Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: The Collectible Ernest Cline - Ready Player One

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds fun and exhausting at the same time! Oh, and did he personalize or line the books?
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Gunslinger Apprentice Booknutt is on a distinguished road Booknutt's Avatar

I wish he was coming somewhere near me.

Gunslinger Apprentice Booknutt is on a distinguished road Booknutt's Avatar

Btw, I finished Armada last night and I really enjoyed it.

And anyone who says that it's a rip off of the Last Starfighter or Ender's Game either hasn't bothered reading it or just plain doesn't get it. It's much more of an homage.

And another interesting tidbit. Go look at the IMBD page for the Last Starfighter. Interesting close coincidence.

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good news: every book was signed
    All books were personalized - for those that wanted. He was not much into lining the books - had to ask - and with 24 books a near impossible task to do. He usually wasn't dating them either - I had to ask each time - and some made it through before I could ask.
    You might see an odd inscription in your book - MTFBWYA! - I noticed it last night but did not pay much attention - then I saw it in most when I was going through the books. It took me about 5 seconds to figure out what it was - hint - it is from his favorite movie

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Booknutt View Post
    Btw, I finished Armada last night and I really enjoyed it.

And anyone who says that it's a rip off of the Last Starfighter or Ender's Game either hasn't bothered reading it or just plain doesn't get it. It's much more of an homage.

And another interesting tidbit. Go look at the IMBD page for the Last Starfighter. Interesting close coincidence.
    Totally agree - I am on chapter 5 and will finish it later today. But he loved Last Starfighter and spoke about that. Showed all of the movies that influenced him. If anything he said that his book was a rip-off of Iron Eagle

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    Tiring, very tiring. 90 minute drive there and then back. Signing started at about 8:50 and I was near the end at about 10:30 - so not too bad. The store workers were really nice and helped move things along. But it was extremely difficult to keep track of 24 books, try and talk with Ernie, get a picture, etc.

I told him about the dark tower and that most of the extra books were for members - he said "oh I've been on there in the past" and I mentioned we started a Cline thread and he said he'd have to check it out - so who knows, maybe one day Ernie will happen along our thread and share some insight.

After all of the books were signed (as I was nearing the end) I asked if he wouldn't mind signing a couple Atari cartridges - he was cool with that - but the staff weren't (it was late and one said "I think we can't sign any more toys" - so I only got a couple signed - but that was the same woman who took a picture of me next to Ernie). There were no posed pictures to move the line - but I got one since I was near the end - basically a photo book bomb - so I was happy.

A really enjoyable evening. I even went on amazon afterwards to order fan boys - since I had not seen it (and it's not on Netflix). I'll post some pics shortly
    Sounds like you had a good time and got most everything you wanted signed !

Country
    Country Flag

Slightly more books than what I started the day with

and a quick plug for Keplers - apparently if you buy enough books they throw in a big arse tote

Country
    Country Flag

And a few of Ernie up on the small stage - he is really a fan - and I think still amazed that he gets to hang out with people he had only dreamed of meeting - very down to earth. Showed a bunch of pics of him with GRRM, a halloween party at Seth Green's place, various people in his ECTO 88 delorean...

His favorite movie - might help with that line from above:

tough pic to take off of projector - but that is GRRM as Marty McFly on the Delorean

And the reason for the signing:

Country
    Country Flag

The DJ is pretty cool too:

some swag:

they handed out the earth defense patches to the first few people in line - probably had about 40 of them to hand out and there were over 200 people at the event.

the only game cartridges I was able to get signed:

Country
    Country Flag

And now for my books: the hebrew version with the MTFBWYA! tag

and importance of being ernest

Country
    Country Flag

The no 6-er doodle randomly showed up amongst the books

My ARC:

which happened to have the letter sent to store owners still tucked in:

of course I forgot to pull this out and get him to sign it - oh well

Country
    Country Flag

And if you were not quite sure that I was really there:

Country
    Country Flag

This one is for my niece (a sophomore at PSU - who loved my library at her visit here last month) - and fortunately I talked to her about RPO and she said she loved it - and I mentioned I would see him in a few weeks...after reading the book she had to go out and watch War Games - so I asked for this for her:

I think that is awesome - now I enjoyed War Games - but I was a much bigger fan of Douglas Adams and the Hitchhikers guide - so I asked for something along that line in my 1/1 RPO:

So to me - this one means more - but the war games line is pretty awesome (plus he added one of the no 6-ers in there

And lastly - my copy of Armada:

living just outside Napa/Sonoma - I loved this line and was happy he added it in when I asked - it occurs early on in the book - "In Wine there is Truth"

Country
    Country Flag

Okay - I am done for now, got a lot of books to pack up and ship out today, a book to read too. It was a really fun night - I hope that you all enjoy your books when they arrive to you.

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Wonderful... looking forward to may parcel... Will it arrive tomorrow ^^;-)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lauterer View Post
    Wonderful... looking forward to may parcel... Will it arrive tomorrow ^^;-)
    I don't think you want to know how much it will cost to get there tomorrow...although as far as I remember when I ship UPS (I use them over USPS for overseas) it actually gets there in 2-3 days (or less than a week)

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, looks like it was a great event. Thanks for posting all the pictures.

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Chad - that's amazing ! Thanks for sharing and looks like you had great time. Love the inscriptions!!

Looks like there is some demand to the Hebrew version - I'm in Israel now (coming back Sunday) and can get some copies. Pm me if you're interested

Country
    Country Flag

It was a lot of fun. And a very long day. I got there around 3 or so. Was in line early to get a seat. And then for the signing - those that were in first got to go through the signing line first. So I could have been out of there in about 25 minutes - but instead I waited until the end. Maybe that is one thing to pass on - and maybe that is just me. If I was in line behind someone that had 25 books to sign - I might feel a bit annoyed, plus if I went early in line with that many books - it would have gone too quickly - and I figured the only way I could get a few lined was to wait until the very end (and I have a lot of patience). Also the Keplers staff were appreciative that I waited until the end with all of my books - so it really worked out well. I guess that is my biggest signing tip - have patience and enjoy the whole event. I was in no rush and enjoyed talking to the young kid next to me in line. He just happened to read about the event a few days ago and thought it would be interesting - and picked up RPO that day and started reading it - it was a lot of fun. I got everything out of the event that I wanted (and there was no one else from here that was there to start any finders keepers back n forth as to my actions...jk - )

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone purchased the kindle version of Armada? I am most interested in the audio version (to hear Wil Wheaton again - my wife enjoyed him reading RPO) - but amazon usually discounts the audio version after you buy the kindle book. So far I had not seen any discounts to add the audio version yet (maybe book is too new?). However the Martian was on sale for kindle for about $5.99 and you could add the audio book for another $3.99 - so I was hoping for that kind of deal. So if anyone has purchased and can confirm that would be great. I think i might just have to wait for this one to come up though.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

These just arrived. Not from the signings, but was something I arranged through a mutual friend. Thank you Ernest for signing these! Still waiting on the signed trade of Armada. More pictures in my collection thread.

1st Trade of RPO.

This is a rare state of the Armada proof, with the black spine. More like a bound manuscript.

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool - so is Ernest your mutual friend? Or did you just send them directly for him to sign?

And Ernie mentioned possibly plans for trilogy of both books - i know, i hate the trilogy thing - but he stated the movies plan these things out - and want to expand the series - and if you do not write the next book - they will still make the next movie. Sounds kind of game of thrones HBO/ish - kind of sucks for the writers though.

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool - so is Ernest your mutual friend? Or did you just send them directly for him to sign?

And Ernie mentioned possibly plans for trilogy of both books - i know, i hate the trilogy thing - but he stated the movies plan these things out - and want to expand the series - and if you do not write the next book - they will still make the next movie. Sounds kind of game of thrones HBO/ish - kind of sucks for the writers though.
    They did that with JP The Lost World. They convinced Crichton to write the book and then used almost nothing from the story.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. Basically, a friend of mine who I've known for over 15 years is also a friend of Ernest's. So I sent them to my friend and he was kind enough to get them signed for me. Interestingly, I also discovered we had another connection. In the late 90s/early 2000's, Ernest and I were both on slam teams from different cities, competing at the nationals. But I never met him back then. Another coincidence was that the press that published his early spoken word poetry, was the same one that had published a book of my poetry. Of course, Ernest ended up becoming famous and I didn't!

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing worse than a rushed book - unless you are waiting for GRRM...

Oh I just got my B&N signed Armada today - I would post but it is nothing special. No tipped in page, just signed on front sheet - and actually you would hardly know he signed it. Nothing like the sigs from last night. It looks like his initials. Oh well - that will be the copy I read and then send over to my dad to read. Plus they put and extra bar code sticker on the back over the one on the DJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast