Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pop culture cameos *spoilers potentially*

Gunslinger Apprentice chucknbuck will become famous soon enough chucknbuck's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default pop culture cameos *spoilers potentially*

I keep wondering why the DT series seems to cross paths with non SK pop culture. The wizard of oz stuff, I recall there were star wars light sabers in there somewhere (book V I think), and of course the ubiquitous sneetches. The sneetches in particular bother me because they come after any of the characters times in NY. For all the others, one could argue that the crimson king and/or RF pulled these themes from the characters minds and used them for irony or torment. But the exploding sneetches....It makes me think this whole story is happening in someone's mind who is maybe in a coma or something. Which of course could be the case.

Or is SK simply giving a nod to life long creative influences? If so, that is very self indulgent. For me these things were sort of jarring and pulled me out of the story just a little bit.

Or maybe there is no reason at all, and we end up splitting hairs trying to figure out the "why" and we simply waste our time.

Traveler Thing Fish will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I agree. I was very excited at the end of Wolves when Jake and Eddie notice all these aspects of Earth pop culture that the makers of the Wolves appropriated. I expected this would eventually turn out to be some meaningful aspect of the plot, but the theme never got picked up again as far as I remember.

+ Reply to Thread