking at the Hill House production of Gaiman's American Gods (a truly beautiful production by the way), I can see why you comment as you do regarding the current state (particularly of SK) limited editions. There are some very nice ones, and some not-so-very-nice ones out there. By not so nice I assume you mean the overall quality of materials and artistic elements of a given S/L. Please correct me if I'm inaccurately interpreting your comment.

As a newer collector who has little (i.e. no) access to a Regulators lettered or even The Stand coffin S/L, most of my exposure to Limited Editions is via the newer small publishers putting out current limiteds of King's works. Only in branching out my collection to other authors have I had an opportunity to access, and on occasion actually afford, Limited Editions such as those published by Hill House, Charnel House, Land of Enchantment, and others.

There is indeed a difference in what Hill House published as a Limited Edition and what PS, or CD publish as an S/L. Subterranean has a bit of a different product, in my opinion. And Centipede Press definitely operates a different model (their books do seem to be works of art themselves as you note).

My questions for you, Peter:

-- Could you elaborate a little further on your view of the general state of the Limited Edition market?

-- Do you have concerns with the direction that Limited Editions have taken in the years since Hill House has closed it's doors?

I'd love to hear that panel discussion with you and Jeff Conner from Scream Press about how to run put a small publishing company out of business (with that comic but realistic spin, of course). There's so much the two of you surely must've learned in the years between day of 1 of publishing and the day you closed the doors for good. I've heard it put that Hill House published itself right out of business.

-- What are a few of the key things you could share that would help a specialty publisher produce Limited Editions to the standards of Hill House that was, and stay in business over the long haul?

Last comment and question: I love the inclusion of a softback 'Reading Copy' as part of the Hill House limited edition 'package' for American Gods.
    -- How did this softback copy come to be produced and included? Did Hill House include reading copies with other Limited Editions? And finally are you surprised that others have not picked up on this collector oriented idea, making them available with today's Limiteds?

Thanks so much for taking time to engage with us and answer questions today!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Peter, it was published by Subterranean Press ... here's the page link: https://subterraneanpress.com/store/...the_screenplay

It's sold out, but I'm sure copies are available on the secondary market.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you to Mr. Schneider for the Q&A. Awesome questions and answers.

1) Has there ever been a project (King related or not) that you have drawn the line at producing for just being to outlandish?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSchneider View Post
    Okay, once I posted my previous email, I saw that there were a few new ones that had popped up. I'll try to answer them in this one response.

As far as who originated the coffin box for THE STAND, well, that's kind of a difficult question to answer. I can tell you what my original concept for the box for the limited edition was. My first idea was a wooden box, but it would be standing on end with the spine facing out. There would have been a hinged cover (opening to the left), along with a brass plaque with the name on the front. The door would have been a half-cylinder, with the flat edges facing the box holding the book. (Hope you can all visualize this.) So, you'd have a curved door, with a curved plaque on the front -- and there'd be some sort of handle to open the door. The whole idea was that when you opened the door, first you'd see the spine of the book facing you on the right. But when you looked at the inside of the door, there would be a small recess, with a small vial labeled "Superflu Vaccine" sitting within it.

So, I mocked this whole thing up out of cardboard (including the little vial) and took it to my publisher's office for our first meeting about the limited edition. I set my box up (along with samples of other limited editions to use as examples). I then ran through the whole idea, culminating with opening the door and showing the vial. There were a few seconds of silence, then my publisher (Nancy Evans) said, "Peter, are you out of your f**king mind?"

So, I then fell back on my next idea. This was the concept of a "coffin box." However, this wasn't the design that ended up being produced. I envisioned an actual coffin, either the old-fashioned kind with the box narrowing to the feet or the modern kind -- rectangular but with hand-rails. Now I wasn't too keen on either of these concepts, for the simple fact that I felt they would be far better suited for either 'SALEM'S LOT or PET SEMATARY -- but again I was told that this was "too, too expensive." And so we ended up with what you know today -- a rectangular wooden box with a red satin liner. And as far as the wood used in the box, I'm not too sure -- but if I had to guess, I would think it was some kind of pine, given how light it is.

Oh what might have been....
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Default Limited Editions/AMERICAN GODS/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKornKarn View Post
    Hi Peter -

My comments and questions I've been holding for today. I understand that there's quite a lot here, and definitely understand if you only reply to one or two of my questions. Thanks!

In looking at the Hill House production of Gaiman's American Gods (a truly beautiful production by the way), I can see why you comment as you do regarding the current state (particularly of SK) limited editions. There are some very nice ones, and some not-so-very-nice ones out there. By not so nice I assume you mean the overall quality of materials and artistic elements of a given S/L. Please correct me if I'm inaccurately interpreting your comment.

As a newer collector who has little (i.e. no) access to a Regulators lettered or even The Stand coffin S/L, most of my exposure to Limited Editions is via the newer small publishers putting out current limiteds of King's works. Only in branching out my collection to other authors have I had an opportunity to access, and on occasion actually afford, Limited Editions such as those published by Hill House, Charnel House, Land of Enchantment, and others.

There is indeed a difference in what Hill House published as a Limited Edition and what PS, or CD publish as an S/L. Subterranean has a bit of a different product, in my opinion. And Centipede Press definitely operates a different model (their books do seem to be works of art themselves as you note).

My questions for you, Peter:

-- Could you elaborate a little further on your view of the general state of the Limited Edition market?

-- Do you have concerns with the direction that Limited Editions have taken in the years since Hill House has closed it's doors?

I'd love to hear that panel discussion with you and Jeff Conner from Scream Press about how to run put a small publishing company out of business (with that comic but realistic spin, of course). There's so much the two of you surely must've learned in the years between day of 1 of publishing and the day you closed the doors for good. I've heard it put that Hill House published itself right out of business.

-- What are a few of the key things you could share that would help a specialty publisher produce Limited Editions to the standards of Hill House that was, and stay in business over the long haul?

Last comment and question: I love the inclusion of a softback 'Reading Copy' as part of the Hill House limited edition 'package' for American Gods.
    -- How did this softback copy come to be produced and included? Did Hill House include reading copies with other Limited Editions? And finally are you surprised that others have not picked up on this collector oriented idea, making them available with today's Limiteds?

Thanks so much for taking time to engage with us and answer questions today!!
    These are some truly trenchant and thought-provoking questions. I've got to go (Jen is coming home in a few minutes and I need to get ready), but I have many, many thoughts on the points you have raised. If you don't mind, I'm going to think on this through the night (we're on NYC time) and then post a (hopefully) coherent and comprehensive response. I'm looking forward to doing this.

Best,
    Peter

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was in meetings and missed the whole damn thing; interesting conversations though Peter, thanks for participating. Gerald, once again I can't believe your stuff ... those checks are pretty great.

Should I be the first to suggest that some of those 1000+ original brass plaques, wasting away in a box without purpose in life, poor lonely despondent creeping crud-covered plaques with no-one to love them, make their way out into the caring hands of the TDT.org community? (Nudge-Nudge Wink-Wink)
    I would LOVE to have one of those
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Wow- The Peter Schneider?! Here, at Calvin's Corner? This feels like a major coup, Randall Flagg. Fantastic! Thanks for stopping by, Peter. I am thoroughly enjoying reading the questions and responses, and don't have much to add right now, but wanted to say thanks for coming in, and I hope you come back often. I will also echo cit74's invitation to stop by the Neil Gaiman thread (recently, wrongly, banished to a dark far corner of this forum, despite heated opposition; it took a whole 7 seconds to find it- eternity in 'Net Time): http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...-Gaiman/page77. I am on record numerous times here stating that Anansi Boys is certainly one of the finest limited editions ever produced, and is my personal favorite. I've never seen a nicer book, and have always wanted to say thanks for making it. So, Thank you!

Ron
    ...And that is why, Randall Flagg is TMIDITW!!!!!

Spoiler:
    The Most interesting Director in the World!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Pete, I don't think Jerome warned you about us. Most of us here on the bulletin board are crazy!

John

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Pete, I don't think Jerome warned you about us. Most of us here on the bulletin board are crazy!

John
    Well said John!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

This has been a very informative and interesting discussion.

Thank you Peter for taking the time to interact with us.

BTW thanks for The Cat's Pajamas you sold me. Several members here are now enjoying them.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about jsweet has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing all the info!

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Peter, I would volunteer and collect Addresses and mail the plaques if you are so inclined to part with some for the members here! I would mail the to members at my expense and save you the headache. I would love one too

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Put me down for one.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Peter, I would volunteer and collect Addresses and mail the plaques if you are so inclined to part with some for the members here! I would mail the to members at my expense and save you the headache. I would love one too
    +1 from me!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll have Simon's second one

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast