Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Schneider Question and answer-Thread opens 8/19/2015-1PM EDT

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by neo_trinity View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSchneider View Post
    Okay, hold the presses - I just went back and reread Gerald's post about the checks signed by King rather than Bachman. I now remember that Steve King kept the first page of checks (which contained the first three checks -- all checks were printed three to a page, then cut for tipping in to the book. I had not heard of this before now, but it makes perfect sense that Steve would have given this page of three checks to one of his charities. So that's probably the answer to that.
    Thank you for the information Peter. That explains how it came to light. Stu Tinker purchased it at auction, and I purchased it off him. I have always wondered. Thank you.

Gerald

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Slightly off of the King topic but a question about the Lettered American Gods (I do not own one - just the limited) - but that lettered used a wooden box, hinged that opened outward to reveal the book inside. That case sounds similar to the one you described for the original concept of The Stand Coffin. Did you then decide to try a version of your original "stand case" for the Lettered American Gods?
    Thank you,
    Chad

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, here's a trivia question, based on the photo Gerald included of his REGULATORS check signed by Stephen King instead of Bachman.

The check is made out to "The Sharp Company." I assume most of you know what that refers to, right? (A little help -- the Memo is made out "for case of cereal.")
    Cujo?

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Peter, you mentioned the stunned looks you got from your publisher when you tried to include a Superflu vial in the Stand S/L. What was the reaction when thinking of using the Winchester bullets in the Regulators Lettered edition? It's amazingly cool, but I would imagine it took some convincing to make it happen.

Thanks.
    Brian

Along the Path of the Beam PeterSchneider will become famous soon enough

Okay, this is a response to Randall Flagg, in regard to his admiration for the Scream Press editions of SKELETON CREW.

Jeff Conner, who ran ScreamPress and published SKELETON CREW, was and is a great guy. I got to know Jeff back when Scream was just starting out, and he did some truly magnificent books, especially his editions of THE BOOKS OF BLOOD by Clive Barker. And SKELETON CREW was just as good. (This is the one with the zipper, right?)

Jeff and I share a background in that both of us started and ran publishing companies that, due to a variety of factors, ended up going down in flames. (My company was Hill House, Publishers -- we did a number of titles by Neil Gaiman, Neal Stephenson, Ray Bradbury, Terry Pratchett, et al.)

I saw Jeff for the first time in many years at the World Fantasy Convention in Washington, D.C. last year. I jokingly proposed that he and I host a panel called "How to Go Out of Business with Your Small Press." Surprisingly, he thought it was a good idea. (Although the title sounds sarcastic, we thought it could provide some interesting cautionary notes for would-be small presses.)

Unfortunately, the present leadership of the WFC doesn't really appreciate anything that "smacks of negativity," so we won't be doing it after all.

Okay, this answer is to Chad, about the Lettered Edition of AMERICAN GODS.

You are absolutely correct, Chad. I'd always liked the idea of a lettered limited with a hinged door. Once I had the opportunity to do so with my own company, I pulled out my old designs and put them into effect.

A great observation!

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi Peter,

I have a question about The Stand Limited Edition. I have one case with the standard black name plate and another one with a gold name plate. Do you know why 2 different versions were used?

Gerald

This one is to Brian, about the bullets used in THE REGULATORS. One thing to remember, Brian -- THE STAND limited was created in-house by the Doubleday design and production staff. In fact, the designer of THE STAND, Marysarah Quinn, is a close friend even to this day. But, the design and production staff at Doubleday wasn't ready to do something as ambitious as a vial in the door.

However, at Dutton, I hired (and worked with) Joe Stefko of Charnel House to do the production of the limiteds. So I was the only one at Dutton involved in the decision. And when Joe showed me his proposed design with the bullets, I yelled out "Yes" before he had a chance to say another word.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Peter, will you ever be involved with another King limited again as I am SURE EVERYONE here would love to see?

PS: Thanks for doing this... very cool of you!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Okay, back to Gerald re: the plaques on the front of THE STAND.

This is a longish story, Gerald, so sit back. Our original design for THE STAND was for plaques made out of brass to be affixed to the front of the box. After the many months of production, and our approving all the materials, the final finished books-in-boxes showed up. In fact, every one of the 1,302 books were delivered to our management offices at 666 Fifth Avenue, NYC rather than our distribution center in Des Plaines, IL. So, every empty office on the floor was crammed floor to ceiling with these massive books.

I was, of course, eager to see the final assembled product. So I grabbed a box and opened it, then stared at it in dismay. The brass plaque, so bright and shiny when I approved it, was now afflicted with the "creeping crud." In short, there was oxidation showing up around all the edges of the plaque. I started feverishly opening other boxes, only to find the same situation.

It turns out that even the normal moisture in the air was enough to start the oxidation reacting on the plaques. So, we went back to our supplier and told them that we needed replacements for the whole print run. They came up with the final plaques -- brass, plated with black enamel, and the letters scored through to show up in brass. We then had to send all the books back to them for replacements (which they paid for, of course).

When they sent the re-plaqued books back, they also sent me all the original brass plates that they had removed from the boxes. I still have most of these, though I've sent a few out to various people over the years. That must be the source for your original brass plaque.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

"A senior moment," eh? I'm at the age (58) where anything that smacks of "senior" is to be confronted with crossed fingers and saying, "Get thee behind me!"

If you're not in my age bracket, you'll understand when you get there. It's a truly sad thing.
    I'm 70, so I know whereof I speak! (Unfortunately!)

John

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, back to Gerald re: the plaques on the front of THE STAND.

This is a longish story, Gerald, so sit back. Our original design for THE STAND was for plaques made out of brass to be affixed to the front of the box. After the many months of production, and our approving all the materials, the final finished books-in-boxes showed up. In fact, every one of the 1,302 books were delivered to our management offices at 666 Fifth Avenue, NYC rather than our distribution center in Des Plaines, IL. So, every empty office on the floor was crammed floor to ceiling with these massive books.

I was, of course, eager to see the final assembled product. So I grabbed a box and opened it, then stared at it in dismay. The brass plaque, so bright and shiny when I approved it, was now afflicted with the "creeping crud." In short, there was oxidation showing up around all the edges of the plaque. I started feverishly opening other boxes, only to find the same situation.

It turns out that even the normal moisture in the air was enough to start the oxidation reacting on the plaques. So, we went back to our supplier and told them that we needed replacements for the whole print run. They came up with the final plaques -- brass, plated with black enamel, and the letters scored through to show up in brass. We then had to send all the books back to them for replacements (which they paid for, of course).

When they sent the re-plaqued books back, they also sent me all the original brass plates that they had removed from the boxes. I still have most of these, though I've sent a few out to various people over the years. That must be the source for your original brass plaque.
    Thank you Peter. That makes perfect sense. I actually think the black looks better on the box as it complements with the whole dark effect. The original hasn't oxidized like some of the others you mentioned, but it makes the box look much different. The change was a better solution.

Gerald

This is a response to Webstar -- I truly appreciate your comments. However, as the Magic Eight Ball says, "Outlook not so good."

THE REGULATORS was the last SK limited I had anything to do with. I'm pretty much out of the limited edition business these days, but I do keep in touch on what's happening.

My understanding is that, today, almost all SK limiteds are done by three small presses -- companies that co-publish and co-distribute each other's books.

The last limited I know of that was done by a press other than these three was published by Centipede. I've not held a Centipede edition in my hands, but I've seen a number of them. They are truly beautiful works. I've always tried to publish limited editions with the idea of them being "the book as art -- but with a book as well." And Centipede's work was truly stunning.

But, I haven't seen anything King-related by them lately -- which I find disappointing. I don't have a clue as to what happened.

As for the three small presses doing most of the King stuff these days -- I'll let discretion take the better part of valor and say "no comment."

Here's to John re: the senior moment. John, I'm truly sorry. I thought you were one of those young bucks writing who thought that someone who reached 40 should be addressed as "Grandpa."

Actually, I'm not sorry -- 70 is still pretty damn vital. I think it's this middle time that I'm in ( 55 to 65) that one starts fretting over what one perceives as the ravages of age. ("Why the hell are my ears sprouting hair and my head isn't?")

Frankly, my dad (who just turned 94) is also a big Stephen King fan -- he's read just about every book SK has written, with the exception of the Dark Tower books.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, this answer is to Chad, about the Lettered Edition of AMERICAN GODS.

You are absolutely correct, Chad. I'd always liked the idea of a lettered limited with a hinged door. Once I had the opportunity to do so with my own company, I pulled out my old designs and put them into effect.

A great observation!
    Thank you Peter. Feel free to drop by the Neil Gaiman thread. I know many of the frequent visitors there own every Hill House Gaiman book - and these are some of my favorite Gaiman limiteds - I am sure we would all love to hear stories related to your relationship with Neil and the production of his books.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

This is a response to Webstar -- I truly appreciate your comments. However, as the Magic Eight Ball says, "Outlook not so good."

THE REGULATORS was the last SK limited I had anything to do with. I'm pretty much out of the limited edition business these days, but I do keep in touch on what's happening.

My understanding is that, today, almost all SK limiteds are done by three small presses -- companies that co-publish and co-distribute each other's books.

The last limited I know of that was done by a press other than these three was published by Centipede. I've not held a Centipede edition in my hands, but I've seen a number of them. They are truly beautiful works. I've always tried to publish limited editions with the idea of them being "the book as art -- but with a book as well." And Centipede's work was truly stunning.

But, I haven't seen anything King-related by them lately -- which I find disappointing. I don't have a clue as to what happened.

As for the three small presses doing most of the King stuff these days -- I'll let discretion take the better part of valor and say "no comment."
    So now I am curious. As a consumer we have all built our views of publishers and the ones that we like and ones that we do not. (There are many threads here complaining about some and others praising them.) As a publisher what are your thoughts on the other publishers and their works?
    -Josh

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Then I opened the book. Shoved within the pages of this book were three letters to Ray written by director John Huston, pleading with Ray to write the script for the movie of "Moby Dick." I then gingerly placed the book back on the shelf and resolved to never make snap judgments again.
    Hey there, Peter -- good to hear from you again. Those letters -- whoa. After reading Green Shadows, White Whale, i have to wonder if he ever regretted working on that film with such an impossible man.

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

I don't have a question but may I say thank you to you and Randall Flagg. This is fascinating stuff and again shows why this is the best King website in the world.
    Jon

This is to Bev -- Wow, I'm so glad to hear from you, Bev. I have an entire shelf in my library devoted to books by you. And I know it's been many years since we've touched base.

As for Ray and Huston -- he always talked about it as a wonderful experience (Bradbury, I mean). But remember, that was many decades after the movie was made. When Jen and I first got to know Ray, he was in his late 70s -- by that time, past events had taken on a luster polished by many years. But I know that Ray, back in his 40s and 50s, was a fiercely independent person and writer -- so I would be fascinated to know the real relationship between these two powerful personalities at the time.

Anyway, great to hear from you, Bev, and hope we can catch up soon.

"I don't have a question but may I say thank you to you and Randall Flagg. This is fascinating stuff and again shows why this is the best King website in the world.
    Jon"

Jon -- Even though I've only really been aware of this site for two weeks, I have to offer my hearty concurrence with your views. I do know a lot about the King publishing history and at least some of the limited editions -- and I'm truly blown away by the depth and breadth of knowledge about the subject shown in the many facets of this website.

Note to all -- It's now 3:14 pm EDT, and I've got to run some errands. But I do promise to be back here and to answer as many questions or enter as many discussions as I can.

It's been a long time since I've been so excited about something, and I truly appreciate the chance to interact with all of you.

Best,
    Peter

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Note to all -- It's now 3:14 pm EDT, and I've got to run some errands. But I do promise to be back here and to answer as many questions or enter as many discussions as I can.

It's been a long time since I've been so excited about something, and I truly appreciate the chance to interact with all of you.

Best,
    Peter
    Thanks Peter. It has been a real treat being able to chat with you!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

Best,
    Peter
    Thanks Peter. It has been a real treat being able to chat with you!
    I agree. Thanks VERY much.

John

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

This has been a fascinating discussion so far. Thanks Peter!

Citizen of Gilead swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek is just really nice swintek's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed

Wow- The Peter Schneider?! Here, at Calvin's Corner? This feels like a major coup, Randall Flagg. Fantastic! Thanks for stopping by, Peter. I am thoroughly enjoying reading the questions and responses, and don't have much to add right now, but wanted to say thanks for coming in, and I hope you come back often. I will also echo cit74's invitation to stop by the Neil Gaiman thread (recently, wrongly, banished to a dark far corner of this forum, despite heated opposition; it took a whole 7 seconds to find it- eternity in 'Net Time): http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...-Gaiman/page77. I am on record numerous times here stating that Anansi Boys is certainly one of the finest limited editions ever produced, and is my personal favorite. I've never seen a nicer book, and have always wanted to say thanks for making it. So, Thank you!

Ron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast