Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Dan Simmons

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony Two-Cent has a spectacular aura about Tony Two-Cent has a spectacular aura about Tony Two-Cent has a spectacular aura about Tony Two-Cent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I liked A Winter Haunting.
    I always recall liking A Winter Haunting, although it has been several years since I read it.

This has been a very informative thread. I have a first edition hardcover of The Terror on my bookshelf but I've never read it. It sounds like I definitely need to move it to the top of my read pile.

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Terror is one of my favourite horror novels.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Terror definitely is one of Simmons' best!
    Recently re-read Summer of Night (loved it - again) and A Winter Haunting (not bad at all, but I far and away prefer the first book)

sk

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Considering selling my Summer of Night lettered.
    Not really sure what would be a fair asking price.
    Suggestions anyone??

sk

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Suggestions anyone??

sk
    Well, four numbered editions, which originally sold for $250 on Sub Press, went for $150-$225 on eBay. The lettered sold for $750 on the website, and while there might be a market for it, I would think you might only get in the $400-$500 range. The book is a popular one but there does not appear to be a strong market for Simmons. This is all guesswork though. Good luck.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Suggestions anyone??

sk
    Unfortunately, it's really hard to say. They don't come up that often, and Simmons is very variable, so using lettered editions of his other works as a guide is not always reliable.

On the plus side, this is one of Simmons best-loved works, the volume itself is one of SubPress's best productions, and there were only 26 copies made. I would compare this to the lettered editions of Swan Song or Boy's Life by McCammon. The PC lettered Summer of Night was priced at $500 in the recent SubPress sale, and multiple copies sold in minutes. So that's a very safe lower bound. If you find the right buyer, you could get $1000 to $1200.

However, a lettered Fifth Heart - a lesser work, granted - has been on eBay for ages, priced at sub-$1000, and hasn't sold. So the market might be a bit soft right now, and you may end up getting just over cover price.

I would price it at what you hope to get, and see what people offer.

HBJ

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys - appreciate it.

sk

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I could not sell my Lettered for anymore than issue low run and great book.... but that was it. I was surprised!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Looking for Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion.

FOUND
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Looking for Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion.
    Looks like someone just copped Endymion and Rise of Endymion during the Subterranean sale. I had the same idea but you were quicker.

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL. I did. I've wanted these books since they were published but didn't ever act on it. They were so cheap, I had to grab them.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

You got them at a great price! I'm glad they went to someone here.

I picked up The Fifth Heart in the same sale. There are still some great deals available.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Unfortunately these sales support that Dan just isn't that collectable any more. So sad. I love his earlier works. I would love to see limiteds done of the Joe Kurtz books, perhaps as a set.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I would love to see limiteds done of the Joe Kurtz books, perhaps as a set.
    That'd be great. Either one oversized volume collecting all three books, or three books in a slipcase.

I'd spring for The Crook Factory too. Throw in Les Edwards to paint the Cuban landscapes and you got yourself a sale. (Yes, I'm aware of the Easton Press limited).

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I'd spring for The Crook Factory too. Throw in Les Edwards to paint the Cuban landscapes and you got yourself a sale. (Yes, I'm aware of the Easton Press limited).
    I so want this. The Crook Factory was a fantastic book.

HBJ

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

The AMC Terror adaptation is probably one of the best I've seen. So well made and so very faithful.
    It's a shame no one spends the money and the time to make an SK adaptation into a 10 part episode show with good writing and production values.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    The AMC Terror adaptation is probably one of the best I've seen. So well made and so very faithful.
    It's a shame no one spends the money and the time to make an SK adaptation into a 10 part episode show with good writing and production values.
    you didn't enjoy 11/22/63? it wasn't 100% faithful but i still enjoyed it

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    you didn't enjoy 11/22/63? it wasn't 100% faithful but i still enjoyed it
    It was ok. I'm not a big fan of Franco or the book so...
    It wasn't nearly as well made as The Terror though.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

After thoroughly enjoying watching AMC's The Terror (I read the book a few years ago), I have just read Book of Kali which was a really good read and am now half-way through The Fifth Heart which I'm also really enjoying.

Once you accept that a Dan Simmons book will be a slow-read, you can sit back and enjoy the journey.

I'm thinking either Carrion Comfort or Drood will be next once I finish The Fifth Heart.

I can only agree! I have yet to read The Fifth Heart, so I'm glad to hear you're liking it. His next one is due next year, after a few delays.

(Drood is my personal favourite of his recent work. Also love The Terror, which most people seem to prefer, but Drood just seemed to click with me.)
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sad to say that I gave up on Dan a few years ago, right after a succession of Drood, Black Hills, and Flashback. Didn't care for the middle one, and the first was just too long, even for a gothic throwback. I really, really, really wanted to like the last one, as I was hoping a return to sci-fi might rekindle the old magic, but it too, dragged on too long.

Craigobou - go for Carrion Comfort. It's a true masterpiece.

Gunslinger Apprentice craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau has a spectacular aura about craigobau's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sad to say that I gave up on Dan a few years ago, right after a succession of Drood, Black Hills, and Flashback. Didn't care for the middle one, and the first was just too long, even for a gothic throwback. I really, really, really wanted to like the last one, as I was hoping a return to sci-fi might rekindle the old magic, but it too, dragged on too long.

Thanks DoctorZaius - i think I will take your advice.

Seconded.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Seconded.
    Thirded, excellent story.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast