Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Eyes of the Dragon S/L Red number edition of 250 (who received what copy?)

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Eyes of the Dragon S/L Red number edition of 250 (who received what copy?)

My understanding from reading the forum and other sources is that 250 red-numbered copies were given as gifts to people on King's Christmas greeting list. Additionally, 200 copies of The Plant were also given over the course of three years as gifts to people on King's Christmas list. Undoubtedly, many of these copies are still in the possession of those that originally received them; however, I thought it might be interesting to have a source collectors could turn to that tracks which individual on King's Christmas list received each book. I think posting a picture of the number and the signed dedication so all could read the note might be cool. Also, maybe adding a blurb about the individual's connection to King might be interesting as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any copies of the Plant so I will leave it someone else to start that thread. As far as EOTD, here goes:

Carroll Terrell, now deceased, was an English professor of Kings at the University of Maine in Orono. He was the founder of Northern Lights, a small press affiliated with the university. Terrell wrote Stephen King: The Man and Artist published by Northern Lights in 1990. Additionally, The Dark Man, published by Cemetery Dance in 2013 is dedicated by King, "In Memory of Caroll F. Terrell, scholar and friend."

Update to thread--below are the numbers I'm currently aware of and the individual to whom they were inscribed with date inscribed, if known, and relevance to King's life, if known:

8-----Don Grant (12/2/84)(Publisher/Donald M. Grant Publishing, Inc.)
    15----David and Donna Morrell (date unknown)(novelist/creator of "Rambo)
    19----Kay McCauley (11/23/84)(Sister of King's Agent, Kirby McCauley)
    35----Jim Feury/family (11/25/84)(a.k.a. "Mighty John Marshall," D.J. on WCAZ--Author's Note to Christine S/L)
    42----Patti and Ron Norwood (11/24/84)
    43----Greg and Susie McDonald and Doug and Chris (11/23/84)(“Fletch” author)
    50----Charles Grant (11/24/84)(Author/editor)
    59----Chuck Foster (11/25/84)(Legendary DJ @ Bangor radio station)
    60----J.J. West (11/25/84)(DJ @ Bangor radio station)
    74----Stephen Jay Gould (5/2/85)(Harvard professor and popular author on popular science)
    77----Michelle Slung (12/6/84)(Author of MOMILIES, also she is an editor and book critic)
    81----Sam Vaughn (11/25/84)
    88----Jack and Betty Bennett(11/30/84)(Prof. of English/Univ. of Maine)
    93----Marty Ketchum (11/30/84)
    100---Alex Berman (11/30/84)(co-founder of Phantasia Press with Sidney Altus)
    103---David and Sylvia Smith (12/6/84)(inscribed, but not signed on limitation page)
    104---Carroll Terrell (11/30/84)(Prof. of English/Univ. of Maine)
    115---Burt and Virginia Hatlen (11/30/84)(Prof. of English/Univ. of Maine)
    126---Signed, but not inscribed. One of 10 copies given to Michael Alpert for his work on the project.
    131---Rob and Constance Hunting (11/30/84)(Founder/Editior--Puckerbrush Press)
    145---Bob Collins (12/21/84)(inscribed, but not signed at the limitation page)
    146---Bill Roderick (?)(Awaiting further information)
    150---Maryann Palumbo(12/6/84)(King's press agent in early 80's)
    171---Connie Sarpe (12/1/84)(Director of Sales and marketing at Viking)
    174---Arik Verezhensky (4/30/86)(Owner, Gemini Books and Arts)(inscribed, but not signed on limitation page)
    193---Josh Grob (Construction worker @King's home)
    196---Bill Roderick
    197---Terry Tidwell (7/2/92)(also signed by artist, Kenneth Linkhauser, on limitation page)
    215---Chris Steinbrunner (12/2/84)(1934 – 7 July 1993: was an Edgar Award-winning American author, broadcaster and historian specializing in detective film and fiction)
    231---John Sagan (12/19/84)
    239---Dennis McMillan(1/10/85)(publisher)(inscribed, but not signed on limitation page)
    241---Jim French(12/6/84)(inscribed, but not signed on limitation page)
    250---Signed, but not inscribed (SK personal copy)
    Last edited by jcmanske; 12-27-2020 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Additional information

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have number 250 which is undedicated and was Stephen King's personal copy.

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    That's amazing! Is there a story behind how you acquired such a cool copy?

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcmanske View Post
    Sorry! No cool story. I bought it from Stu at Betts about 10+ years ago. It was advertised as SK's personal copy .

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcmanske View Post
    Sorry! No cool story. I bought it from Stu at Betts about 10+ years ago. It was advertised as SK's personal copy .
    Well, it's better than my story which is.. I don't even have one.

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here is mine #93 to Marty Ketchum

Quote Originally Posted by racerx45 View Post

Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny007 View Post
    Please help... Has anyone ever come across a red numbered EOTD where SK inscribed the copy and signed below the inscription but did not sign in the back below the red number? My number is less than #200 and signed in April, 1986. A little late for 1984 Christmas! Could there be scores of unsigned red EOTDs just sitting in his library? Could this be one of the reasons why red EOTDs and lettered EOTDs are so scarce? Does anyone have a red numbered EOTD greater than #174. Lots of questions that I can't answer. Any help or random speculation would be appreciated!
    In light of Johnny007's question above, I thought I'd bump this thread to see if anyone else might respond and to keep the info all in one place.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

#197 to Terry Tidwell

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Jeff,

I wasn't aware of this thread or I would have posed my questions here. I'll try to have pictures taken of my red EOTDs tomorrow. Will post the results soon.

John

Citizen of Gilead Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of Johnny007 has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    #197 to Terry Tidwell

Thanks Alan! So only 23 copies were inscribed in the intervening years... and you have Kenneth Linkhauser's signature, as well! Very nice.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Jeff,

I wasn't aware of this thread or I would have posed my questions here. I'll try to have pictures taken of my red EOTDs tomorrow. Will post the results soon.

John
    No worries, John. I look forward to the pics of yours red EOTDs. It's always interesting to see who made King's Christmas list and what he had to say in the inscription. Here's my other red EOTD:

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

mine is #50
    inscribed to Charles Grant.
    Red signed of course.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have #19 (got lucky there!) to Kay McCauley

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

How about dates signed people...mine was 11/23/84...noticed upthread that one copy was signed YEARS later in July 1992!!!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

LAST POST.....I have the complete Kay McCauley package....all 3 Plant copies + EOTD Red to Kay.....LOOKING FOR EOTD RED to KIRBY MCCAULEY!!! I have the 3 Plant copies inscribed to Kirby, but do not know where the EOTD to Kirby rests? Anyone know???

Country
    Country Flag

Some very nice copies and inscriptions! I updated the first post in the thread to reflect the numbers I'm currently aware of and the individual to whom they were inscribed with date inscribed, if known, and relevance to King's life, if known. As folks post a pic, I'll update the first thread so we can maintain a master list. If anyone knows the relevance to King's life of the one's I haven't updated, please let me know and I'll update the thread. The ones listed for which there are no pictures are copies I have seen on Bett's, in collection threads, or offered for sale on eBay. If you have the interest and inclination, please post pics of your copy.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

David
    you have me beat by one day! Mine is to Charles Grant dated 11-24-84.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Jeff-

You can add this one to the list as I can vouch for it:

EOTD Red #150 inscribed to Maryann Palumbo - King's press agent in the early 1980's....inscription dated 12/6/84

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Jeff-

You can add this one to the list as I can vouch for it:

EOTD Red #150 inscribed to Maryann Palumbo - King's press agent in the early 1980's....inscription dated 12/6/84
    Thanks for the info, David! The list has been updated.

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

What are nf copies with vg++ Slipcase worth?

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    mine is #50
    inscribed to Charles Grant.
    Red signed of course.
    A very enviable association copy...congrats.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Anybody have the copy inscribed to Chuck Miller?

Gunslinger Apprentice JasonUK is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Happy

Please help... Has anyone ever come across a red numbered EOTD where SK inscribed the copy and signed below the inscription but did not sign in the back below the red number? My number is less than #200 and signed in April, 1986. A little late for 1984 Christmas! Could there be scores of unsigned red EOTDs just sitting in his library? Could this be one of the reasons why red EOTDs and lettered EOTDs are so scarce? Does anyone have a red numbered EOTD greater than #174. Lots of questions that I can't answer. Any help or random speculation would be appreciated!
    I have red numbered copy #239 which isn't signed on the limitation page.

It's inscribed to publisher Dennis McMillan.

Country
    Country Flag

Here is another one that is inscribed, but not signed on the limitation page--no. 241 inscribed to Jim French on 12/6/84. Is anyone familiar with his relationship to SK? Curious as to the value of one inscribed, but without the signature on the limitation page.

Country
    Country Flag

I updated the master list at the top of the page to reflect the new Red EOTD offered for sale by David at Bett's Books. Ironically, 19 of the 250 have been identified. The new ones are as follows:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast