Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Wolves of the Calla Isn't my Favorite Book of the Series

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: Why Wolves of the Calla Isn't my Favorite Book of the Series

Alright, I just finished reread WotC last night. I really like Wolves but it just isn't one of my favorites. I think it is mainly because The Ka-Tet isn't a big focus. This book is for Callahan and the Wolves of the Calla and the Wolves in New York. Everyone had a story to tell. They weren't boring but for me it just dragged. I wanted to read more Roland, Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Oy. I loved reading about them going Todash and seeing the rose.

I'm not saying that this books sucks. I would just rather read The Wastelands or The Drawing of the Three over the WotC.

I'm off to reread Song of Susannah.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

i agree. there was just something about the callas that wasnt good for me....

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is definitely not my favorite book of the series either. It seemed to drag for me as well.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I had a rough time with it as well. I love the respite (if you could call fighting Wolves that) but I really just wanted to move on.

I used to feel that way about W&G and don't anymore so maybe my opinion of this one will evolve as well
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

it was built up all the up to confronting the wolves and then it was over...

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved this book so much. Yeah, the ka-tet wasn't in focus but the way they worked together... the way they couldn't say no and they ahd to help strangers... they way they talked to each other and respected Roland.
    And Roland's dance...
    I do love this book.

Roland would have understood.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger1987 View Post
    it was built up all the up to confronting the wolves and then it was over...

Roland did say a few time in WotC that the build up and planning took the longest and the fight would last five minutes. And it did. Get in, get out, geterdone.

Letti, for me it was the telling of tales that was super slow. I realize that King had to give back story to Callahan and the Calla but sheesh I just wanted the ka-tet to finish up and move on.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love when books are super extrem slow. I am a perv.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I had no issue with the pace of Wolves. After the long wait for it to be published, the longer the better for me. Callahan's story may have been slower paced than a lot of the writing to date, but I found the story compelling enough that I didn't care. I also agree with what Letti said about seeing the Tet exemplify what being "The Line of Eld" meant with the way they handled their duty in the Calla. I enjoyed watching the plan come together and how Roland deftly managed to swing the Calla to his side. I will also say that Wolves contains my single favorite moment of the series which is Oy's greeting to the Calla-folken at the pavillion. To me that scene shows exactly how much of a genius Roland really is. Not only does he show up in the hour of their greatest need, bearing a famous name and famous guns, but he's even brought a talking billy-bumbler whom he has trained to act like a Gunslinger. The dance was but the encore, Oy was the show.

Donkey Thief Mike Beck is on a distinguished road Mike Beck's Avatar

it's my least favorite of the series.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I agree with R of G as is usually the case. By presenting an embodiment of how the Line of Eld functions, the book really is about the Tet and how they fulfill their respective roles as gunslingers. And yes, even Oy R of G. I love that scene, in fact it brought tears to my eyes. It was immensely endearing for me. I kind of wish the battle was a little more drawn out, but I understand why it might have been short. Wolves of the Calla was one of my favorites, and certainly my favorite of the final three installments. I also agree about the drawn out aspect of it. Waiting so long for it, I couldn't get enough. There was no way that it could have been too long- I relished every single word of it. I also loved the Pere's story and had no problem accepting him as a member of the Tet. Callahan became one of my favorite characters of the whole series and of King's whole corpus.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I agree with R of G as is usually the case. By presenting an embodiment of how the Line of Eld functions, the book really is about the Tet and how they fulfill their respective roles as gunslingers. And yes, even Oy R of G. I love that scene, in fact it brought tears to my eyes. It was immensely endearing for me. I kind wish the battle was a little more drawn out, but I understand why it might have been short. Wolves of the Calla was one of my favorites, and certainly my favorite of the final three installments. I also agree about the drawn out aspect of it. Waiting so long for it, I couldn't get enough. There was no way that it could have been too long- I relished every single word of it. I also loved the Pere's story and had no problem accepting him as a member of the Tet. Callahan became one of my favorite characters of the whole series and of King's whole corpus.
    Right-on Obscure..this is why its my second favorite of the series. I also love Callahan's story and how it is so closely connected with Roland's ka-tet.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

I'd have been happy to read a longer battle sequence as well, but given the truth about the Wolves, how much longer could it really have been. Besides, we got to go via Roland's dream to Jericho Hill and see a bit of that battle as well, so there you go action fans, two battles, one book, plus Eddie gets to throttle Biondi and Andolini, and Callahan whacks vampires. Works for me.

Jude, I'm always glad to see someone else appreciate the sheer beauty of Oy's scene at the pavillion. Hands down my single favorite moment of the series, and one I easily admit I cry upon reading every time.

Country
    Country Flag

I love that Jake can be a child again... but still he can't. It tells so much about the gunslinger life.

definitely Letti. as many know, jake is my fav of all of king's many characters. i loved that so much of wolves deals with jake, and shows him both as boy and as a gunslinger. i think the friendship with benny is very well written, and very touching. i also felt for jake in the scene where he is up at night in benny's room remembering his own room in NY and how he both misses and doesn't miss it

Country
    Country Flag

Oh yesyes. Such great parts.
    And I loved about this book that this was the first book when Roland really tried to express his feelings. Or that's how I felt. I might be wrong but I felt it.
    He wanted to love and he let himself love. And it's such a big thing! What a change...
    He could love Jake... and at this part the members of the ka-tet could get even closer to each other even if they didn't pay attention for their own problems but for others'.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

R of G, I also thought Jake and Benny's friendship was well done and how that led to so much inward strife with Jake concerning Benny's da. We see Jake handle himself as a man and it is a joy while also rather sad. He is true, but at the cost of whatever remained of his childhood. It was also interesting to see how this made Roland fiercely proud but at the same time sorry as well- knowing that difficult decisions were immanent. It reminded me a lot of Roland's test of manhood and perhaps presents Jake as the youngest of all gunslingers.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dud-a-chum? is on a distinguished road Dud-a-chum?'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Dark Tower V: The Life and Lies of Pere Callahan.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I didn't think the wolves and their story was developed well enough. They were supposed to be scary but they just weren't to me.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    I didn't think the wolves and their story was developed well enough. They were supposed to be scary but they just weren't to me.
    We never get the story behind the Wolves. From what I'm reading in the first issue of The Long Road Home, we might just be...
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

I am rereading the Wolves now and I love it sooo much.
    The wolves needn't be so scary. The things they did spoke without a scary look. Maybe that's why they were so horrible... some fellas on gray horses with terrifying wapons kidnapping little children to make them zombies.
    For me it's scary enough.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I agree with R of G as is usually the case. By presenting an embodiment of how the Line of Eld functions, the book really is about the Tet and how they fulfill their respective roles as gunslingers. And yes, even Oy R of G. I love that scene, in fact it brought tears to my eyes. It was immensely endearing for me. I kind wish the battle was a little more drawn out, but I understand why it might have been short. Wolves of the Calla was one of my favorites, and certainly my favorite of the final three installments. I also agree about the drawn out aspect of it. Waiting so long for it, I couldn't get enough. There was no way that it could have been too long- I relished every single word of it. I also loved the Pere's story and had no problem accepting him as a member of the Tet. Callahan became one of my favorite characters of the whole series and of King's whole corpus.
    Right-on Obscure..this is why its my second favorite of the series. I also love Callahan's story and how it is so closely connected with Roland's ka-tet.
    Agreed agreed agreed. I didn't care for the pregnancy bits, but that's true of it in any of the books as I don't care for that as a plot device in the first place. The truth of Eld, the strength of the Tet, and the Pere's backstory sustain me through the other parts quite well.

I had - and have - more to say, but I can't think. I am zomby!!1
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

John F. Kennedy Scar is on a distinguished road Scar's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just started WotC last night. From the few posts I read in this thread; sounds like I have a task before me. Although I am not one to judge by others' measure. Hopefully I will say I loved it when all is read.

John.

I am still thinking about WG and I am not too sure I liked the whole Oz thing...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I just started WotC last night. From the few posts I read in this thread; sounds like I have a task before me. Although I am not one to judge by others' measure. Hopefully I will say I loved it when all is read.

John.

I am still thinking about WG and I am not too sure I liked the whole Oz thing...
    Be careful with reading the posts. If you ask me it's a damn good book so it wouldn't be nice to meet spoilers. I hope you will enjoy it.

To tell you the truth that Oz thing didn't work for me either but now that I have read the book 3 or 4 times now it fits and it's okay. (But not my favourite at all.)

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally I love WotC. On a recent reread I found Drawing of the Three to be the most exciting book, because I knew what it meant, what the implications of Roland drawing these people would be...and similarly Jake's drawing in The Wastelands - but for overall reader staisfaction and enjoyment I'd chose Wolves.

For a start its just so...meaty! A tale packed with everything you could imagine - plus I'm a sucker for westerns.

Like Jayson, Letti and Ryan - I loved seeing the ka-tet in action, in the way gunslingers were intended to work.
    It was great to enjoy Jake's brief timeout back into childhood and so, SO good to get reacquainted with the Pere.

I loved the visits into New York that occured too, real tense stuff, I had a real tangible sense of time being of the essence - great writing!

I enjoyed Roland's romance with Rosalita too - someone that, in another world, he really could have made a life with.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast