Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why Wolves of the Calla Isn't my Favorite Book of the Series

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wait Lisa, this thread is called "Why Wolves of the Calla Isn't my Favorite Book of the Series", not "Why... Is..." - or else the bear would have posted here long ago, too!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I know Bear I'm simply highlighting its merits for those that have not seen the light

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Clever.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tony_A is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I had no issue with the pace of Wolves. After the long wait for it to be published, the longer the better for me. Callahan's story may have been slower paced than a lot of the writing to date, but I found the story compelling enough that I didn't care. I also agree with what Letti said about seeing the Tet exemplify what being "The Line of Eld" meant with the way they handled their duty in the Calla. I enjoyed watching the plan come together and how Roland deftly managed to swing the Calla to his side. I will also say that Wolves contains my single favorite moment of the series which is Oy's greeting to the Calla-folken at the pavillion. To me that scene shows exactly how much of a genius Roland really is. Not only does he show up in the hour of their greatest need, bearing a famous name and famous guns, but he's even brought a talking billy-bumbler whom he has trained to act like a Gunslinger. The dance was but the encore, Oy was the show.
    Agreed.

Also for me, this book really shows Jake's struggle with being a kid and being a gunslinger with everything that happened while he was staying with Benny.

John F. Kennedy Scar is on a distinguished road Scar's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I just started WotC last night. From the few posts I read in this thread; sounds like I have a task before me. Although I am not one to judge by others' measure. Hopefully I will say I loved it when all is read.

John.

I am still thinking about WG and I am not too sure I liked the whole Oz thing...
    Be careful with reading the posts. If you ask me it's a damn good book so it wouldn't be nice to meet spoilers. I hope you will enjoy it.

To tell you the truth that Oz thing didn't work for me either but now that I have read the book 3 or 4 times now it fits and it's okay. (But not my favourite at all.)
    I have been working a lot lately so WotC is going slow. I am on about page 700 or so. I do have to say that I think this book is great! I haven't even gotten to the final confrontation yet either.
    I went to my local book store to get SoS. I found they had that and the final book for seven bucks a piece; they were hard cover too.
    I am going through some hard personal things in my life right now and my saving grace seems to be my ability to escape for hours at a time with DT.

John F. Kennedy Scar is on a distinguished road Scar's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well I just finished Wolves O'. I thought it was a great book. Although I am not too interested in SK writing himself into the story. I am not sure what to expect from SoS.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Well I just finished Wolves O'. I thought it was a great book. Although I am not too interested in SK writing himself into the story. I am not sure what to expect from SoS.
    I felt the same way but now I do like it. You will get used to it. Go on, my friend.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Default It is utterly ridiculous how long it has taken me

to get maybe half way through this book. GOD, SO MUCH DIALOGUE. And the problem is, this part is FULL of just brooooooken English!

Do I really need to read all of this to get it when the good shit comes?!

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

YES! You absolutely must finish this book before you start Song of Susannah. Please don't skip parts. Lots of stuff that happens in WotC prepare you for the fast ride of Song of Susannah.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I suppose it depends on what you consider the "good shit".

Country
    Country Flag

right... I thought the dialog was the good shit...

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Billy, I've merged your thread here

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    With Wolves, I thought it was "good shit" from cover to cover.

Country
    Country Flag

true... true...

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I am spectacularly shocked that this is a thread ,
    this book is a masterpiece. I must go read all you've
    written, I just can't believe any one would feel this way.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Ok, after reading everything , I feel much better maybe we should rename this thread : Why WoC is a really great book!!

The answer is within

Country
    Country Flag

oh, absolutely. At .net we used to have a thread called "Why DT5 Sucks"; I kept writing eulogies there... when I managed to suppress the urge to bearmaul those who posted in compliance with the thread title, that is...

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    With Wolves, I thought it was "good shit" from cover to cover.
    <---

It's a solid number 2 for me.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    Definitely more than one way I can read that comment, especially given the prior comments about "good shit".

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Definitely more than one way I can read that comment, especially given the prior comments about "good shit".
    HAHAHAHAHAHA how did I not even think of that?? HAHAHAHAHAHAH
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    Ok, after reading everything , I feel much better maybe we should rename this thread : Why WoC is a really great book!!

there is already a love for Wolves thread here.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

HAHAHAHAHAHA how did I not even think of that?? HAHAHAHAHAHAH
    That was what was most sweet about it was that I got to use that joke on one of your posts. I guess even the King of Low Brow Humor lets one slip by every now and again.

My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post

there is already a love for Wolves thread here.

So many threads, so little time, this place is still so big to me, I am sure there are an infinite amount of posts to be made

The answer is within

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BillyxRansom View Post
    to get maybe half way through this book. GOD, SO MUCH DIALOGUE. And the problem is, this part is FULL of just brooooooken English!

Do I really need to read all of this to get it when the good shit comes?!
    There is a thread somewhere and it's about the part the people love reading the most. Most of the people have chosen the option "Palavers".
    I love this series. To bits. But the dialogues... man, they are the best.
    (my two cents)

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    There is a thread somewhere and it's about the part the people love reading the most. Most of the people have chosen the option "Palavers".
    Not only people! Not only people!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast